Anime

Sekiro

I've been refreshing various manga sites hoping that the new scanlated chapter of One Piece has been uploaded, this current story arc is immense! Thursday morning One Piece manga and Monday morning One Piece anime are the best days of the week for me at the moment. :)

And I agree with the comment on the previous page, best anime ever (honourable mentions to Death Note, Tengen and FMA/2) and one of the finest TV shows ever. I only started watching it in June 2007 (watched 315-ish episodes in little over a month :) ) and it wasn't until this January that I started reading the manga (can't believe I managed to hold off that long!). It's hard to believe that more people in the West (not including Japan) seem to watch the awful-by-comparison Bleach and Naruto, neither is anywhere near One Piece's league yet somehow they are more popular.

Now the sooner I fall asleep, the sooner I can wake up and enjoy One Piece manga in bed!

neither is anywhere near One Piece's league yet somehow they are more popular.

There are many, many factors involved here

1) One Piece is largely a comedy series, the other two are not. Comedy series aren't really as popular as "action" series

2) Bleach and Naruto were both available for mass download consumption in both forms straight from the go. I can't speak for the manga, but the OP anime was going for a few years before fansubs were easily available. Uncut license only really got going recently

3) They were both licensed much quicker and so available legally much quicker.

4) The other two appeal to the Dragonball fans more then OP (not a small group)

5) Thats just the way it is

Personally I prefer the comedy to the action in One Piece :)

Sorry if I'm rehashing what Dandy said but I'll add that One Piece just doesn't have the same exposure as Bleach and Naruto. I only ever see a handful of OP volumes available on the high street next to reams of books and DVDs from the other two series. Looking at OP's Wikipedia page, it seems the anime hasn't been that successful in the US, presumably due to Dandy's point 1). I've always assumed that the popularity of an anime series amongst a younger demographic plays a key role in turning a franchise into a mainstream success (as with Naruto). I guess that's not going to happen in OP's case.

Perhaps this is also conclusive proof that samurai and ninjas are more popular than pirates. :(

As much as I admire One Piece's boundless imagination and sense of enthusiasm, I personally can't get past the art. It unnerves me, especially the eyes.

The cold, staring eyes.

I watched Origin, Spirits of the Past. I was with it most of the way through. I can't believe how hilariously bad the last quarter was. I'm still laughing. From things that are bizzare to things that plain make no sense. Seriously,

a volcano that not only walks but even manages to erupt while not even attached to the ground, where magma comes from.

Just watched episode 8 of Gurren Lagann.

Oh Kamina, who will call Yoko a fat ass now

:(

It always surprises me that some numpties (even Piro if memory serves, albeit temporarily :) ) stopped watching the series at that point.

I watched Origin, Spirits of the Past. I was with it most of the way through. I can't believe how hilariously bad the last quarter was. I'm still laughing.

I've been tempted to pick up a copy of Origin on many occasions, but then I keep reading certain things about the film and thinking better of it. Same goes for Kai Doh Maru.

It always surprises me that some numpties (even Piro if memory serves, albeit temporarily :) ) stopped watching the series at that point.

Probably because they were worried it would all depend on that whiney Simon. He's not the greatest of characters by this point so I can only hope he improves.

Looking at OP's Wikipedia page, it seems the anime hasn't been that successful in the US,

This is due to the edited version that was broadcast originally. Funimation are doing it uncut, but they've only done a couple of 13ep boxsets so far. It's hard to judge if the fanbase is developing or not, but Viz spamming the releases to catch up next year will probably help, and is a sign that they are selling quite a few copies. That Viz are going to the huge effort of bulk tlanslating it now for "catchy up" release in a few months like they did with Naruto suggests the fanbase is there.

You make a point about OP not being on bookshelves as much as the other two, but this isn't a OP issue as such, it's just the way it is for most series. Of course, part of that is the number of volumes. Shops don't usually keep every volume in stock, but once the bulk releases are out, there should be more of Op on the shelves - it's certainly the case for Naruto.

Keep watching. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD IT GETS EVEN BETTER

I just loved the interplay between Yoko and Kamino "move that fat ass" all the time. Priceless. Just hit episode 10 and that dopey Princess has shown up seems to be lagging a bit but I have high hopes it will pickup.

Also is the voice for Kamino the same guy who does Zorro in One Piece?

I just loved the interplay between Yoko and Kamina "move that fat ass" all the time. Priceless. Just hit episode 10 and that dopey Princess has shown up seems to be lagging a bit but I have high hopes it will pickup.

Also is the voice for Kamino the same guy who does Zorro in One Piece?

Don't worry, Nia gets better, all the characters get better. Episodes 8-X are the depression episodes, which as a viewer I took the same time to get over Kamina's death as Simon did

Bakemonogatari 8

getting swung round by his intestineaaaaaarghhhh

Oh man. It's amazing how good that was.

The violence loses some of it's effect due to the colours being all messed up but it retains enough of the intended impact for you to go "WARGHHHHH!"

Kaiba last year, Bakemono this year. I await to see what gem next year holds with baited breath.