I hate this time of year, that long wait til the new season starts. As a whole 2018 has been by far one of the best I've experienced for regular shows, some really huge hits. Spending a few days hoovering up what I've missed so just started Bloom into You.

Have to admit, I haven’t watched anything new on CR properly for three or so seasons. Everything I have tried I’ve dropped after an episode or two. Mostly caught up with older anime instead, but unfortunately some series watch-throughs got prematurely concluded when Funimation pulled their content...

ISEKAI! I can finally put a name on the genre I loathe! Isekai! They're all shit!

(except for Tanya the Evil and maybe Konosuba) 

8 hours ago, VN1X said:

ISEKAI! I can finally put a name on the genre I loathe! Isekai! They're all shit!

800px-autopx-scale-to-width-down.jpg

New Isekai show out today called Rising of the Shield Hero.  Has an early preview on CR and... it's actually pretty good. Really dark with a good twist compared to the usual stuff and I'm really looking forward to this one.  With stuff like the Slime just as well just goes to show this genre has so much more to offer :lol:

Yeah it's brilliant. Watched it today. Slime is the only other show that was new that I was excited to watch each week. This looks to be right up there.

On 22/12/2018 at 16:31, John Edward Gammell said:

First sale items starting to trickle through. 

GopuyKcl.jpg

"Favarrrooo!!!"

2018 was a pretty good year I think, plenty of shows that appealed to those of us possibly on the older end of the age scale who watch this stuff.

Standouts for me were Golden Kamuy (screw the cgi bear nit pickers, the characters and world building far made up for any short comings on the art side), Run With The Wind, Banana Fish and of course those loveable idiots from Yorozuya Gin-Chan.

SSSS Gridman was very good and Trigger really stuck the landing, thankfully. Megalobox, Grancrest Senki were both great too.

Nothing for the upcoming 2019 seasons has really caught my eye yet. 

• Upvote 1

I only realised last night that Gridman was developed from an earlier short from about 2015. I had seen the short before but had apparently forgotten enough to not make the connection.

Asirpa's faces are the best.

On 05/01/2019 at 09:40, VN1X said:

Is that the generic 'woke up in an alternate fantasy world' stuff? Or the more limited 'ended up in a virtual game world only it was REAL' stuff? I lose track. Not forgetting anime set in a fantasy world that is actually based on a game world played straight, as if it were real (like the original Druaga series back in the day).

It’s someone from one world (usually this one) waking up in another world. I think the word actually means “another world”. Specifically another world in an alternate or parallel universe rather than just another planet like Mars or whatever. 

Ended up watching the entirety of Goblin Slayer which actually turned out to be somewhat decent by the end. Not sure if I want more but I'll definitely give the second season a shot if it's more along the lines of the second half of this season. 

Liked the first episode of The Magnificent Kotobuki. Mostly no bullshit dogfighting. Unlike the season's other plane show.

Started B: The Beginning on Netflix. Such a drastic step up in terms of animation and style from Goblin Slayer. :lol:

On 13/01/2019 at 23:29, VN1X said:

Started B: The Beginning on Netflix. Such a drastic step up in terms of animation and style from Goblin Slayer. :lol:

Any goblins?

Just got back from seeing Dragon Ball Super: Broly

It was awesome and made Broly a more sympathetic character this time around. Some great jokes and stunning action and animation all around.

Well worth a watch.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Zero9X said:

Just got back from seeing Dragon Ball Super: Broly

It was awesome and made Broly a more sympathetic character this time around. Some great jokes and stunning action and animation all around.

Well worth a watch.

Agreed. It was spectacular.

It's success in the States has caught Hollywood by surprise -

https://deadline.com/2019/01/dragon-ball-super-broly-box-office-opening-glass-1202538734/

$7 million on opening day last Wednesday led to $22 million over 6 days.

If you have yet to book tickets, It's available here in IMAX as well -

https://www.odeon.co.uk/films/dragon_ball_super_broly_sfl_subtitled_foreign_language/18280/

(Link is for the Subbed version. Film is also available Dubbed if that's your preference.)

• Upvote 1

Is it completely standalone then? I'm up to episode 53 on DBS (the Trunks saga) so not sure if it would spoil anything. 

GOGETA GOGETA BROLY BROLY BROLY 

I'm sure it went something like that lol it was cheesy great. Would have liked to have heard a new proper song though like the ultra Instinct one in super.

On 24/01/2019 at 00:45, Djx said:

If you have yet to book tickets, It's available here in IMAX as well -

https://www.odeon.co.uk/films/dragon_ball_super_broly_sfl_subtitled_foreign_language/18280/

(Link is for the Subbed version. Film is also available Dubbed if that's your preference.)

Odeon have pulled a bait and switch with Dragonball Super: Broly at the last minute.

Looks like almost all of the Subbed versions listed in the above link for Odeon have been switched to the Dubbed version (The exception is just 2 Odeon cinemas).

That's annoying, to say the least. Ah well, still going into town to watch it again in IMAX.

Edit -

Manga UK confirmed the error in listings was due to a glitch -

https://twitter.com/MangaUK/status/1088756722876014593

Wentto watch Dragon ball Broly at the cinema last thursday and thought it was incredible seeing it on the big screen,only film ive been to see where it got a standing ovation at the end and if anyones interested the whole film is on youtube in 720p 

• Upvote 2

How is that Shield Hero only on its 4th episode? It's packed more story into those few shows that some other 24 ep shows manage!  It reminded me of the big Rem scene with just the two of them talking. 

Spoiler

The effect he's had on on the girl all along without realising, close to breaking down and she just lifts back up in front of all the crazy sneering crowd.  Then that ending when he can taste food again, man that was insanely good. Honestly had me close to blubbing :lol: why the hell aren't more people watching it?!?!?!