rllmuk
xiphoid

FFXI

Even when I snuck away to a corner to recover HP I kept being found and attacked, if not by orcs then by bats.

IIRC the FAQ on "Hate" in Gamefaqs says that Hate increases gradually the longer you heal. It increases with almost anything you do actually, and the only way to shed it is to Zone or just stand around doing nothing.

I wonder if Square have any events up their sleave for Easter, giant bunnies or jesus coming back maybe?

An easter egg hunt would be cool tho.

Yes, there's an easter event! I got an egg! :ph34r:

Nobody seems to know what to do with them yet :D

IIRC the FAQ on "Hate" in Gamefaqs says that Hate increases gradually the longer you heal. It increases with almost anything you do actually, and the only way to shed it is to Zone or just stand around doing nothing.

I just love some of the nuances of this game. Even the fact that I can only improve my sword skills at the minute by taking on decent challenges and above seems right and somehow fair - there is just so much going on in the background all the time.

Also found out about Meat munchkabobs (or whatever they're called) adding +5 to stength today and +2 to vitality (?). They could be pretty good food for a thief with a goodish sword and dagger.

I have been trying not to look things like this up though because finding things out for yourself comes over to me as really satisfying. Equally I only look at maps that I own in game and don't look up ideal levelling areas or how to do missions and quests. Maybe I'm being a bit stupid but it makes sense to me. Asking questions of players in game mind feels ok and real to the gaming world.

From Final Fantasy Vault:

04/08/2004 08:25 [PDT]

Egg Hunt Egg-stravaganza

Did you hear the news? The Moogles of Vana'diel have been playing with something egg-straordinary. You have a chance to collect eggs, as well as mix and match according to various rules! Let's see what you can find at the "Egg Hunt"!

Within a limited time period, you will be able to collect eggs known as "initial eggs." If you find the correct combination of eggs, you may receive an eggs-tra surprise!

So lets start collecting those initial eggs! A letter of the alphabet is carved on the surface of each initial egg. There is one for every letter of the alphabet!

The easiest way to get ahold of these eggs is by speaking to the Moogles in San d'Oria, Windurst, and Bastok. Bear in mind that you can only receive one free egg per day (Vana'diel time).

Also, when you want more initial eggs, try trading other types of eggs to the Moogles. But remember, you can only try this once a day as well. Moogles seem to like some eggs more than others. Try trading different numbers of different eggs and see what you can recieve!

If you have enough initial eggs in hand, you will be able to trade with other adventurers and try the "First 3" challenge! Combine the correct letters and give them to the Moogle. If you are successful in making a "First 3," you'll be awarded a wonderful prize.

In addition, there are all kinds of rules in play for the Egg Hunt. Rumor has it that there are plenty of hidden elements to this event, including secret combinations and more! Moogles may give you clues, so make sure you ask!

The egg-citement begins on April 8th, 2004 at 8:00 (PDT) and continues until April 13th, 2004 at 0:00 (PDT). Now's your chance to join in with the Moogles, so don't miss out!

Hey Pungee - just to say I'm waiting for a Dualshock-USB adaptor to arrive. I tried using the mouse and it drove me nuts, running around like a drunk zombie. Once it shows up, I'll get to work...

Yeah I've got one and its made a massive difference. Best gamepad I've ever used on a PC as well.

Hey Pungee - just to say I'm waiting for a Dualshock-USB adaptor to arrive. I tried using the mouse and it drove me nuts, running around like a drunk zombie. Once it shows up, I'll get to work...

Excellent, I was starting to wonder where you had got to. Make sure you let us know when you'll be on.

Guest wskertich

FYI: As per Xiph's idea before he took off, I was able to earn enough Gil for a new LS. The LS is white this time, and properly named: "AlbionJr". Any and all from the original LS are welcome to get a new pearl if they want. Devdas is able to hand them out as well. Talk to either Devdas or myself if you want a white pearl. Xiph, this one is for you buddy.

Easter egg update:

You can get a new egg each game day from the moggles.

Trade the first three letter of your character name back to the moggle for a prize.

Prizes are Chocobo tickets or various flavours of 'drops' (sweets).

People are selling the lettered eggs for 2-3,000 gil each

Guest wskertich
Apparently, the 'super combo' is the first letter of your name + the next seven alphabetically.

I heard today that the "super combo" was actually your full name. Not sure though. I am sure I will find out sooner or later. I made lvl 32 on my WHM tonight. Hope to get to 36 by the end of this weekend so I can use my scroll of Teleport-Holla. Cya all around.

If you still don't have a new pearl, talk to either myself, Bne, Katchoo, Devdas, Jarik, or Finbarr. We will give you a new pearl. Cya around.

OK, I've now done all three known combos:

First 3 letters of my name (FIN) = got 4 'chocobo tickets'

First letter of my name + next 7 alphabetically (FGHIJKLM) = got 'happy egg'

Seven of the same letter (MMMMMMM) = got 'lucky egg'

Chocobo ticket - free chocobo ride

Happy egg - rare/ex item. +1% HP, +1 VIT when equipped as a throwing item

Lucky egg - rare/ex item. +1% MP, +1 VIT when equipped as a throwing item

When "Checking" some other players in game recently i've noticed that they don't always fill every equipment slot. Probably some of them are low level and can't afford it or are out to do things other than fighting, but that screenshot on the old FFXI thread showing the really high level players with empty equip slots does make wonder whether my attitude to extra DEF (more=better) is correct.

