rllmuk
xiphoid

FFXI

Ooooh, xiphoid!

I was just in the process of getting this so I could play with you!

Anybody know how this works for UK based players using a PS2?

I don't know if anybody has managed it yet.

It's a fairly recent PAL model, chipped and I'd be using a UK network adaptor.

Once that's sorted I guess I'll have to sort out broadband too.

Pungee wrote:

PS2 hardware incompatibility: It is rumored that older model PS2's with an old chipset receive DNAS error code 880 or 881. Only a Sony technician can fix this problem. If you receive this error, call SCEA Consumer Services at 1-866-466-5333, or 1-800-345-7669 between the hours of 6:00am - 7:00pm (Pacific Standard Time)

Are you using a modded or PAL PS2?

I don't know the full details but it might well be something to look up, or maybe PM pungee and get any details he has.

Ok, thanks. So pungee is playing it on PS2?

I'll send him a PM.

It's a chipped PAL PS2, but it is a new-ish model.

I suppose I could always ebay it if it doesn't work.

Edited by Laine

Can anybody tell me what the minimum specs I need to get this to work?

Looks like I've got no chance with the PS2 route.

With a bit (lots) of upgrading I might get my PC to manage it, if I turn the details right down. Reccomendations of cheapish graphics cards to use would be handy too.

Thanks very much!

Can anybody tell me what the minimum specs I need to get this to work?

Looks like I've got no chance with the PS2 route.

With a bit (lots) of upgrading I might get my PC to manage it, if I turn the details right down. Reccomendations of cheapish graphics cards to use would be handy too.

Thanks very much!

Its quite scaleable I think... have your downloaded the benchmark? (~55Mb)

First of all, what are your specs at the moment? They may be comparable to the pecs with someone who plays here.

Edited by hub2

Yes, if I posted them it would probably help wouldn't it!

It's an old PC from my folks, I know nothing about it apart from the fact it can't run Neverwinter Nights!

I'll find out when I get home.

Hopefully, just a new graphics card would do...

xiph, I'll let you know in a few days abou buying your copy.

Need to see if I can get it working first.

:/ Not looking good, but I'll post the minimum specs for the game when I get home (if soemone doesn't do it first).

I didn't think so!

I'm willing to spend a bit upgrading, but it is really poor.

Damn.

Thanks for all your help guys.

What spec is your PC Laine? Before I upgraded my processor I was running the game on an Athlon 1400 GHz machine and it was running fine with some (a lot) of the details turned down.

Credit has to go to Square for getting this running so smoothly on low spec machines, esp since some of the areas are massive with other parties fighting stuff all over the place.

I agree with that Gunstar. Anyone who's played PSO will be aware of the popup in that game (and lag), even within relatively small arena.

The draw distance in FFXI is superb in comparison and I've yet to experience lag that affects the game in any major way.

Can someone give me a few tips on what to do in this game is just really confusing when you are new. I'm sure ffxi is really good once you get into it but atm i cant and cause of that i never stay logged on for more then 30 minuts at once

Don't think of approaching this game with any laid down plans. Just chill and do what you want. If in doubt explore, get your adventurers pass and go out in the wilds and try and kill something (tip: go for cute rather than ugly enemies to beging with and always 'check' them first).

I'd suggest a radeon 9600. Should be plenty cheap enough and does th ethe job on at least one PC I know of.

If you wanted to go even cheaper, I'm running with with a 9200. Which cost me £40 back in November.

This isn't going to work.

;)

The PC I'm using is much crapper than I thought (originally bought so my Mother could use Excel!).

It's a Pentium 2 (ha!) and has 9G (HAHA!) hard drive space, of whch 6.5 is available.

I guess I could spend a load of cash upgrading (but I'll need a new motherboard, processor, hard drive etc etc).

I'd better off buying a new machine.

Will you all be playing this in 6 months when I can afford one?

:(:P

This isn't going to work.

;)

The PC I'm using is much crapper than I thought (originally bought so my Mother could use Excel!).

It's a Pentium 2 (ha!) and has 9G (HAHA!) hard drive space, of whch 6.5 is available.

