Sign in to follow this  
Calashnikov

April Hip-Hop Recommendations

Yeah, new month. Discuss stuff: here.

Coming up in the next coupla weeks:

6869_b.jpg

7131.jpg

7121_b.jpg

(I'm looking forward to this one. Sure, Dilated are at their best when Alchemist is at the switches, but I really like Ev's beats too. They're pretty hypnotic or something)

7167.jpg

Danger Mouse & Jemini - Twenty Six EP

6782_b.jpg

LMNO's new album, mostly produced by Oh No (whose beats on Wildchild's LP were great. Here's hoping for a repeat) with additional production from Evidence and DJ Rhettmatic. I'm looking forward to this.

ynq-stevie-200.jpg

Madlib's Stevie Wonder tribute.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B...3954081-7747605

B00009NJ84.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

A compilation from me first of all. 'Legends Of Hip-Hop' is a collaboration of many of the biggest players in the hip-hop industry, featuring such artists as Ice-T, Afrika B, Kurtis Blow, Kurupt, Rakim, Kane and many more. There are some fantastic tracks on here too. I ordered it from the Marketplace as it was cheaper, and it includes a remix of the Fifth Element song as the first track which isn't listed on the Amazon playlist there, but there are some other brilliant productions on here too. Some of you may have already heard most of what's offered, but I hadn't so for me it was well worth it.

Easily for me, the standout track is the phenomenal 'Legends Of Hip-Hop' (original version) track by Fifth Element. The classical Beethoven sampling is stunning, the beat is sick and there are something like 35 MC appearances on the track in total. Absolutely fantastic. I'll be uploading it in the near future as it's so hard to find on file-sharing apps, but if you can find it, download it.

That is all for now.

I'd heard of that compilation but I was a bit sceptical and worried it'd be yet another old school compilation. Good to hear nice things about it.

In other news, your signature reminded me of something that happened to me the other week. I was listening to Rae's Criminology on the bus and there's bit where Ghost drops the Cash Rules Everything Around Me line, and I started sorta saying it in my head, like rolling it around my tongue and thinking about it. Then I figured out that C.R.E.A.M. was an acronym of the line. Like, I just figured it out ;)

Man, it took me 11 years!

Hey, does anyone care to attempt a definitive Pete Rock discography? I'm listening to a live recording of that Jazz Cafe show and it's all so damn sweet. I've got music to buy. Any pointers, y'all?

It took me ages to realise that "Protons, Electrons Always Cause Explosions" (from one of the Wu-Tang albums or maybe Gravediggaz?)was another way of saying Peace.

It's a RZA line so chances are you heard it on both Gravediggas and Wu. And I didn't realise that it was an acronym of 'Peace' until your post. Good work, soldier. Hold ya head!

Actually I think I may have been slightly wrong ;) I think the Gravediggaz one is Positive Energy Activates Constant Elevation.

Yeah that's the one.

There is a song from 36 Chamgers I think (I thought it was Wu-Tang Ain't Nuthin Ta' Fuck Wit but I couldn't see it) where the first letter of two sentences of a verse adds up to spell 'Wu-Tang Clan'. There are plenty of little things like that all over the place in those songs.

As for CREAM...Calash should be ashamed of himself.

; )

Actually I think I may have been slightly wrong :(  I think the Gravediggaz one is Positive Energy Activates Constant Elevation.

Correct. Fucking class album that, pulled it out recently.

There is a song from 36 Chamgers I think (I thought it was Wu-Tang Ain't Nuthin Ta' Fuck Wit but I couldn't see it) where the first letter of two sentences of a verse adds up to spell 'Wu-Tang Clan'. There are plenty of little things like that all over the place in those songs.

I've been tring to find that too! I think it's a GZA line somewhere. The end is: Talent And Natural Gain, but I'll be damned if I can remember what 'Wu' stands for...

;) @ Calashnikov

:D

Correct. Fucking class album that, pulled it out recently.

I've been tring to find that too! I think it's a GZA line somewhere. The end is: Talent And Natural Gain, but I'll be damned if I can remember what 'Wu' stands for...

