Abba.

michael

Lordy. 30 years today, Abba won the Eurovision with 'Waterloo'. And in my opinion, every single tune they released, well, they're pop masterpieces.

Obviously, they're far from cool. I mean, 'Winner takes it all' isn't exactly Public Enemy, and 'Dancing Queen' will never be as good as 'Teenage Kicks', but still, I don't think Abba made a duff single, ever. They're one of the foundations that all modern pop since has been built on.

ladies and gentlemen - discuss. vent your bile or show your love. and remember - there's nothing wrong with liking Pop.

'Dancing Queen' will never be as good as 'Teenage Kicks'

It's still damn fine, though. A wedding reception without it just isn't a wedding reception. Then again, from my experience you could say the same about Whigfield's Saturday Night.

I just had a look at the ABBA Gold track listing. Yes, it truly is spectacular, but I wouldn't dare listen to it outside of a social context ... with lots of alcohol :P

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B...9030639-8525428

The only reason I said 'Teenage Kicks' is simply that it's (IMO) the greatest pop song ever. And I have to agree - it's pretty hard listening to Abba outside a social occasion. It's not exactly walkman material.

But driving in a car with some mates or being in a shit club, for example, when Abba comes on... well it all goes off. Good silly tunes to simply enjoy.

• 17 years later...
On 06/04/2004 at 21:27, Andy_Tanner said:

replace Teenage Kicks with Anarchy In The UK and i'm with you!

Abba are ace though. SOS is my favourite.

I can't believe it's taken me 17 years to point out that Glen Matlock ripped off SOS for Pretty Vacant's main riff. So here I am, doing it now.

Whatever their reason for doing it is it ain’t the money.  They turned down a billion dollars to reform back in the early 90’s.

Quite like ‘Don’t Shut Me Down’ to be fair.  Definitely has a ring of old school ABBA to it.👍

I think the way ABBA  have approached this is genius; although no doubt it is the savvy BB’s who are driving this. If you are going to do a virtual concert they’ve done it properly; build a bespoke theatre and get the best CGI company in the world to create the graphics. No doubt it’s been an interesting creative outlet for a couple of seventy year old’s, plus the fact that somehow the music they’ve released 40 years later sounds as good as the stuff on ABBA gold. I bet Brian and Roger are ringing up Weta.

17 hours ago, macosx said:

I think the way ABBA  have approached this is genius; although no doubt it is the savvy BB’s who are driving this. If you are going to do a virtual concert they’ve done it properly; build a bespoke theatre and get the best CGI company in the world to create the graphics. No doubt it’s been an interesting creative outlet for a couple of seventy year old’s, plus the fact that somehow the music they’ve released 40 years later sounds as good as the stuff on ABBA gold. I bet Brian and Roger are ringing up Weta.

Lol at the last sentence!

Seriously though, the performance close ups look seriously shit - PS2 cut scene stuff.

On 05/09/2021 at 07:15, Exidor said:

I hadn't seen the full length Tron suit picture before. Weird that you'd do it in lifts when the animators can just scale you up in post. Frida must tower over the rest of them in real life.

Wonder if it’s to do with them moving like they would in their 70s boots with massive heels ?

You’re right though, she’s way taller than the others !

72E90E2A-A694-493F-8DA1-668D17959CE1.jpeg

On 03/09/2021 at 16:29, Festoon said:

They should be reviewed like a video game.

The graphics could be better and at a higher frame rate.

if only you could talk to the members of ABBA…