Here is Greenwood, Urusei Yatsura, Kimagure Orange Road.

Yay! This always gets overlooked in these Anime threads, but it really is great stuff. Loads of fun, and actually funny. I've seen them trickling out on DVD, but I haven't seen 'Remember My Love' or 'Only You' yet - two of my favourites.

I've been very fortunate to receive what is possibly the funniest, smartest, and altogether loveliest anime in recent times through my letterbox.

MVM, I love you. I truly do. For they have given me a Fruits Basket full of joy. All they need do now is make sure my copy makes it through the post before the release date!

I had to come on here and spew forth my newfound love for this gem. I've just finished watching it and I'm glad to say that humour has finally returned to anime.

I'm not saying anime has been totally devoid of humour lately, no sir. What I'm saying is that there hasn't been a "comedy" anime that's so subtle, over the top and totally engaging as this. This series is going right up there with Maison Ikkoku and Ranma 1/2 in my "funniest anime of all time" elite.

And thankgod too. I was worried that the only thing the UK market could look forward to were lowbrow, nonsensical, uninspired anime like Excel Saga.

And best of all, my writer block has gone, and it's all thanks to Fruits Basket.

Jesus, it just keeps on giving!

I've been very fortunate to receive what is possibly the funniest, smartest, and altogether loveliest anime in recent times through my letterbox.

MVM, I love you. I truly do. For they have given me a Fruits Basket full of joy. All they need do now is make sure my copy makes it through the post before the release date!

I had to come on here and spew forth my newfound love for this gem. I've just finished watching it and I'm glad to say that humour has finally returned to anime.

I'm not saying anime has been totally devoid of humour lately, no sir. What I'm saying is that there hasn't been a "comedy" anime that's so subtle, over the top and totally engaging as this. This series is going right up there with Maison Ikkoku and Ranma 1/2 in my "funniest anime of all time" elite.

And thankgod too. I was worried that the only thing the UK market could look forward to were lowbrow, nonsensical, uninspired anime like Excel Saga.

And best of all, my writer block has gone, and it's all thanks to Fruits Basket.

Jesus, it just keeps on giving!

Azumanga Daioh.

Azumanga Daioh.

I'd be pretty stupid to comment on an anime I and a good chunk of UK anime fans haven't seen yet, wouldn't I?

tut tut, i have standards to maintain!

I'd be pretty stupid to comment on an anime I and a good chunk of UK anime fans haven't seen yet, wouldn't I?

Be a pirate. You get stuff before the UK then LOLZ. n00b.

Has anyone here played the PS2 version of JoJos bizarre adventure? Messing around with the Dreamcast version last night led me to wacth the anime again - and I remember seeing somthing in Edge about a new version of the game. It was quite a while ago...?

;)

There's a Studio Ghibli movie whose name that escapes me but it features a Japanese rendition of John Dever's 'Country Road' - anyone old enough to recall from which movie it's from?

The title version is by Olivia Newton John. Proper good it is too. Wound my then flatmates round the bend whenever I'd get pissed it went on.

Anyway, no one's mentioned Gunbuster! You are travesties to so-called anime fandom.

At least there isn't gushing over the turd of 90s anime which was . . .

I've totally got over my anime fixation. When you wake up one day and realise that actually a great proportion of it is really awful, and all the decent stuff is made by the same very small set of people you'll be fine. Essentials:

Gunbuster

Cowboy Bebop

Any Miyazaki

Whisper of the Heart

(I'm not keen on the other Ghibli guys stuff)

Pokemon

Digimon series 3 (no, it's great!)

Guest Two Heavens
I've totally got over my anime fixation. When you wake up one day and realise that actually a great proportion of it is really awful, and all the decent stuff is made by the same very small set of people you'll be fine.

Yes!

My love of Cowboy Bebop has nearly been squashed by watching it way too many times. Other than that FLCL still has a big place in my nerd-heart for being pretty random. And pretty.

What, so Fruits Basket HAS been released here??? ;)

Yay! This always gets overlooked in these Anime threads, but it really is great stuff. Loads of fun, and actually funny. I've seen them trickling out on DVD, but I haven't seen 'Remember My Love' or 'Only You' yet - two of my favourites.

You should like this and this then ;)

Erm, yes.

Yeah nowhere had it on its first dauy of release (well my local town anyway) and there normally good with getting new anime releases on teh day release @_@;... manged to get a copy a week later.. its on my tobuy list.... i too have seen cowboy bebop too much... one cool uk release you should check out is Boogiepop Phantom (the usa box is about £33 mind you with all 4 dvds and a cd) :ph34r:...

Erm, yes.

Jesus! Have I mentioned that every shop in Newport and Gloucester *sucks*? :ph34r:

Didn't see it anywhere in Cardiff either last weekend, but then I didn't go to Forbidden Planet...

Arse. Another anime I'm going to need to buy...

but then I didn't go to Forbidden Planet...

thats not always a shure thing... i went to FP central london on the weds (came out monday went weds) and they didnt have a single copy :ph34r:.... i eneded up getting it from a local comic store with its small anime section....

I'll relieve you of your books for free - how's that sound? :(

Ha, I downloaded it first. Although I'm in the process of getting the actual books.

I estimate I've read the entire thing at least once a day since Sunday. :ph34r:

Mitsuteru Yokoyama

1935-2004

Will be remembered for Ironman 28, aka Gigantor

I loved Gigantor as a kid, and on revisiting it recently found it to be as entertaining as ever - I felt like a kid again. Makes his death all the more shocking and tragic. Hats off to a true genius and icon of manga.

R.I.P.

Mitsuteru Yokoyama

1935-2004

I loved Gigantor as a kid, and on revisiting it recently found it to be as entertaining as ever - I felt like a kid again. Makes his death all the more shocking and tragic. Hats off to a true genius and icon of manga.

R.I.P.

:ph34r:

Mitsuteru Yokoyama

1935-2004

R.I.P.

Sad, yes.

Shocking though? Well he was in his late 60's y'know, hardly that much of a surprise surely?

But yes, it's always sad when people pass away. Wonder who's gonna be next..? :ph34r:

Okay, so the way he died was shocking, my mistake.

But it's still hardly shocking that he died, is it?

And, er, perhaps I should stop being such a bastard now, eh? I'm not sure exactly what came over me, I seem(ed) to be in a 'correcting-everyone' mood :ph34r:

The Love Hina manga (£5 ish a book on Amazon.co.uk) is brilliant, the anime isn't as good, but is still great. Highly recommend that. :blink:

Escaflowne is very good, very consistent too.

Kiki's Delivery Service is absolutely brilliant, and remains one of my favourite films, eveerrr. Like Pootle said, Porco Rosso is also good, and has some sort of a message I thought I could relate to. Can't remember what it is though. :ph34r:

Ranma 1/2 manga (big book, £4 ish on Amazon!) is superb, haven't watched the anime, but heard it's also excellent. I've read the first book about 3 - 4 times, it's loveellyy.

I love Totoro, Laputa and Kiki as much as anyone, but Whisper of the Heart is really good too. Nausicca is also ace.

Actually, I've yet to see a Ghibli film that I don't like :ph34r:

I have just seen the greatest anime ever made - the greatest story ever told in it's entirety.

Berserk. By rights, this should be the new bible. It's not just excellent. Cowboy Bebop is an excellent anime. Berserk has totally, 100% reinvigorated my love for anime.

I just can't believe how good this series is. I honestly believe this is the best anime ever made, by leaps and bounds.

Beg, borrow, steal to watch this anime. It'll be the most significant thing you do for quite some time.