I'd took it for granted that the more armour you had the better, as this has been the case in every RPG i'd played to date. But now i wonder if only certain slots make a real difference, like "body".

OK, I've now done all three known combos:

First 3 letters of my name (FIN) = got 4 'chocobo tickets'

First letter of my name + next 7 alphabetically (FGHIJKLM) = got 'happy egg'

Seven of the same letter (MMMMMMM) = got 'lucky egg'

Chocobo ticket - free chocobo ride

Happy egg - rare/ex item. +1% HP, +1 VIT when equipped as a throwing item

Lucky egg - rare/ex item. +1% MP, +1 VIT when equipped as a throwing item

I did the first 3 letters of my name (KAT) and got a blue drop.

There are unconfirmed rumours going round the alakazham site that trading all colours of drops to the moogles gets you bunny ears! Probably not true, but would be cool if it was :unsure:

Also, I'm trying to decide if the 1% add to hp is worth it... My thf currently has 500 odd hp, so this would add a grand total of 5 hp to my total :lol:

When "Checking" some other players in game recently i've noticed that they don't always fill every equipment slot.  Probably some of them are low level and can't afford it or are out to do things other than fighting, but that screenshot on the old FFXI thread showing the really high level players with empty equip slots does make wonder whether my attitude to extra DEF (more=better) is correct.

I'd took it for granted that the more armour you had the better, as this has been the case in every RPG i'd played to date.  But now i wonder if only certain slots make a real difference, like "body".

With my Bard, I have every slot apart from Sub-weapon and Ranged Ammo full.

I use two rings and my neck armour to increase my CHR, two earrings to increase my MP, a weapon, my current instument, then the rest of the slots are armour.

Which at the moment, is the Lizard set with Light Soleas and Scentless Armlets.

Surely the more increase you can get to your stats is a good thing, so I'd try and use every slot.

Also, hi Kat. Haven't seen you on there for ages!

Depends on if you want to collect a lot of items when in teams or farming I guess. If you're a not a tank, chances are you don't need as many DEF bonus items and would rather have an extra stack of sellable items than +5 mp or something? My Red Mage has every slot filled (steady...:lol:) except range but then, I'm trying to get her elemental defence as high as possible (as well as raising her weak Elvaan Intelligence).

Guest wskertich

As my last day in Vana'diel will be Wednesday, I would like to have everyone that has the new pearl switch over to it by Tuesday. Don't worry, I will be back, however, not for about 3 weeks. I will do my best to check the FLIST on POL site in case anyone wants to leave me messages. As always, it is a pleasure working with you all, and I hope to work with you more after I come back.

Thanks Caramon and Jarik for tracking in me down last night, reviving me and giving me a white linkpearl. Outstanding job especially as I was off the beaten track. Its quite amazing what you can't do when you've been ko'd. I couldn't look at the map and couldn't get my position and <pos> definitely didn't work however I typed it.

Theres a new linkshell!? Damn, you go away for a few days and it's all change. I'll be in Valkurm -> San D tonight if anyone is around to give me one. :ph34r:

Guest Two Heavens

Would any of you peeps like to give a little overview of what it's like being a thief? Is it particularly hard going? Does it get easier?

Would any of you peeps like to give a little overview of what it's like being a thief? Is it particularly hard going? Does it get easier?

It is slightly difficult to level solo once you get past say level 8/9/10 but then most jobs are. The good thing though is that you'll have plenty of cash to buy up do date equipment and weapons. It really gets fun and useful in parties once you learn sneak attack at level 15 - you start doing decent damage.

Guest Two Heavens

Thanks hub! I had a quick look at some of the FFXI forums and it's just painful to get an overview of what a class is like. So many people obsessed with being "uber".

April updates:

The first conflict event "Ballista" will be implemented.

New quests and battles designed for alliances will be implemented.

New quests will be available in each nation.

Guild quests that call for the manufacturer of certain items will be implemented.

Characters will be able to participate in a strategy called "Garrison" at several outposts.

New Dynamis areas will be added.

Several new types of battlefields from low- to mid-level will be added.

An issue concerning the accumulation of TP with multiple strikes will be corrected.

A new Job Trait called "Subtle Blow" will be added for Ninja and Monks.

An ability that allows Dragoons to restore their Wyvern's HP will be added. Additionally, Wyverns that are dismissed with full HP will be available for instant resummoning.

The mysterious "strange apparatus" will become usable.

A new type of flowerpot will become available.

Players will be able to insert their names in the help text of certain items they synthesize.

New guild-related furniture and equipment will be added.

The number of items obtained from beastman treasure caskets will be increased.

New synthesis and desynthesis recipes will become available.

New items will be available for purchase at several of the guild shops.

Various other new items will be added.

A new emote animation for doing a "triumphant yell" will be added.

A sort function will be added for the Storage menu.

A character's footsteps will no longer be audible when using Sneak.

The name of a pet's master will be displayed when a pet is targeted.

The limit for the /wait macro will be extended to 60 seconds.

A toggle for Battle Effects will be added to the Config menu.

It will be possible to place single items from one auction directly from a stack of items.

Several other changes will be announced at the time of the update.

*waits for new graphics card*

April updates:

*waits for new graphics card*

Man I love Squenix - those updates are great. Especially the /wait extension -that's soooo handy. And making items with your name on!

COMBAT!!!!!

Missing you Pungee.