rllmuk

Nah, I'm guessing they got it either because they knew they could sell it using their normal 'big name' tactics (It's Ghost in the Shell! Buy it!), or simply they got the license to distribute all GITS related titles with the first film.

Oh, and if you don't class the release of Azumanga Daioh by ADV Films as an essential PAL release then you are DEAD INSIDE.

FACT.

:P

Edit: and Stand Alone Complex disappointed me :D

I gave up on SAC. Not because I didn't like it or anything, but looking at rapidly changing subs at the bottom of the screen was seriously hurting my brain. The chatroom episode sums it up perfectly. God, my poor brain...

Oh, and if you don't class the release of Azumanga Daioh by ADV Films as an essential PAL release then you are DEAD INSIDE.

FACT.

:D

I'll let you know once I've seen it, but before then, as with everything, I reserve judgement.

X isn't shite. If you want to watch shite anime, pick almost any Go Nagai anime adaptation in existence.

I suggest Devilman - especially the dub.

Actually, speaking of Devilman, has ADV got round to explaining why Devil Lady hasn't made an appearance yet? We received review copies as far back as August last year, but it seems the release has been postponed indefinitely.

I'd ask the press office, but like every other press office in british anime:

meh.

More sense (and truth) out of a reverse lie detector. I think they use them in North Korea (controversial).

Biggerbob, I've already extolled the virtues of Wings of Honneamise/Royal Space Force in the Akira thread. Probably my favourite anime movie of all time ever etc.

The only reason Perfect Blue gets praise is because it is anime... Compared to a live-action film, it handled stalkers and issues of growing up with as much subtlety as Grange Hill, but with extra raping and violence because those things are apparently compulsory in anime.

I also couldn't believe how thick the main character was. Oh, and the 'what's going on' ending was tedious film-school stuff, the 'twist' was pathetically obvious, and the chase was just plain embarrasing.

Ok, perhaps it should be praised for not featuring big robots beating the crap out of each other, but compared to Akira, or anything by Ghibli it is shit.

The worst anime I have ever seen, though, is X. I was pissing myself laughing throughout it. Maybe I haven't seen that many bad anime films, though.

A good anime that hasn't been mentioned is Wings of Honneamise. The animation is stunning, and the plot is a nice alternate universe thing. It's also quite slowly-paced (not overly-dramatic) which makes a nice change.

I've seen two versions of this film: I think the more-cut one is actually better, because it loses a completely redundant and out-of-place rape scene.

have to disagree with what you said about Perfect Blue- its a great exploration about the corrosion of identity in contemporary culture. It does take a few viewings to properly appreciate what's going on, but that is helped by the fact that quite a few elements of the film are lost in translation- for example when Mima talks to her mother on the phone her accent changes and shows that she's from the country and puts on a city accent- which goes some way into explaining her naivity (sic?). I loved the mix of different realities, and if you guessed the exact twist at the end before it happened then you must be psychic or something.

By the way, has anyone seen the Helsing series? The dvds have been staring at me in HMV but I don't know if they're any good.

I'll let you know once I've seen it, but before then, as with everything, I reserve judgement.

X isn't shite. If you want to watch shite anime, pick almost any Go Nagai anime adaptation in existence.

Actually, speaking of Devilman, has ADV got round to explaining why Devil Lady hasn't made an appearance yet? We received review copies as far back as August last year, but it seems the release has been postponed indefinitely.

I'd ask the press office, but like every other press office in british anime:

meh.

More sense (and truth) out of a reverse lie detector. I think they use them in North Korea (controversial).

Biggerbob, I've already extolled the virtues of Wings of Honneamise/Royal Space Force in the Akira thread. Probably my favourite anime movie of all time ever etc.

Actually, I'd say Violence Jack is the worst of the Go Nagai adaptations - dub or without. To be fair to Devilman....has some good dialogue

"Shit a demon!"

"fuckin' eh, lets run!"

I dunno, there's just so many to choose from.

And as for Manga getting distribution rights to SAC, it's shocking because

1. Other than Akira and GitS (not the wanky edition released way back when), what other DVD have they released in the past year or so that anyone would watch, let alone buy? The slimmest of profit margins, my friends.

2. Ergo why they've relied almost entirely on their back catalogue, with the only recent purchase being Read or Die, which they might have had a hand in, I can't recall and don't care to, tbh. Oh, and dead leaves, which they've injected cash into.

The big shock for me is: even if Palm Pictures was doing screamingly well (which they aren't particularly), would they shovel money over to Manga Ent? It's not even a fully-fledged company anymore, just a name for them to peddle their cartoon sex and gore under. Even with the Bandai tie-in I'm dubious as to the long term benefits for Palm.

