IGNORED

Your favourite PC game...

New York Mikey

So, I got a PC capable of gaming for the first time ever recently. And now I've got it all set up I'm looking to catch up on the past few years of gaming that I've missed.

So, which games qualify as PC classics? Are there any titles I should pick up now just to relive seminal moments in gaming? Should this thread possibly be in ATF?

Which game would you choose from the last five years above all others?

My favourate ever PC game is Quake III: Arena, but I doubt thats what you'r looking for... proabably because it can be be played on virtually anybodys machine.

This game has no right to be my favourate PC game due to how poor the SP is, but the online community around when I spent most of my time on this game (about 9-12 months ago) was simply amazing. Most fun I have ever had on a PC.

Last five years? Well, definitely Deus Ex. Beyond that, depends what genres you're into.

Oh, and GTA3.

Edit: FPS-wise, the choice is ridiculous now. Q3, RTCW/ET, Far Cry, Battlefield, Call of Duty are all worth a look.

Mafia's great too, if you're skilled and patient enough to buy into it.

Final Fantasy XI is easily the best game (I have probably ever played).

Call of Duty is good, Shogun Total War, Close Combat III, Systemshock 2 and Operation Flashpoint.

Far Cry is supposed to be good, UT 2004 and Battlefield Vietnam.

Oh and there's always Doom III, Half Life 2 and Rome Total War to look forward to.

Counter Strike

Half Life

Deus Ex

Homeworld

Hegemonia

Unreal Tourney

Shogun: Total War (I AM SHINGEN!)

pre 1999, there are still a few gems out there. Stuff like Broken Sword and the excellent Blade Runner game are still worth playing, even by todays standards.

debaser, I'm taking your word for it and downloading day of defeat. You play any counter strike over steam?

Counter Strike

Half Life

Deus Ex

Homeworld

Hegemonia

Unreal Tourney

Shogun: Total War (I AM SHINGEN!)

pre 1999, there are still a few gems out there. Stuff like Broken Sword and the excellent Blade Runner game are still worth playing, even by todays standards.

Recently played Indiana Jones & The Fate of Atlantis (using SCUMVM) from 1993! Excellent.

I'd have to go with Q3 for the same reasons as Yawdib... the online community made that game for me.

Credit is also due to CM0304 which is capable of sucking up hours of my life like no other game.

Finally, Spider Solitaire is pretty damn addictive too... dont deny it... :angry:

Hell, I even give G-Police a whirl on my PC.

Some games just don't seem to lose any of their charm with the passage of time.

I bought Sid Meiers Alpha Centauri around 6 months ago and I've still not got my head around it - I daresay it will forever be lost on me.

Jeeze, 5 years!

ok,

FPS

System shock 2

Deus Ex

RTS

Warcraft 3 ( & frozen throne expansion)

Command & Conquer (& zero hour Expansion)

Starcraft

RPG

Neverwinter knights

Tactical shooters

hidden and dangerous 2

Ravenshield (& expansion)

Enemy Territory [Wolfenstein] this one is free :angry:

Half-life with mods

you could always try condition zero to give cs a go. you can play the bots and learn the game, otherwise you'll get raped online...

my fave of the hl mods are natural selection, tfc and cs.

Thinking about it, I'd have to say that the amount of fun I had with Carmageddon (1 and 2... we don't speak of the third one) has been unmatched by any other PC game I've played.

I remember spending hours just messing about with that game, trying to get those classic replays, searching out all the hidden stuff that Stainless software put in ("That's the last time he shits in the woods") and just, well, having fun.

Here's hoping the rumored re-working is going to be just as good.

DEUS EX is easily the best game that I have ever played.....but I would also like to mention Flight Unlimited 3 (+ the San Francisco scenery from Flight Unlimited 2), which is (in my opinion) a far better simulation of flight, ATC and general "feel" than MSFS has ever been.

Single Player Games:

Deus Ex

Gothic

Gothic 2

Baldurs Gate 2

Morrowind

Far Cry

System Shock

System Shock 2

Daggerfall

Monkey Island Series (except the 4th installment)

Sam 'n Max Hit the Road

Day of the Tentacle

Full Throttle

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis

Multiplayer Games:

Unreal Tournment

Quake 3 Arena

Duke Nukem 3D

UT2K4

Return to Castle Wolfenstein

I'm amazed tha no one has mentioned the Gothic games at all, these are simply unbelievable fun to play, exteremely animated game universe, believable characters, exciting and nonlinear gameplay and amazing story development! Recommended!!!