IGNORED

Supergun

routeburn

I would like to get a couple of arcade titles and have read some FAQs (UKVAC) etc. I'm trying to decide whether to get a Supergun and the boards I'm after, or just go for a working, no-name, JAMMA cabinet. I understand that the latter is more hassle, but I can't imagine playing the games I want on anything other than a proper joystick/buttons, standing up.

Anyone who uses a Supergun (or cabinet!) recommend anything? I do have space for a single cabinet.

After the initial purchase of my OutRun cab I had no further room for any other machines, so started collecting JAMMA PCB's and playing them with a Supergun.

Mine was purchased from Raven Games, and although it's very well put together, it was very expensive - about £175 I think!

If you have the room, then get a cab. Not only will it be a heck of a lot cheaper, but you'll also get the correct `feel` of the games as you'll be stood up playing them.

Rob

If I went for the Supergun, can I buy a decent arcade stick rather than using converted pads? A dreamcast arcade stick perhaps? Or I've seen some photos of nifty arcade sticks+buttons in a solid wood box on some sites.

Also, what's the quality of output from a supergun to a TV? I know it's RGB, but I've got a widescreen 32" TV which can make poor input look even worse. Sometimes poor input actually looks better on an average display!

If I went for the Supergun, can I buy a decent arcade stick rather than using converted pads? A dreamcast arcade stick perhaps? Or I've seen some photos of nifty arcade sticks+buttons in a solid wood box on some sites.

Also, what's the quality of output from a supergun to a TV? I know it's RGB, but I've got a widescreen 32" TV which can make poor input look even worse. Sometimes poor input actually looks better on an average display!

With the Supergun I bought it came with a real crappy 3rd party Megadrive pad.

I quickly bought two Dreamcast Arcade Sticks and converted them over.

The innards of the sticks are a dream to convert, and you can convert the stick and put on a new edge connector on to the end of the stick cable in about an hour.

As for picture quality - My Supergun produces a real crisp image, so I think you would be fine.

Rob

Winner, thanks. Time to start hunting for a supergun and R-Type JAMMA board. I understand that R-Type 1 was not JAMMA? R-Type II or Neo would be fine.

I still think that £175 is a bit steep for a supergun, so I'll watch Ebay and UKVAC for a while.

That mini gun two has rgb controls, I want to build rgb controls to use with my consoles any idea how?

Yod@ suggested using variable resistors.

Anyone have any idea where i could get a circuit diagram?

edit:

I can recommend the uberia superguns, I got one for xmas and they use standard Neo Geo sticks/pads, you can get a convertor to use ps2 pads with them should you desire.

Here`s a pic of mine Uberia Supergun

Just noticed you had this type of super gun with the rgb conrols. What exactly do those controls do?

Do they adjust the amount of Red Green Blue separetly?

If so could this be used to brighten up an washed up rgb picture?

Do they allow for a screen centering adjustments?

Cheers for any info!

I built one as a bit of a little project, having bought a real cheapo PCB (some bootleg football game Worlcup somehting or other)

Total cost was about £6, and I've enough bits to make another. Oh, but I should point out I alerady had a space PSU from a PC to use. I just used a megadrive pad, but you can get proper arcade sticks and buttons to build yourself a better feeling supergun.

I mention, as it was quite a fun thing to do - I have a pretty basic knowledge of electronics, but can solder ok, and found all the plans I needed on the web

I am tempted to get a supergun and get into the whole collecting Jamma thing, I think nows a good time to start with a lot of good stuff at relatively low prices and made accessable through Ebay.

But the lack of time and space puts me off for the moment.

Yeah , thought I`d sent a reply! I`ll send it again.

Any way I was checking out VAPS and noticed you have Stratofighter, Rob.

What an underrated game, it was the first PCB I bought!

Have just checked my inbox - nothing there.

You can either re-send it, or just tell me it's a `yes` here *laughs*

Yes, I have Strato Fighter. I've got a bit of a story behind that one actually.

I was always a big fan of Gryzor on the Spectrum, so when I got into collecting arcade stuff, it was a game I had to have.

Well, the first one I bought suffered sound problems - first of all they distorted and then they just vanished.

I won a second off Ebay. That arrived, and that had the same problem, so back it went. The seller said I could have a refun, or have Strato Fighter instead. I'd never heard of the game, but after seeing it on a web site or two, I thought `what the heck`.

I'm glad Gryzor died, and I ended up with this - it's great!

Rob