IGNORED

FFXI

xiphoid

I was thinking about this too. Some of the quests require very specific, rare drops which I'd imagine would be nearly impossible to 'discover' in normal play.

I wonder if Square provided some basic guides and things to get things started before the fansites started to appear.

Agreed, but what makes it worse is the time it takes to travel around. There are NPC's that signpost quest objectives but if you miss one (a bit like I did last night) your in for a lot of traveling around trying to find the right person to talk to, add to this the possibility of getting agro and ending up dead.

Saying that, after doing the Journey abroad Mission and arriving home in Sandy (even if I did forget to talk to the guy in Windy and had to travel back there again) it really did feel like I'd been on an epic journey across continents.

What I really want to see is a Chocobo stable in the port towns.

I was thinking about this too. Some of the quests require very specific, rare drops which I'd imagine would be nearly impossible to 'discover' in normal play.

I wonder if Square provided some basic guides and things to get things started before the fansites started to appear.

Just tried to post a fairly large post about this but the forum ate it <_<

My main points were maybe we are missing out on something. Maybe some guy did tell you what to do with the SAM quest but because we went straight to the websites, we missed out on this.

My example was SMN were I went straight for the item and took it straight to were I needed to, all the time wondering how I 'knew' that I needed to do this. I found out afterwards that I had apparently missed out on a cutscene where all this stuff was presumably explained.

I'm just about to start too so come join me !

Nice one!

Be typical of me to get this to find its 8 years old and about to be canned <_<

Be a little while yet, probably another month before I am ready to go

It's not out in the UK no? Need to get from US it seems?

Nice one!

Be typical of me to get this to find its 8 years old and about to be canned  <_<

Be a little while yet, probably another month before I am ready to go

It's not out in the UK no? Need to get from US it seems?

Yes you will have to import (or get it from some indie that has it, Another World, CeX etc). I bought mine while on my hols there a couple of weeks ago.

When you subscribe you also have to put in a genuine US zipcode, so mine's registered to the Luxor Hotel in Las Vegas where I stayed and had the zip handy ;)

Yes you will have to import (or get it from some indie that has it, Another World, CeX etc). I bought mine while on my hols there a couple of weeks ago.

When you subscribe you also have to put in a genuine US zipcode, so mine's registered to the Luxor Hotel in Las Vegas where I stayed and had the zip handy ;)

<_<

I have stayed in the Luxor, it has talking camels.

When you subscribe you also have to put in a genuine US zipcode, so mine's registered to the Luxor Hotel in Las Vegas where I stayed and had the zip handy

I just stuck in my own address and postcode, But changed the state to new york.Hmmm.My first payment is due tomorrow, Maybe i should change my details to include an actual American address.I don't want to be kicked off.

When you subscribe you also have to put in a genuine US zipcode, so mine's registered to the Luxor Hotel in Las Vegas...

Chicago Municipal Library. <_<

Jonnyc (and all those about to or thinking about playing), the great thing about FFXI is that we'll *never* be too high level to play with you, the job system means that we can change jobs at any time to a level suitable for newer players. Infact often it's nessesary to quit the level grind of your main job and drop down to lower levels to get some cash and farm items.

Regarding the obtuse nature of the quests. I think this goes a long way in creating community on FFXI, to level up within the game you have to form parties and communicate with other players. To get to find out about all the cool stuff you can do you have to communicate outside the game experience as well. This of course is through websites and forums. If the NPC's came straight out and told you everything an element of mystery would be removed and people would just be going from a to b ferrying items x and y.

Would Anyone mind posting a quick and dirty list of people to look out for on Garuda please ? (just to save reading 50+ pages) . Here's a start.

BoardName - Character(s)

Hub2 -Dabeckt

kaisu - Noniro

Mechamonkey - Jaul

Melon Bread - Gunstar

Zakalwe - Katchoo

SystemShock - Stolly

wskertich - Caramon, Kiersten, Elexis

jeem - Bne

On rare drops, quests etc, my theory is that they are deliberately vaguely described to force people in the game to talk to each other about it. Forums circumvent this in a way, as Kat said. Although considering the distances/size of the game world etc. involved you'd have to spend a huge amount of time working out many of the missions from the hints NPCs give alone.

It's a bit wierd how getting hi-level help for quests etc. is frowned upon, but going to a forum and prinitng out exact instructions how to do it isn't. Getting hi-level help is much more in the spirit of the game, well within its 'rules'.

Of course the issue of how much you get out of the game when a lvl 60 character just storms through for you is debateable.

The old days when I knew nothing and sat cowering in Jugner or running for my life across Ronfaure were the best, no doubt. But then the badass feeling you get as a higher level character is good too.

