IGNORED

Prog Rock: Porcupine Tree Return!

Robo_1

I know there are a few other fans of this much maligned genre lurking around, so who are you listening to at the minute?

I've just picked up IQ's "Subterranean", and I'm enjoying that. Not exactly a vocal performance to rival...well anyone but the music is great. Other than that I recently discovered a new band from Poland called Collage (now Satellite), very smooth stuff which reminds me a lot of Pendragon, for placing mood above the music.

Currently on the shopping list, is Evergreys new one (excellent prog metal band) of course the new Ayreon concept album, "The Human Equation" and Tony Banks has recently released "Seven", his classical album. I've also got the new Marillion album (Marbles) winging its way to me. Not sure what to make of that. The two tracks I've heard, "You've Gone" and "Drilling Holes" were average at best, but I've heard the opener "Invisible Man", is supposed to rank up there with best work. Considering the album cost £30 to pre-order, I sure hope there are a few decent tracks on there.

The year ahead sees new albums from Threshold, Asia, Spock's Beard and possibly even Porcupine Tree!

Personally, I don't think the prog scene has been this healthy since the 70's. The scene is overflowing with great music and great labels (Inside Out etc) pushing the whole scene forward.

I went and saw Spock's Beard once. The gig seemed to last about eight days. It was then that I thought that although I like Tool, I don't really like Prog. Certainly not Prog with keyboard solos.

Sorry, that didn't help much.

Spock's Beard is certainly more old school prog than most people think. If you quite enjoyed what you heard (in chunks), I'd trip over to www.morow.com (it's a proggy internet radio) and they play a lot of the Beard, and also the new Marillion album B)

I've also got the new Marillion album (Marbles) winging its way to me. Not sure what to make of that. The two tracks I've heard, "You've Gone" and "Drilling Holes" were average at best, but I've heard the opener "Invisible Man", is supposed to rank up there with best work. Considering the album cost £30 to pre-order, I sure hope there are a few decent tracks on there.

£30 to pre-order the new Marillion album! <_<

Are they only selling directly online now??

TBH, I found their last couple of albums very hit and miss. Their best Hogarth era album is definitely "This Strange Engine" plus that remix album they did with the dance band Positive Light "Tales from the Engine Room".

I'm hoping they will branch out and do an album in the style of "This is the 21st Century" (from Anoraknophobia). If it wasn't for the fact that it was by Marillion I'm sure that track would have got a lot more radio play.

Also, thanks for the heads up on new prog rock stuff. Haven't listened to anything new for a while now.

£30 to pre-order the new Marillion album! <_<

Are they only selling directly online now??

Yeah, well you know how they had that pre-ordering scheme for "Anoraknophobia" in order to avoid needing record company support. Well they have done a similar thing for "Marbles". It's a double album (of original music) but they are charging roughly 15 quid over the odds, so they can plough money into a proper advertising campaign. A single disc version of the album will be available at retail, and the double disc version (without the fancy packaging etc) will be available at a more reasonable (though they are being worryingly cagey regarding its how much exactly) price. They also have a single out April 19th, titled "You're Gone".

I think there is as much fan milking going on here as a "special relationship" between the fans and band. Still, it should be a nice album to get my head around, as from what I've heard it covers a lot of musical ground.

If you're looking for some fresh prog to sink your teeth into, I reccomend listening to a bit of prog internet radio, or visit inside out and check the sound samples in their catalogue.

Enjoy :P

Progressive Rock for me is early Genesis material, classic!.

Genesis is still my number one too. Those early albums just have a sort of magic which is so hard to describe. Something wonderfully insane but incredibly clever at the same time. It's worth checking out Calling All Stations, if you like the early albulms. Whilst they certainly have the singles, tracks like "The Dividing Line", and "There Must Be Some Other Way", certainly contain glimpses of what made the band so great in the first place.

Genesis is still my number one too. Those early albums just have a sort of magic which is so hard to describe. Something wonderfully insane but incredibly clever at the same time. It's worth checking out Calling All Stations, if you like the early albulms. Whilst they certainly have the singles, tracks like "The Dividing Line", and "There Must Be Some Other Way", certainly contain glimpses of what made the band so great in the first place.

Recommend the best Genesis CD!!!!

I dragged Afraid of Sunlight and Brave out for a listen a few nights ago, I forget how good those albums are. Porcupine Tree played fairly often in my house, as does Queensryche and Opeth. Oh, and my iTunes 'haven't listened to it in a while' playlist picked Graceadelica from Twenty-Twenty Sound by Dark Star a few days ago, I hadn't listened to that for about two years but damm it was good.