;) @ Calashnikov

:(

Witty Unpredictable Talent And Natural Game

WU-TANG CLAN have announced a one-off LONDON date days before their confirmed appearance at this summer's OXEGEN FESTIVAL.

The legendary hip-hop collective will play London Hammersmith Carling Apollo on July 8.

The London and Oxegen shows will both feature core members RZA, GZA, Method Man, Ghostface Killah and Raekwon.

Hip-hop meet? B)

Protons Electrons Always Cause Explosions is from the album Liquid Swords, the song 4th Chamber. I have just spent the last hour trying to find that out for the sake of my sanity ;) Now I just have to work out which song on Eric B and Rakims "Paid In Full" album I originally heard either that or the Positive Energy one.

Protons Electrons Always Cause Explosions is from the album Liquid Swords, the song 4th Chamber. I have just spent the last hour trying to find that out for the sake of my sanity ;)

Man, I coulda told you that for nothing and saved you a wee bit of time :(

Wu tickets are £30. The show is the day before my uni's Graduation Ball! Eep!! ;)

I wonder if I'll be able to get back in time? :(

I'd go, but I may be broke (although I may be able to save some cash from my birthday, the week before). And my graduation is around then too.

Edit: Graduation is July 16, so no problem there B)

Yeah, man. I've heard they're hit and miss live. But I feel it's my duty to catch my fave producer (RZA) and 2 of my best MCs (Meth and Ghost) in the flesh. That Genius and Rae are gonna be there too is a bonus (they're next down the list in terms of favourite Wu members).

Quite disappointed Inspectah Deck aint part of the line-up. That cat is fly. Cool voice, man.

Hey, does anyone care to attempt a definitive Pete Rock discography? I'm listening to a live recording of that Jazz Cafe show and it's all so damn sweet. I've got music to buy. Any pointers, y'all?

pete_rock_and_cl_smooth2.jpg

Mecca And The Soul Brother

1. Return Of The Mecca

2. For Pete's Sake

3. Ghettos Of The Mind

4. Lots Of Lovin

5. Act Like You Know

6. Straighten It Out

7. Soul Brother #1

8. Wig Out

9. Anger In The Nation

10. They Reminisce Over You (T.R.O.Y.)

11. On And On

12. It's Like That

13. Can't Front On Me

14. The Basement (Featuring Heavy D., Robo-O, Grap & Dida)

15. If It Ain't Rough, It Ain't Right

16. Skinz (Featuring Grand Puba)

I'd start with Mecca and the Soul Brother mate. No duff tracks, its a bonafide classic. wooooo!

Anyone else still waiting on their Madvillain album? Play are awaiting stock. Grr.

Out this month is the Automato album, produced by the DFA. Great stuff, very 80s electro in some of the tracks.

Hey, does anyone care to attempt a definitive Pete Rock discography?

I guess if everyone starts using the discogs hip-hop beta, then this will evolve into the definitive Pete Rock discography. It's already looking helpful.

Also you can check out the entries in the old electronica-only version of the site, which is still partitioned from the hip-hop database.

In the meantime, assuming you've got through Mecca... and The Main Ingredient, then PeteStrumentals is a seriously underrated blunted masterpiece.

99728-001.jpg

1. A Little Soul

2. Play Dis Only At Night

3. Something Funky

4. For The People

5. Hip Hopcrisy

6. Smooth Sailing

7. Pete's Jazz

8. The Boss

9. Get Involved

10. Give It To Y'all

11. Walk On By

12. Cake

13. What You Waiting For

14. Nothin' Lesser (Jamie's Mix)

Is 'zat new Madvillain album (Madvillainy) any good? I'm a sucker for buying albums on the basis of one song, but Allcaps is one helluva song to be suckered in for.

Cal starting the Hip-Hop thread?! Is this allowd? I think he's going for your crown Ben, I'd take it personally :unsure: And why all the Wu chat? Surely we can conjour up something slightly more interesting... or not.