IGNORED

The Simpsons getting back on track

DJ Sack

Is that the...

Mr Burns: "What? Me and Shindler are like two peas in a pod! We both owned factories, we both made shells for the nazis...the difference was mine worked!"

episode? If so, it was great, and that list is crap.

:blink:

That line is fantastic.

Everyone disappointed with recent episodes do yourselves a favour and get over to play.com where the first three series are going for about £16 each. Buy them. Watch. Remember why you liked the show in the first place. Then wait for the next few series to come out on DVD like I am.

The recent Simpsons may be lame, but I think the fact that they have so much to live up to with the greatness of previous series doesn't help.

Also valid for Friends. But let's not go there.

Marge: Homer, I brought someone who can help.

Homer: Batman?

Marge: No. He's a scientist.

Homer: Batman's a scientist?

Marge: It's not Batman!

Homer: Do you want to change your name to Homer, Junior? The kids can call you Ho-Ju!

Bart: ............ I'll get back to you.

Homer: Do you want to change your name to Homer, Junior? The kids can call you Ho-Ju!

Bart: ............ I'll get back to you.

:D

Homer: [praying] I'm not normally a religious man, but if you're up there, save me Superman!

Quimby: May the force be with you!

Leonard Nimoy (annoyed): Do you even know who I am?

Quimby: I think so. Weren't you one of the Little Rascals?

Leonard Nimoy: A solar eclipse: the cosmic ballet goes on.

Man sitting next to Nimoy (uninterested): Anybody want to switch seats?

:lol:

Edited by Vemsie

The last two episodes of Futurama in particularly were completely joyless,

no they were fab. Even better if you know the story of why matt groeng gave up on futurama. The last epsode was a paradoy of what happened in real life.

Apparently fox told matt groeg (sp) to change benders character as he wasnt a good role model, matt goeng (sp) said of course hes not a good role model hes a robot?!

Homer: [praying] I'm not normally a religious man, but if you're up there, save me Superman!

Quimby: May the force be with you!

Leonard Nimoy (annoyed): Do you even know who I am?

Quimby: I think so. Weren't you one of the Little Rascals?

Leonard Nimoy: A solar eclipse: the cosmic ballet goes on.

Man sitting next to Nimoy (uninterested): Anybody want to switch seats?

It also has the greatest Simpsons opener ever.

"Simpson, Homer Simpson,

He's the greatest guy in history.

From the town of Springfield,

He's about to hit a chestnut tree.

AAGH!"

The episode with the mad guy that employs Homer and then trys to take over the world, Lance Storm or something - that was a cool episode.

Mrweh reminded me of one of the best Futurama lines ever;

Lucy Liubot: "I'll never forget you Philip.................MEMORY ERASED"

Edited by wiener

3. A STAR IS BURNS

(Season 6; writer: Ken Keeler; TX: 05/03/95)

This is the episode that Matt Groening removed his name from, and it's not surprising, because this is the show at its all-time worst. It's based around an aspect of American television that we don't get in the UK - the crossover episode with another series (in this case, The Critic) which here means that there's almost an entirely different production team involved, and it's one which appears to have no knowledge of, or respect for, the characters at all. What's particularly irksome about this show is its smugness - we're supposed to think that Barney's film is brilliant and moving, which in itself would leave a nasty taste in the mouth, but is not helped by the fact that the film blatantly isn't brilliant; it's unfunny and inconsistent, veering wildly from taking the piss out of him to trying to paint him as a complex, three-dimensional character. This is simply self-indulgent and insulting to the audience - the writers are saying, "Only an idiot doesn't like this." Furthermore, Barney acts completely out of character, given that he's previously shown no remorse for his present state at all. What also rankles is that Homer is painted as the villain for refusing to vote for his film, when in every other episode he'd been Barney's best friend but here he acts as if he's never met him before. And since when has everyone else liked Barney anyway? Mr Burns is simply thrown away, with his plot going absolutely nowhere, and in the end Barney simply becomes a pathetic alcoholic again, a thoroughly nasty conclusion, so the whole episode has been a complete waste of time. The worst of the lot, by a long way.

While this episode has its fair share of funny moments, I do understand why Groening took his name off it. They were using The Simpsons to promote The Critic (which Fox had just picked up after ABC dropped it), and he didn't want his show to be abused in that way. Quite right, too. A good episode joke-wise, but cynical in intent.

