IGNORED

3d tetris

bplus

There are other, earlier attempts at 3D tetris style things. Welltris was sort of 3D, but not really IIRC. Also that sphere one on the N64. I can't think of others off the top of my head, and neither of these examples work quite the same way as Tetris would in 3D.

The game you link to does seem to do tetris as it should work in 3D. I say seem, because I didn't play it for long enough to complete a plane. I imagine that it'd a difficult game to display in a way that's helpful to the player at the best of times, but this little effort doesn't go very far to try. A shadow beneath the falling blocks wouldn't have been to hard to do, and would've improved it no end.

It wouldn't have solved all the problems with the game, though. The next obvious one is that foreground blocks obscure background blocks. Putting the blocks down in an order that allows you to keep track of the playfield easily would become part of the game in a way that it wasn't in the 2D. Not a good thing, I think.

I'm guessing that the fact that I can't think of any big games that have managed tetris in 3D, in it's strictest sense, means that no-one has come up with a convincing way of displaying the blocks clearly. I would also guess that people must have tried a lot, I'm sure that a game of that style would have been within graphical reach of the PS1 and upward.

Can anyone think of a good way to display it? It'd be a caker to code most of a game like that. (without bells and whistles) I just can't think of a good way to show what's happening.

Doesn’t the "3D" ruin the beauty of the simplicity?

..isn’t that the problem with many "sequels"?

…They adds lots of new features just for the sake of it

as they try to make it as different as possible from the first game....

..it just turn out overly complicated

The virtual boy one looks cool. In fact, with the stereo vision, displaying the blocks is a bit easier. They seem to be pretty much transparent. Doing this is an option without the stereo view, of course, but would be more confusing without the extra "depth" information.

I know what you mean about complicating the game, but I don't think that 3D tetris is complicated, in theory... complete a horizontal plane, and it disappears. Like I say, what's hard is visualising it in a way that lets the player see what's where easily.

You could position the camera in the top corner of a square well holding the bricks, and direct it into the well in such a way that allows you to see more or less all of the top surface of the blocks that are there already. With a shadow beneath the falling block, this view would be quite useful. Not perfect, though. In tertis you need to know more about the gaps that exist beneath the surface in order to make good decisions. Perhaps the colours of the blocks could change depending on how "deep" they went before meeting a gap. A single coloumn might be dark at the bottom, getting lighter in colour with each block, so when looking down the "well" the colours on the top surface would indicate what's beneath them.

I don't know, I just think it's an interesting puzzle.

Blockout, as was pointed out, did this. You looked down a well, and different levels (once the block had settled in) were different colours. The block itself was wire frame til it landed.

It worked quite well, actually. I played it quite a lot. The main problem was that the shapes were more complex, and that detracted slightly from the simplicity of tetris. Worth a play via an emu, though.

True enough! I should've read more carefully.

I checked this out, and realised that I'd played it before! I probably got the idea above from playing just this game. Silly me. Although it doesn't do exactly what I was proposing. In Blockout, each horizontal plane in the well has a colour to assign to the blocks. In my vesrion the colour of the blocks would depend on how deep beneath each one the next "space" is, rather than their distance from the bottom. My system would give you a bit more information about the insides of the block stack, but would probably be difficult to interpret even once you'd memorised the colour codes.

Also, if the camera had been in one corner of the well, looking toward the centre, I think it would've made the different heights a little clearer. A view from the corner of the well is trickier to draw, in terms of 3D stuff, than the view they used in Blockout. But it was the megadrive.

Right enough about the selection of pieces, too. That might be a real problem for any 3D tetris game. The number of blocks in the original was chosen because it's the maximum number of things that the average person can keep in their head at one time, or something like that, wasn't it? And all of them constructed from four squares. Using a 3D version of the original shape might not allow you to take advantage of the new space properly, and a wider variety of shapes does become confusing quickly. In Blockout, some of the shapes are "similar". A cube made of one block, and a cube made of 8 blocks. A "line" made of 3 and another made of 2. Not as tight seeming as the original.

Still, there have been worse tetris games made, and it's alot more playable than the webpage one.

King foo, ah, the obligatory tetris-game. Surely evey coder who's interested in games makes their own version of tetris, and this is a very nice one. It's an interesting game to code, really. You do need to concentrate to make the control just right; for example, to give the player a moment to slide the block even if it's sitting on a surface. Which I noticed you did :(