I dragged Afraid of Sunlight and Brave out for a listen a few nights ago, I forget how good those albums are. Porcupine Tree played fairly often in my house, as does Queensryche and Opeth. Oh, and my iTunes 'haven't listened to it in a while' playlist picked Graceadelica from Twenty-Twenty Sound by Dark Star a few days ago, I hadn't listened to that for about two years but damm it was good.

I don't like Brave much to be honest. It's good in places ('Hollow Man' is a superb track) but far too patchy.

Queensryche's 'Operation Mindcrime' is a great prog rock/metal album. I saw them play the whole album live in Poole 14 years ago.

Recommend the best Genesis CD!!!!

It's hard not to say the live album, "Seconds Out", but Phil doing Peters stuff just doesn't pack quite the same punch. Aside from that, I'd have to say "Foxtrot" for the sublime "Suppers Ready" or "Three Sides Live", for just being a fine collection of songs.

Oh and King Crimson are about as proggy band as you could mention. A bit too dark and difficult to get into for my tastes, but fine musicians none the less.

21st Century Schizoid Man and The Spirit Of Radio are the best prog songs I know.

can anyone define prog, apart from 'rock with dodgy time signatures left right and centre'? on that basis half of Led Zeppelin's later repertoire would qualify :/

No lengthy keyboard solos or saxophones etc though.

I lost my copy of In the Court of King Crimson. I'm going to have to go out and buy it again at lunch time so that I can listen to 21st Century Schizoid Man.

Dowww, da na na, da daaaa! Thrum, thrum, thrum...

That's the riff by the way. I think we need a universal language of how to sing guitar riffs. I'll get to work.

PS - What album is The Spirit of Radio on?

21st Century Schizoid Man and The Spirit Of Radio are the best prog songs I know.

Rush were moving away from full-on proggage by the time they did Spirit Of Radio/Permanent Waves. I think Hemispheres & A Farewell To Kings were their beardiest albums by far - followed by the other two concept jobs - 2112 and Caress Of Steel - which lose Prog Bonus Points for having no keyboards...

Mars Volta and Tool are the best contemporary take on Prog that I've heard so far.

Am I alone in finding Dream Theater unlistenably awful - I think it's mostly due to that aptly -named singer.

Am I alone in finding Dream Theater unlistenably awful - I think it's mostly due to that aptly -named singer.

exCellent cheese pun.

There's always Liquid Tension Experiment if you want to get rid of him :(

• 1 month later...
Personally, I don't think the prog scene has been this healthy since the 70's.

I agree, which is why I really hate it when there's a progressive rock programme on TV and all they talk about is Yes and Genesis, without even mentioning Spock's Beard or Dream Theater. BBC 3 had two progrock programmes after another a while back - in the first John Peel was slagging it off as best he could, in the next he was doing the voice-over. Nice principles Mr Peel.

Anyway, I enjoy the heavier side mostly, Pain of Salvation, Dream Theater etc. are both awesome. I can also recommend Devin Townsend's Terria album, as well as Accelerated Evolution if you're into the heavier side of things. Steer clear of his Strapping Young Lad stuff, it's heavy as fuck, in fact pretty much ehavier than anything you can imagine. New band on the InsideOut label called TOC sounds interesting, nice mix of mellow and heavy. New Ayreon is OK, some great moments with good vocals by Devon Graves from Dead Soul Tribe, as well as the Opeth and Saviour Machine vocalists, Mostly Autumn vocalist etc.

Also enjoyed IQ's Subterranea, new album out soon. If you like Genesis you'll probably enjoy Flower Kings as well, Stardust We Are and Retropolis are my favourites. Not so sure about Spock's Beard without Neal Morse, loved everything they did with him, but struggling to get into the new album. However their gig at the Astoria when he was still with them a few years back was the best gig I've EVER seen.

Post-prog rock is where its at these days guys, get with it.

and another thing, does OK computer count as a prog rock album? some say it does.

I've not listened to much of their stuff, but the general consensus from prog fans I've spoken to, is that they are. If you like Radiohead, check out Porcupine Tree and recent Marillion. They all share a mutual respect and have the same creative spirit.

On a side note, the new Ayreon album is absolutely stunning. Best album of the year thus far.

• Robo_1 changed the title to Prog Rock: Porcupine Tree Return!