I guess I could spend a load of cash upgrading (but I'll need a new motherboard, processor, hard drive etc etc).

I'd better off buying a new machine.

Will you all be playing this in 6 months when I can afford one?

:(:P

You could do what I did and get one from Dell on credit. My PC is quality, it came in at just under £1100 and I'm paying off £42, including payment protection, for the next 36 months. In my opinion that isn't too bad. Plus you get the option to upgrade at the end of the 36 months.

That's what I was thinking of doing, there's one on offer that's perfect for £741, a bit more with an upgrade.

What's the interest like? It's pretty high isn't it?

That upgradey thing might come in handy too.

That's an awful lot of money just to play one game. Although you'll probably get a lot more use out of it than just that.

Whats the problem with playing on PS2? Getting another ntsc console would be much, much cheaper.

That's an awful lot of money just to play one game. Although you'll probably get a lot more use out of it than just that.

Whats the problem with playing on PS2? Getting another ntsc console would be much, much cheaper.

That's one option.

A new pc has been on the cards for a while anyway.

Hmm, I don't know!

Maybe a US PS2 would be better, we've thought about getting

a second PS2 so we can both play our PS2 games at the same time.

I guess I'll just have to face up to the fact I'm not going to be able to play it.

I can't afford any of this new stuff anyway.

Bah!

Guest wskertich

This is just a reminder for those of you I have already told: I will be moving soon. Wednesday, the 14th of April will be my last day on FFXI for approximately 3-4 weeks. Upon my return to the wonderful realm of Vana'diel, I will be 7 hours behind GMT, therefore, I will probably not see too much of you all except on the weekends. If there is anything that any of you need help with before the 14th, please send me a message, or post it to the board, and I will get back to you. I hope to see any and all of you upon my return. Xiph, I am sad to see that you have gone, and I hope to meet up with you again some time, until then, Happy Journeys, and good luck in what you do.

Guest wskertich

Devdas and I have been up to it again. Dev has been lvling BST, and I've been lvling DRG. We are both lvl 7, and invite you all to Windy/Saruta to level with us if youre interested. Hope to see you all....

Devdas and I have been up to it again. Dev has been lvling BST, and I've been lvling DRG. We are both lvl 7, and invite you all to Windy/Saruta to level with us if youre interested. Hope to see you all....

Bah, I'm doing the same, trying to level my warrior subjob (which is bloody boring) but I'm in Sandy. I think Square should of done something to make leveling subjobs easier cuz it's not much fun going back to killing rabbits and worms again, then getting killed by orcs and goblins with no high enough WMG's around to raise.

I was in the ghelsba fort this morning. Bloody hell everything there aggros really easily. I was solo but one on one I thought I'd be relatively ok - twice though there were shouts warning of massive orc trains on the way (but neither came my way). I also survived two or three really close scrapes as orcs ganged up on me. Even when I snuck away to a corner to recover HP I kept being found and attacked, if not by orcs then by bats.

I then went into an area that had unfortunately been cleared before me only to realise that I was alone and surrounded by groups of decent challenges and even matches and decided to get out - I had what looked like one even matched orc to get by (and I had TP and perfect dodge to use) but ,just as I attacked, two other orcs appeared and I was crucified. A passing taru revived me and I ran with 5 hp to my name but, even then, I wasn't out of the woods as a worthless pugil attacked me and I was down to 2 HP before I could use a potion.

I didn't have a map but I now know the area pretty well. I think though I'll go in with a party next time!

Fort is a great place to lvl in a PT for lvl 9-10's. If you want to solo in Ghelsba you are better off killing Grunts and Neckchoppers near where the Thousandarm Deshglesh spawns(outside of Fort).

Lately I have been very lucky in drops. Got myself another Travellers mantle off a Spook, now I just have to get a Grue drop.

Fort is a great place to lvl in a PT for lvl 9-10's. If you want to solo in Ghelsba you are better off killing Grunts and Neckchoppers near where the Thousandarm Deshglesh spawns(outside of Fort).

Yeah Ghelsba Fort felt a bit hairy in solo at lvl 13