IGNORED

Most Surprisingly Good Film You've Ever Seen

Comrade

I actually liked Assassins... OK I was a teenager when I first say it, and actually went into the wrong screening (was supposed to be seeing Apollo 13). But I remember it being alright.

I don't particularly want to see it again though and realise it's complete sh*t.

I've two ones.

I went into Scream expecting nothing. And came out really buzzing as I'd just seen a type of film I'd not seen before. Of course horror parodies became two-a-penny immediately afterwards.

Event Horizon also surprised. Mostly 'cos it scared the shit out of my girlfriend and became highly memorable 'cos of that.

I've just remembered The Long Good Friday too which I foolishly avoided for years after someone told me it was all 'you slaaaag' etc. It so isn't. It's the second best gangster movie ever made, terrifyingly prophetic about 80s Britain. Brilliant brilliant movie.

Final Destination for me too. Went to the cinema to see it with no real idea what it would be like and enjoyed it a lot.

And how about Legally Blonde? I can't remember how I ended up watching it but it was actually quite enjoyable.

I like seeing films without knowing much about them. I find I generally enjoy them more. I never the read the back of a DVD or video really and tend to rent or go to the cinema on the strength of word of mouth but without ever finding out what the film is exactly about.

Just saw The league of extraordinary gentlemen.

Thought it was going to be crap, I quite enjoyed it. Why all the bashing when it was released?

I must add that I barely read any book before.

Um.... because it's crap?

Bad Boys 2 for movie

A great over-the-top action movie that my wife only saw because Finding Nemo had sold out. Much better than the first film, very funny in places and a great car chase.

Fuck knows how it managed to get a 15 certificate though - very violent and gory, not to mention the rats bonking.

Just saw The league of extraordinary gentlemen.

Thought it was going to be crap, I quite enjoyed it. Why all the bashing when it was released?

I must add that I barely read any book before.

The film itself wasn't crap, it's just that they turned it into Connery's movie. He is far too old for action movies now even though he doesn't think so himself. They would've been better off casting a less well known actor in the Quartermain role, reducing the role back to how it was in the comic [an opium addict that was constantly fighting his addicition not a superhero] and let Norrington get on with making a good movie [from the original draft] instead of letting Connery get his own way all the time. It's a shame they wasted it.

The film itself wasn't crap, it's just that they turned it into Connery's movie. He is far too old for action movies now even though he doesn't think so himself. They would've been better off casting a less well known actor in the Quartermain role, reducing the role back to how it was in the comic [an opium addict that was constantly fighting his addicition not a superhero] and let Norrington get on with making a good movie [from the original draft] instead of letting Connery get his own way all the time. It's a shame they wasted it.

That makes sense, thank you.

Seems like a typical case of "if you wait nothing, you can appreciate it"

I thought Caribbean was awful, utter shite in fact.

Pleasantville for me. When it first came out the adverts made it out to be along the lines of Stay Tuned so I stayed clear.

Happened to catch it on BBC2 one night and was just amazed by it. It made me smile for days.

I was also slightly caught off-guard by The Matrix. I went into the cinema fairly hype-free, not really knowing what to expect. I'm seriously glad I caught it on opening night.

Jinglebell.

I was just so surprised to be watching a movie, where "the dad" is portrayed in a positive light.

Normally, the father-figure seems to be portrayed as a pedofile wife-beating rapist, just escaped from prison. Mother good, father bad. (Or if he`s "good", he must behave as if he has had his balls surgically removed.) Jinglebell was the antidote to all that nonsense.

Go dad!

Edited by nih

Pleasantville for me. When it first came out the adverts made it out to be along the lines of Stay Tuned so I stayed clear.

Happened to catch it on BBC2 one night and was just amazed by it. It made me smile for days.

I was also slightly caught off-guard by The Matrix. I went into the cinema fairly hype-free, not really knowing what to expect. I'm seriously glad I caught it on opening night.

Pleasantville for me too. I berated my wife for getting that film but have to admit I thoroughly enjoyed it.

And "The Shawshank Redemption". I'd never heard of it and was at a mates house with a heavy cold, a bottle of whisky and some weed - a 3 hour prison movie sounded like the worst thing ever. I was utterly hooked after 5 minutes.

Vanilla Sky - Intrigued but expected to be disappointed. Was simply blown away by how good it was and cried at the ending.

Magnolia - Was expecting another short cuts but then was mesmerised for 3 hours by a sheer bravura display of film making. Astonishing.

Manhunter - Thought it was gonna be straight to TV type Miami Vice shite, but was stunned to watch one of the most stylish and clever cop thrillers ever made.

Magnolia - Was expecting another short cuts but then was mesmerised for 3 hours by a sheer bravura display of film making. Astonishing.

That's weird. Magnolia made me want to gouge my brain out due to the boredom. I really don't get this film at all. Turn the fucking music off.......

That's weird. Magnolia made me want to gouge my brain out due to the boredom. I really don't get this film at all. Turn the fucking music off.......

The music is one of the driving factors of this film. The way it builds and builds, layer on layer as the lives of the characters intertwine until it reaches crescendo points is just staggering.

Outside Providence - Caught it late night on ITV one day and although it came off as a wannabe teen movie it was actually so much better and unlike most teen movies, quite funny. Shame it appears to have been deleted from all video/dvd stores.