Ed was very rude and childish when in FFXi. Maybe that's just me thinking that though. The game didn't suit him but the critiscms were purely based on there misunderstanding of the game requitrments and mechanics.

I also have a friend who used to play, he could be arsed with all that "gay" crafting and "shit". He was looking for a game that rewards you more highly for winning fights and battles - there ar emany games out there for him and he doesn't criticise the FFXI mechanics rathe rhe knows they are not for him.

I do sometimes wonder if the game would be possible without an online set of guides... you couldn't work out, how to complete the Samurai Quest - it is too obtuse, maybe this is a problem mor eof translation though - many subtle hints may be lost.

When I began playing this game I really did discover certain things absolutely out of the blue and that did make a massive impact.

I tried to explore Sauromugue without a map looking for Jeuno at level 4 (because I'd asked the way to Jeuno) - I died three times trying but never did make it - it became a bit like looking for the north west passage! First experience of being bound there too and then wiped out in one blow by the blue stripy Sauromugue skink with 175 hit points (when just 50 would have probably done the trick).

I stumbled across Mhaura (running from an IT Goblin) at something like level 9 and the resulting boat trip just blew me away. No map of Bubu at that time.

I eventually got through to Jeuno at level 11 or 12 and completed a round the world trip of Windy, San D, Jeuno, Bastock and then back to Windy. In fact I actually visited Jeuno before Bastock. Obviously couldn't do much in Jeuno at the time other than wonder how the hell I would get back and whether I'd level down much in the process.

I have to say that my first visit to the beach at Valkurm was amazing too with all the parties at play there - it still seems completely surreal even now.

Other things I found out for myself but the hard way:

The ability to stack (stackable) items in my inventory - at about lvl 8 (didn't half have to run back to the AH alot before then).

The advantage of casting signet (probably lvl 5 or 6) and who to see to get it.

Saving my home point at the top end of Meriphatoad Mountains at lvl 4 and then dying means that I respawn in a bad place and could be (read 'was') in for a die/respawn/die/respawn etc cycle!

Would Anyone mind posting a quick and dirty list of people to look out for on Garuda please ? (just to save reading 50+ pages) . Here's a start.

BoardName - Character(s)

Hub2 -Dabeckt

kaisu - Noniro

Mechamonkey - Jaul

Melon Bread - Gunstar

Zakalwe - Katchoo

SystemShock - Stolly

wskertich - Caramon, Kiersten, Elexis

Loop - Elorian or Scissors

Pungee - Pungee

Alan Stock - Jigsaw

Rushy - Rushy

Xiphoid - Xiph

Devdas - Devdas

Theres also Jarik, Rayah, Finbar and a few others.

When I began playing this game I really did discover certain things absolutely out of the blue and that did make a massive impact.

Absolutley. I agree that you do find all these things out - it is some of the more complicated missions and quests that actually get confusing. Time demands being an obvious limitation on the exploring nature of some quests.

I got the game a couple of days after its US release. It was my first MMO and MMORPG and at that time I wasn't even aware that online forums and sites exsited for these games - it was uphill all the way - it's where my fledgling files took shape in fact. If I look at it closely I'm sure I prefered not knowing about online forums but I'm certian I wouldn not have achieved as many objective targets in game.

I do remember the days where they were 3 people in the LS and the need to go outside the link was undeniable. Now the ls is as good a resource for info as anyone else - which I see as both good and bad.

Guest wskertich

Once again... Please set up a signature so that everyone can see who you play as in FFXI. I believe that it would allow people to know who is who. Thx

Karrus...sry bud, never see you online :)

Once again... Please set up a signature so that everyone can see who you play as in FFXI. I believe that it would allow people to know who is who. Thx

Karrus...sry bud, never see you online :)

I could, but I wont.

That reminds me, I started levelling a Warrior last night to collect crystals. Quickly got to level 3 but started to get cocky and take on toughs for 120 exp. Beat a couple but then picked on a pugil that was rock hard - managed to use scroll of instant warp in the nick of time and warped back to Windhurst with 1 HP left. The warp just takes an age to load and my timing was just as tight as it could have been! Thats my experience telling of course. :)

That reminds me, I started levelling a Warrior last night to collect crystals. Quickly got to level 3 but started to get cocky and take on toughs for 120 exp. Beat a couple but then picked on a pugil that was rock hard - managed to use scroll of instant warp in the nick of time and warped back to Windhurst with 1 HP left. The warp just takes an age to load and my timing was just as tight as it could have been! Thats my experience telling of course. :)

I *think* there's no exp loss for death at level 3.

Some people, eh? Conquest points to burn... :P

No experience loss for lvl 1-3, even if you die 4-6/7, you can make tye experience back in a couple of fights. Best keep the conquest points for the weapons and armour, even if you just sell it rather than use it yourself.