Is it really worth keeping rare games/consoles?

DarhkFox

I have a whole heap of retro gaming goodness, along with current stuff.

I have a huge collection of consoles and games - mainly because i like to collect them and occasionally get them out for a play.

Id keep a hold of them if i knew that someday if i really needed the cash, then i could sell them for a decent amount. But i am not sure if they will gain value or just devalue in the next few years.

For example I have a Sega Nomad and Sega Multi Mega. Both of these usually go for around £100 on ebay. That kind of money would be handy now, but id hate to see them go really. Perhaps in 5-10 years my view would have changed, but if they just devalue maybe i really should get rid of them soon?

My biggest collection is the Game Gear, along with a few of them that i own - i have 70+ games. Id probably get £200+ for the complete package (got some rare ones in there) but perhaps in 10 years time it would be worth much more.

I probably come across as just collecting consoles for selling off for a profit.. which isnt really what im doing - but there may be a hint of truth of it. I just have too much stuff to actually play very often, let alone a whole heap of PS2/GC/Xbox games that i would like to actually play!

I don't think they will de-value. Over time, the condition will play a major factor in their value. Think how much a brand new condition SNES or NES would be worth now.

One of the oldest consoles is the 2600 which has been rising in value over the past few years. About 3 years ago a boxed machine would have sold for about £30 - £40 on ebay. It's about double that now. Can you imagine how much a sealed one would be worth? Mega Drives and Master Systems are currently rising in price though I don't expect it to last.

There is a growing interest in retro too. We now have 1 dedicated mag and 2 others that regularly have a retro section. Things are just starting to get interesting.

As they say on bargain hunt, it's all about the condition!! :P

Rich

If its to horde it a cupboard, whats the point, you know its there but you'll never miss it if its gone. But if you play with it and enjoy it, then why not keep ahold of it.

Every game ive got i either keep because its great or it has certain memories/values attached to it. I have horded a couple of games like vib ribbon but i will be selling them shortly when the time is right, because i still have my original copy to look at and play and enjoy.

For example if i got raident silvergun, id probably sell it fairly quickly, its not my sort of game, i wouldnt get any enjoyment from it so id sell it. Knowing i had it locked away in a cupboard, id rather have the money than brag ive got it but dont ever play it or enjoy it.

I like to think that as a Retro collector and player, I'm the one who decides how much something is worth. I feel deeply involved with the scene so if I say something is worth so much to me, and someone else disagrees then they're simply wrong and I am right. Life is too short for market value obsessions in a field you're really interested in. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but it does to me.

I like to think that as a Retro collector and player, I'm the one who decides how much something is worth. I feel deeply involved with the scene so if I say something is worth so much to me, and someone else disagrees then they're simply wrong and I am right. Life is too short for market value obsessions in a field you're really interested in. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but it does to me.

Well said!

I couldn't say it better myself.

Actually it's like all things "collectable" - supply and demand.

Things come into vogue (Edge articles, everyone jumps on the bandwaggon) and then interest fades.

Vectrex - mid 90' 200-300, now 70 odd quid.

2600 Machines in the mid 90's were 50-100 quid, then they went down then back up then down a year ago, now back up. The games have polarised, the very rare ones well up, the rest, well down except for the likes of space invaders that appeal to the casual crowd who push the price up out of proportion to the tiles rarity.

Sega Saturn - dead in the water for 18 months after it's demise, then rediscovered, shot up, peaked, fell down, came up again, some ttiles like RSG now softening, other titles are hardening as they are dicovered.

Game and watches are all way down (I used to get $100's of dollars in 96-99 for panaramas) wit hthe exception of the rare mint ones that collectors want and the likes of Donkey kong that casuals want.

As you can see it's not all upwards...

It's really not that simple, basically ask yourself a question:

If I buy something for £10, can I flog it now, whilst it works for £50-100 and can then I afford to put that cash in the bank or other investment place?

Then what will be my retun on that cash?

Now if I wait 15 years will my collectables work? if so will they outstrip my other possible investment? Is it worth just taking the profit now and using an ISA or other scheme to hedge those bets?

Remember your talking about the concepts of things like "bit rot" in eproms or "Actiplaque " on labels that may render games worthless over time, it could be worth cashing in now.

finaly, it's a game, it's meant to be played and enjoyed if you wanna buy and sell at a profit, do some homework and develop a gut instint, you'll be wrong 10-20% of the time, which means you'll win far more than you lose..

Any items is "worth" only what someone is prepared to pay for it, if games were made from say gold there may be another bearing on it but frankly there isn't so when people say "it's worth XXX" then if it isn't to you..

In short Sir you are completely correct, we the collectors set the prices not the dealers and ebay sharks, we count not them, not magazines setting prices in their retro section (that are usualy way out).

Any items is "worth" only what someone is prepared to pay for it, if games were made from say gold there may be another bearing on it but frankly there isn't so when people say "it's worth XXX" then if it isn't to you..

In short Sir you are completely correct, we the collectors set the prices not the dealers and ebay sharks, we count not them, not magazines setting prices in their retro section (that are usualy way out).

Exactly!

Games, their retro section, specifically the retro prices

£35 Amiga!?!

No, £5 at boot fairs! :D

It all depend on the quality of console and games.

I mean would there be many collector going for something like Atari Jaguar in 10 years time. ?

You can make good money, but you have to keep them in excellent condition. But again 10 years might not be enough perhaps 20 years time might be better bet.

Just spend what you can afford and do a bit of wheel dealing and don't put all the egg in one basket :D

As long as there are people around that remember the original consoles then they should retain some value, in say 20 years time there will probably be some 45 year old guy looking to recapture his youth and cash to spare and happy to pay a fortune for a mint Snes or Game Gear.

But is it worth hanging onto something for that long just so you can make a few hundred quid ?

thanks for the replies. Im not in a huge immediate rush to pawn off my stuff, but i will give it a big think about.

Im flogging off a load of megadrive/master system games though because i know i am never gonna play them.. and most of them are not exactly classics.