IGNORED

Your favourite PC game...

New York Mikey

Planescape: Torment, of course (released in 1999, it says here, so it's even a legitimate choice and everything). One of those RPGs that only the PC can really do - if you'll excuse KOTOR for a moment - except it doesn't have any orcs or goblins in and you don't have to find the seven pieces of the magic etc. or smite a wizard. It'll last ages, too, and *all* of it is great stuff. Plus! It is chronologically the last PC game I can truly say I enjoyed playing. Get it or GET OUT.

Planescape: Torment, of course (released in 1999, it says here, so it's even a legitimate choice and everything). One of those RPGs that only the PC can really do - if you'll excuse KOTOR for a moment - except it doesn't have any orcs or goblins in and you don't have to find the seven pieces of the magic etc. or smite a wizard. It'll last ages, too, and *all* of it is great stuff. Plus! It is chronologically the last PC game I can truly say I enjoyed playing. Get it or GET OUT.

Does it have some sort of real-time battle system with clicking and dragging and all sorts?

Sod this FPS shite.

The only multiplayer game you need is Worms World Party. There is no better gaming experience than a worms match between avid fans.

The cries of "Armageddon!" will be forever etched in your brain.

No mates? Then I must recommend Civ II/III (III's my favourite but they're pretty much equal to each other, and without equal in the strategy world), and... um... CM0304 or the faster but older CM0102.

My choices:

Half-Life. It's a must, and the mods available for it are all worth a look.

Operation Flashpoint (plus all the addons). No jumping about like an idiot in this game. Use the terrain to your advantage, hiding in bushes etc. Fly planes/choppers, drive all sorts of vehicles on land and sea. An outstanding game.

Deus Ex 1&2. You MUST have these games.

UT2004. It's the original UT, plus UT2003. And then some.

Civilization II. I played this game for weeks. I'd be about to squash a neighbouring civilization, only to have civil unrest and have to pull my troops back, leaving the enemy to build up their forces and attack me. Totally engrossing game.

Ground Control. Another must.

Does it have some sort of real-time battle system with clicking and dragging and all sorts?

Yes, the battle system is real-time.

HOWEVER.

Battles aren't really what P:T's about, you see. Occasionally you may have to beat up a guy or a several of guys, but it's as far removed a choreographed biffing from the likes of (shudder) Baldur's Gate as you can imagine. Aside from the lowliest of random oiks, you can talk your way out of a fight (or indeed into a fight) and for much of the in-game pottering about from place to place you won't have to beat up even a single of guys. It is, I think, preferable to Baldur's G's system, which is "here are five thousand rat-men before you can get to the next village. Ahaha."

Yes, the battle system is real-time.

HOWEVER.

Battles aren't really what P:T's about, you see. Occasionally you may have to beat up a guy or a several of guys, but it's as far removed a choreographed biffing from the likes of (shudder) Baldur's Gate as you can imagine. Aside from the lowliest of random oiks, you can talk your way out of a fight (or indeed into a fight) and for much of the in-game pottering about from place to place you won't have to beat up even a single of guys. It is, I think, preferable to Baldur's G's system, which is "here are five thousand rat-men before you can get to the next village. Ahaha."

Meh.

Ive always thought the original Balders Gate to be superior than the second as there is generally more fredom to explore appart from that anything by Black Isle and/or Bioware; Icwind Dales, Planescape, Fallouts, NWN , KOTOR, Total Wars, Dungeon Keeper2, Age of Wonders Shadow Magic, Star Wars Galaxies, Warcraft 3, Half Life, Thiefs, Deus Ex, Call Of Duty, Battlefied 1942/vietnam, Cossacks, Combat Missions, Sam & Max, Grandia2, Divine Divinity, Age of Empires 2, GTAs, Black&White, Rollercoaster Tycoon, Civ 3, .....

er anything else? <_<

sorry about the order, just spouting what came to mind, though thats only about half the essentials mind :)

Morrowind

Black and White (it *was* good. But I can't play it anymore now)

WarCraft III

Medieval: Total War (Yes! Yes! Yes!)

AOE2: Age of Kings

Rollercoaster Tycoon

Operation Flashpoint

Combat Mission 2

Serious Sam First & Second Encounter

Day Of Defeat (I played this from quite early but went off it on the release that added the little 3D heart on the HUD - which is all I can remember it added... anyone know what release that was?)

...and, there's more I can't think of, but will update if I do :). (my list has nothing from the past yearish since I've not been playing PC games then.. hopefully to change in the next couple of months <_< )

No one here has mentioned the Sims or sim city. you need both of these games, or wait for the Sims 2. If your after sim city (its a must) get either 2000 or number 4, ignore the original and the 3rd one. Its a classic pc game and stupidly addictive.

Also get dungeon keeper one and 2, do the original first and then the second one.

Now just enjoy.

Oh wait, the original GTA, with its super duper smooth graphics if you can get it working in dos using 3DFX drivers. And carmageddon one and two.

Conflict: Freespace and Freespace 2 are the best non freeform Space figher sims ever made. Go buy them right now (along with a nice Joystick)

Also the Discworld games are well worth a blast. cartoony graphics, so you don't notice the age much, and they're very funny to boot.

Also, If you like football and Don't like Champ Manager, then you don't really like football.

Also, If you like football and Don't like Champ Manager, then you don't really like football.

What if you like football, like Championship Manager and become increasingly infuriated by its obvious shortcomings, but still proclaim it as the best in the genre, which you suddenly realise is akin to calling something "the best episode of My Hero there is"?

Also, If you like football and don't like Champ Manager, then you don't really like football.

A more correct statement would probably be:-

If you like football and don't like Championship Manager, then you don't like football management games.

Don't think anyone as mentioned Grand Prix 4 if you fancy a bit of racing.

Mafia is probably one of the best singleplayer games I've played on ANY platform of recent years (I'm not kidding)

Regardless of what everyone else thinks I also really liked:

Max Payne 1 & 2

Splinter Cell

SimCity 3000

NFS: Porsche Challenge

Motocross Madness

Colin McRae 2