IGNORED

The Simpsons getting back on track

DJ Sack

After so many crap seasons, season/series 14 is starting to look better. Started watching it and the treehouse of horror episode was excellent, after that the start of the season seems to be going well, hardly any annoying film stars, bart and lisa seem slightly more natural now and the story lines seem better.

the one last night i watched with sideshow bob and frank grimes jr was brilliant.

After so many crap seasons, season/series 14 is starting to look better. Started watching it and the treehouse of horror episode was excellent, after that the start of the season seems to be going well, hardly any annoying film stars, bart and lisa seem slightly more natural now and the story lines seem better.

the one last night i watched with sideshow bob and frank grimes jr was brilliant.

That one's at least a couple of years old.

I've given up on the new stuff. It just ain't funny any more.

I used to be massively into the Simpsons. I could of gone to conventions and that, that's how obsessed I was (I didn't though). But then the Simpsons became shit. Essentially, I deem any episode after the X-Files homage one ("The Springfield Files" in seies :P to be "new" and therefore not of interest to me.

There are the odd good episodes about here and there, but by and large all the epsiodes since that point vary between "not very good" and "unmitigated shit".

I used to be massively into the Simpsons. I could of gone to conventions and that, that's how obsessed I was (I didn't though). But then the Simpsons became shit. Essentially, I deem any episode after the X-Files homage one ("The Springfield Files" in seies :) to be "new" and therefore not of interest to me.

There are the odd good episodes about here and there, but by and large all the epsiodes since that point vary between "not very good" and "unmitigated shit".

:P That is the exact episode where I claim it started becoming shit. The only exception is the 'Homer vs. the City of New York' one, which was class.

What BBC2 are showing at the moment isnt very good at all. I'm sure older episodes had morals and stuff, and were miles more sane. I don't feel safe watching them now, wereas I used to get a very cosy/homely feel whilst watching the Simpsons. It's too "wacky" now for my liking :P

What BBC2 are showing at the moment isnt very good at all. I'm sure older episodes had morals and stuff, and were miles more sane. I don't feel safe watching them now, wereas I used to get a very cosy/homely feel whilst watching the Simpsons. It's too "wacky" now for my liking :P

Ironically enough, Futurama seems to be less wacky and more moving and emotional than The Simpsons now adays. Like that one where Fry looked for his 7 leaf clover, or the one with his dog.

And the last few episodes I felt where great endings to the program. I was just like the last Office Christmas Special, moving, played less for laughs but providing closure and a happy ending.

the simpsons is still funny but as Vemsie said this is an internet forum and we must all bitch.

modern simpson are shit compared to what? still funny than most of the crap put out. South Park is the greatest at the mo because it has laughs and heart.

the simpsons is still funny but as Vemsie said this is an internet forum and we must all bitch.

modern simpson are shit compared to what? still funny than most of the crap put out. South Park is the greatest at the mo because it has laughs and heart.

The "Modern" Simpsons are shit compared to South Park, as you have stated, and itself in it's heyday. Whereas once it was a fantastic set of stories which made all of us laugh and only occasionally drifted away from reality, it's now just a load of stupid random crap to fill half-an-hour. Especially the episodes created for the sake of the celebrity guests.

Is it any wonder why the episode Last Exit to Springfield is allegedly the favourite episode of it's more educated fans? A very realistic tale with a few movements away from reality, a fantastic few parodies and a hilarious take on real-life issues? I mean, I doubt any fan can site an episode such as "The Kid Rock one" as their favourite, which in my opinion perfectly reflects the majority of most of the newer episodes: fucking awful.

EDIT: I did get some of that babble from this page, The 5 Best and 5 Worst Simpsons Episodes, whereby the worst indicate the start of a decline rather than worst worst.

I must agree Simpsons has gone downhill a lot. I just dont have the anticipation of watching new episodes like i used to do.

Series 14/15 have been a mixed bag. I would say more episodes have been bad compared to good ones.

The last couple of series of south park have been getting a lot better, featuring some of the best of the entire series. Thats not to say they have been some very average episodes too though..

well i love the surreal suff, especially the lines homer comes up with.

i'm not going to diss The Simpsons for being surreal when i applaud Family Guy for being nuts.

After 14 series' i'd hope that the show would evolve otherwise it would have become very stale.

It's kind of ironic that Family Guy started by kind of copying the Simpsons, but quickly found it's own style and built itself from there. And from there, The Simpsons is now based on Family Guy's humour. Which itself was never for kids.

Why else would the show, previously more of a family show, now resorts to cheap jokes about dope and big tits?

Not sure about that list of five worst, I thought Homer's Phobia was one of the funniest.

But its true that I no longer watch the Simpson's, in fact I actively avoid it now. And not because it isn't as good as it used to be, but because it is positively crap.

Anyhow, that top five on that page is crap, utter crap, simply for not including You Only Move Twice.

I was just about to post the exact same thing.

Go us.

Bad episodes from the last few seasons:

The Lastest Gun in the West

The Old Man and the Key

The Strong Arms of the Ma

I'm Spelling As Fast As I Can

The President Wore Pearls

Is it any wonder why the episode Last Exit to Springfield is allegedly the favourite episode of it's more educated fans? A very realistic tale with a few movements away from reality, a fantastic few parodies and a hilarious take on real-life issues? I mean, I doubt any fan can site an episode such as "The Kid Rock one" as their favourite, which in my opinion perfectly reflects the majority of most of the newer episodes: fucking awful.

The educated fans are wrong: You Only Move Twice is clearly the best episode.

It seems Pungee and Fry Crayola have beaten me to it.

But the list does have 'The Principal and the Pauper.' Definitely one of the more stupid episodes. The Simpsons is now shit. The last new ep I watched was the 300th episode (The Tony Hawks one) and it shows how badly they're grasping for new ideas. Bart moves out?!?! And that whole scene with Homer and Tony Hawks FLYING on skateboards shows how far gone it is. While the show has never been realistic, it never used to break basic realistic rules for it's storytelling. I guess South Park had it right. The Simpsons really have done everything.

For the record: My top 5 episodes:

1. Cape Feare: Sideshow Bob at his best. And it features one of the funniest gags ever. "Hello, Mr Thompson." :D

2. Rosebud: Mr Burns is my favourite character. The whole Bobo thing was well handled, and Homer again had the classic line "Maggie, stop waving that mouldy old bear around. Mouldy!?! Old!?! I'm gonna get something to eat!"

3. Treehouse of Horror V (I think): The one with 'The Shining' spoof and the one where Homer travels back through time. "OK Homer, don't panic. Just remember the advice your father gave you on your wedding day." Cue Grampa Simpson "If you ever travel back in time, be careful not to step on anything."

4. Homer vs the City of New York: Classic. Shame it' never been shown in Britain since 9/11 (Although it has in America. Go figure).

5. The lemon tree one. I love the was Shelbyville is exactly like Springfield. And Martin and Nelson make a great team. "Team Discovery Channel!"

So many classic memories.

But the list does have 'The Principal and the Pauper.' Definitely one of the more stupid episodes. The Simpsons is now shit. The last new ep I watched was the 300th episode (The Tony Hawks one) and it shows how badly they're grasping for new ideas. Bart moves out?!?! And that whole scene with Homer and Tony Hawks FLYING on skateboards shows how far gone it is. While the show has never been realistic, it never used to break basic realistic rules for it's storytelling. I guess South Park had it right. The Simpsons really have done everything.

man you are so wrong that episode is funny as hell.

Homer "yeah i like to make words up too"