If it all goes wrong, and these hefty investments don't pay off, we could see the end of Manga Entertainment as a brand - again.

Actually, I'd say Violence Jack is the worst of the Go Nagai adaptations - dub or without. To be fair to Devilman....has some good dialogue

"Shit a demon!"

"fuckin' eh, lets run!"

I dunno, there's just so many to choose from.

And as for Manga getting distribution rights to SAC, it's shocking because

1. Other than Akira and GitS (not the wanky edition released way back when), what other DVD have they released in the past year or so that anyone would watch, let alone buy? The slimmest of profit margins, my friends.

2. Ergo why they've relied almost entirely on their back catalogue, with the only recent purchase being Read or Die, which they might have had a hand in, I can't recall and don't care to, tbh. Oh, and dead leaves, which they've injected cash into.

The big shock for me is: even if Palm Pictures was doing screamingly well (which they aren't particularly), would they shovel money over to Manga Ent? It's not even a fully-fledged company anymore, just a name for them to peddle their cartoon sex and gore under.

If it all goes wrong, and these hefty investments don't pay off, we could see the end of Manga Entertainment as a brand - again.

Sphinx, myself and Meh (see how much respect? bold for your name, meh :D )will disagree on this one, but yes, Hellsing is worth buying. I've not heard the dub, though I hear the use of English voices is very well handled.

Manga are in the credits for GITS SAC, they put some money in to fund it.... also manga have also funded a new ova called dead leaves (13 eps)...

going back abit... i do think we should prais ADV, they released dual langue dvd with extras comparable to the usa!!! (even with all the bbfc costs!!!)...and theyve been releasing abut 6+ dvds a month for over a year!! MvM have only kicked into gear recently after some of there deals they set up last year went trough.... the main one being the fact they now share PAL mastering costs with madman (austrailin distributer) and they use the money saved to get there titles through the bbfc... even with that said you got to thank adv for there big push in the uk market... well i think so at least....

ive got perfect blue on dvd, only watched once. I didnt really like it all that much to be honest, very confusing etc. Ill have to rewatch it sometime.

That was part of the appeal to me- halfway through you completely lose sight of what's really happening and you just have a bundled of delusion switcheroos. Shame it went for such a generic thriller final-act with a predictable twist, I would've liked some of the questions left unanswered, and maybe an even darker finale where you don't have a clue who's doing what and why.

After giving my room two new coats of paint, and installing broadband- the last thing I want to do is post at 2am.

But I'll try. Hard. Just a bit.

The best thing I've seen/read [released] in the past few months has to be Alien Nine. I was a bit late to the Party*, but it made it more satisfying [paying less]. Three slots of Manga, the first and guts of the second are part of the DVD that came in the lovely box.

Your usual cutesy school girls kick ass type humour and action, with some intresting friendship/responsibility themes. It was really dark at times. The end of the Manga series almost made me think if I had picked up the right book, and some of the developments with the Aliens aren't really explained properly. They just sort of hit you.

The Anime is 'FROM TEH CREATORS OF COWBOY BEBOP! DEDNDENDENDEDADA!', or so they pimp. You can see it in the action scenes, the very first pacey fight scene just made me see Spike when I blinked. It might be short, but that's part of it's beauty- it would be dragging onto a 12 epper if it went into anymore detail- you have your few small events then the huge 'life changing' ending one.

I strongly recommooommend it.

*In joke for those who've read or seen it

Oh! As I said, got Broadband today- so I can finally stop having both feet on the Island of Released, and can sink my teeth into One Piece and Sexy Commando.

"fuckin' eh, lets run!"

It's actually "Fuckin' A! Let's get outta here!!!" followed by some rampant dub grunts, and then a window being smashed with a motionless "HURGH!!!!".

We watched some of Devilman in a 'hazy state' shall we say, last summer and from this moment the whole series became a comedy. An example of Anime that certainly has NOT aged well.

It's actually "Fuckin' A! Let's get outta here!!!" followed by some rampant dub grunts, and then a window being smashed with a motionless "HURGH!!!!".

We watched some of Devilman in a 'hazy state' shall we say, last summer and from this moment the whole series became a comedy. An example of Anime that certainly has NOT aged well.

I don't know whether to applaud you or shock your balls for recalling that in such fine detail :D

You're right, it hasn't aged well - but it does, I suppose, have a kind of retro charm and certainly boasts comedic value.

Albeit unintentional, but it does make me laugh.

I don't know whether to applaud you or shock your balls for recalling that in such fine detail  :D

You're right, it hasn't aged well - but it does, I suppose, have a kind of retro charm and certainly boasts comedic value.

Albeit unintentional, but it does make me laugh.