The episode didn't have a "completely different production team" at all - in fact, The Critic's creators Al Jean and Mike Reiss had been involved in The Simpsons from season one, so to suggest that they didn't have any respect for or knowledge of the characters is bollocks of the highest order. Their interpretation of Barney's film is very "sixth form" too. Pretentious, vacuous cretins.

The Simpsons is long past its best, but it's still one of the funniest shows on TV. There have probably been less than 10 awful episodes, and for a show with over 300 episodes that has been on air for 15 years, that's a pretty good hit rate.

Because the writers have lost the ability to write good episodes?

The Simpsons has always "pushed the envelope" as far as taste goes. If you listen to the commentaries on the season 1 DVD, it's quite amazing what they weren't supposed to show on TV at the time, and how those tame early episodes were actually considered quite edgy in 1990.

As more adult material is accepted onto American TV, so too is it used on The Simpsons. It's still a family show - they'd never go as far as Family Guy - but it's never, ever been a children's show.

But the list does have 'The Principal and the Pauper.' Definitely one of the more stupid episodes. The Simpsons is now shit.

The Principal and the Pauper has some funny lines, but the story is complete crap. It's still watchable, but I wish they hadn't done it. (There was a similar incident in the last new episode with Snowball II, which I'm sure the continuity nerds are fuming about.)

See, I really can't analyse the Simpsons in the "internet" style. I can't whine about it going downhill, or go on about themes and writing in the way that that grossly stupid website with the best and worst five does. To me the Simpsons just transcends that. It preceded all the internet forums people now debate on. Its more than a TV show, its comedy as art. I can only split the Simpsons into three categories - Series 1, which was necessary to make the show what it is despite its weakness; everything after series 8 is a very funny TV show, and series 2-8, which is simply the best run of tv ever. Endlessly quotable lines, genius sight gags, ever-relevant, the greatest cast of characters ever....so fuck, it gets a free pass from me for any bad episodes. And its either Deep Space Homer or Homer Badman that's best ever. HAIL ANTS.

The only actively irritating episode is Lisa the Vegetarian, in which Lisa is a little fascist shit but is painted as being in the right for some reason.

Also, the last episode of Futurama is fucking brilliant. The Robot Devil should be worshipped.

Homer Badman is the best episode of the Simpsons ever, and that's a mathematical fact.

Homer: SEE YOU IN HELL, CANDY BOYS!

Kent Brockman: Of course, to see inside the Simpson household, we'd need some sort of Infra-red, heat sensitve camera. So let's turn it on! Now, this technology is new to me, but I'm fairly sure that's Homer Simpson... there, rotating slowly at a temperature of 300 degrees, he's literally stewing in his own juices.

Homer: Oh, God, help me, God!

PHONE RINGS - HOMER TENTATIVELY PICKS IT UP

Homer (slowly): Y'ello?

Phone: Homer, this is God...frey jones from the televison magazine show Rock Bottom.

TV: Tonight on Rock Bottom, we visit a SEX farm for SEX hookers!

Farmer: But I keep telling you, we just grow sorghum here!

Interviewer: Right, and where are the hookers?

Farmer: 'Round back. Oops.

And, although, somehow, despite not actually being in this episode, the best character is in fact Lionel Hutz:

Lionel Hutz: From this day on, Lionel Hutz is dead! Say hello to Enrique Sanchez!

Judge: Wait a minute, this verdict is written on a napkin! And it STILL says guilty! And guilty is spelt wrong!

Judge: Next case, The Society of Amalgamated Churches versus Lionel Hutz!

LH: Oh, THAT thing.

As more adult material is accepted onto American TV, so too is it used on The Simpsons. It's still a family show - they'd never go as far as Family Guy - but it's never, ever been a children's show.

"It's still a family show" - since when were families interested about poor dope humour and an episode purely about an increase in breast size? Fucking hell. It doesn't lead the way now, it just copies everything else and wraps it up into one convinient package.

"It's still a family show" - since when were families interested about poor dope humour and an episode purely about an increase in breast size? Fucking hell. It doesn't lead the way now, it just copies everything else and wraps it up into one convinient package.

http://www.snpp.com/episodes/9F01.html

This is my favourtie. Homer the Heretic. When he stays home from Church.

I'm wizzing with the door open, and I love it! -Homer

Reverend Lovejoy's description of the fire and brimstone of Hell warms

up his audience. Muses Bart, ``Aaaaahhhhhh... I'm there.''

The service has ended, but nobody can get out because the door has frozen

shut. Lisa quietly recites an Our Father.

Lisa, this is neither the time nor the place.

-- Bart tells Lisa to stop praying in church,

Gold.