Like I said, hazy state. We had to pause it after the 30 seconds of madness following it.

It's up there for quoting on drunken night out alonside "I demand some booze!" from Withnail and I.

I mean to do this tommorow in more detail but...

HELLSING IS SET IN ENGLAND!!!!!!! This means that the dub is cheesily entertaining and accurate. Easily one of the better dubs in recent years that have come into my hands, but I'm afraid it could be thanks to the English accents. Anywho, the box is going for £40 in Trading and is money well spent, even if it does lose steam after episode 6.

There's a Studio Ghibli movie whose name that escapes me but it features a Japanese rendition of John Dever's 'Country Road' - anyone old enough to recall from which movie it's from?

There's a Studio Ghibli movie whose name that escapes me but it features a Japanese rendition of John Dever's 'Country Road' - anyone old enough to recall from which movie it's from?

Whispers of the Heart.

It's one of the next Ghibli films listed for UK release.

Azumanga: fair enough, if you haven't seen it then it'd be unfair to comment.

X: the Movie is shite. Pointless violence and pretty characters is all it has to offer. It also spoils the series somewhat, so start with that if you're interested, eh? ;)

The series, however, is excellent. Shows just how shoujo ought to be done (unlike the twaddle that is Escaflowne :o)

Go Nagai: I wouldn't know. I've never picked up any of the 'crap' Manga Entertainment videos/DVD's and so haven't seen it.

A friend of mine loves all that stuff though, for the cheesiness. He also loves Legend of the Overfiend and Fist of the North Star because he finds them really funny, so go figure...

Devilman - the dub was fantasically translated!

"You just killed a human - and ya didnt even eat him!"

I have to admit that some dubbed versions have a certain fun appeal to them!

I'll try and remember some more later

My copy of Initial D Battle Stage turned up last night with Battlefield Baseball - looking forward to some time off now!

have to disagree with what you said about Perfect Blue- its a great exploration about the corrosion of identity in contemporary culture. It does take a few viewings to properly appreciate what's going on, but that is helped by the fact that quite a few elements of the film are lost in translation- for example when Mima talks to her mother on the phone her accent changes and shows that she's from the country and puts on a city accent- which goes some way into explaining her naivity (sic?). I loved the mix of different realities, and if you guessed the exact twist at the end before it happened then you must be psychic or something.

By the way, has anyone seen the Helsing series? The dvds have been staring at me in HMV but I don't know if they're any good.

NOOOO, PLEASEEEEE don't buy Hellsing. Well, if you do, just get the first 2 discs or so. It's great up until episode 8, where the drawing and plot go down the shithole.

On the subject of Go Naki - the Kecko Karmen Anime was one of the funnist things I think I have ever seen. Call it childish stupidity - but a head teacher called Satan Toecheese just demands respect!

and the dub......my god it was good :o

X the movie is good only after watching the series, then you appreciate it alot more. Howevever, l agree CLAMP made a beautiful movie but it does suck alot

l recommend GTO, highly recommended

Everyone forgets Street Fighter, the one by Manga this is a classic which I can watch over and over again its what the live action film should have been like ;)

Everyone forgets Street Fighter, the one by Manga this is a classic which I can watch over and over again its what the live action film should have been like ;)

It's not "by" Manga. GRARRGGHHHHHHHH.

It's not "by" Manga. GRARRGGHHHHHHHH.

Settle down Meh, don't get worked up over something so trivial.

We don't want it to end up like the god-awful Manga UK forum, do we? Snobbery and elitism are practically pre-requisites of entry over there. Shame even the "elite" can barely string together a coherent argument between them though.

As for street fighter, it wasnt fantastic, but its saving grace were the fantastically animated fight scenes, still some of the best I've seen.

Is there a working version of GiTS on PAL yet? (I've seen the "special edition" around). Given that the previous versions had various mistakes/problems - Mine has the....

really annoying...

delay in the sound!

As for street fighter, it wasnt fantastic, but its saving grace were the fantastically animated fight scenes, still some of the best I've seen.

It was as dull as dishwater, probably made to appeal to the US audiences a bit more.

Without the fight scenes it would have been as randomly awful as the movies!

What could have saved it would have been an ace soundtrack baby! By me! Yeah!

Is there a working version of GiTS on PAL yet? (I've seen the "special edition" around). Given that the previous versions had various mistakes/problems - Mine has the....

really annoying...

delay in the sound!

Mine too. Pissed me off something rotten, that did. Grrr.

As I mentioned in another post, the current GITS DVD re-issue with slipcase has the sound correction - just look it up on the Rewind site and it will tell you this.

Thing is, after everyone saying it's in the HMV Sale at £8.99 I can't find the damn DVD anywhere anymore :P