IGNORED

FFXI

xiphoid

Whilst Pungee's advice is sound, I'd suggest BLM first.

You can get your BLM to level 18 (and get a sunjob) far more easily than a WHM. Once you have subjobs' avaialble, switch up to WHM and level to 30. using WHM and BLM sub.

Sorry to disagree there Pungee.

Yeah, Xiph's right.

What I meant to say was make WHM the first job you take to 30 if you're looking to end up as a Bard.

I finally got round to installing this last night (PC Version) from a US import including the expansion, what a time sink, and thats just the installation !!

Anyway I left it patching away its 9000 files (yes literally) this morning so I should be fumbling around with my future Bard at some point later :)

Anyone have any tips on setting up my PS2 pad and some common macro help would be muchly appreciated.

Do you need a worldpass or will you try the 'keep creating player' route to get onto the Garuda server? Not getting onto Garuda is not allowed by the way!

Oh and when you get on, be sure to get on our Linkshell. You can lots of help if needed to avoid being completely flummoxed by the choices that the game throws at you at the beginning (although I personally enjoyed finding a fair amount out for myself until reaching lvl 10). The sub-jobbiong system though means that virtually any existing player can change their job and play alongside you if needed. Alternatively you get get a half decent WHM to power level you.

As for setting up the PS2 pad, use the FFXI config utility on the Start/ Programs/ Playonline/ FFXI option on your PC. Most of its default once you select the gamepad and the dualshock is obviously the pad of choice. You get 20 pre-installed macros, all the obvious ones with the ability to add another 180 of your own! Do that much later I would suggest. ;)

Guest wskertich
Alternatively you get get a half decent WHM to power level you.

Or you can get me to help you out. And as most people know, I am more than a "Decent WHM". ;)

Yes, If you have any questions at all, don't be afraid to ask, and we will do our best to help you out.

Guest wskertich

ARGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, so I had Garuda down to about 15-20% health this time.... I'm getting better. I think the next time I try her out, I should be able to take her down. She used her 2hr on me and Carby and wiped us out just as I was about to do my 3rd and final Searing Light. I ALMOST HAD HER!!!!!!!! I think I am taking some time off now from doing that. I think I will lvl WHM some more in order to get my mind off of my disappointing defeats. If anyone needs anything, just ask in a tell. I will probably unequip my shell for the night just so I can concentrate on lvling. Cya around.

Tried about 20 times but had no luck gettign a character on Garuda, I think Im on Midsomething atm.

Spent all night sorting the controls and nosing around the shops, the inevitable spiders and bat cull will have to wait till tomorrow !

I think I'm going to love this......

If anyone could send me a worldpass that would be tops :)

Jaul - Lv 1 WHM !

Picked up a mission in Windhurst last night which involved travelling to Castle Oztroja (sp?). I'd seen it for sale as a map but hadn't a clue where it was. I found it in Meriphataud Mountains and (stupidly) bought a map for 3000 gil!

Choco'd up there, traipsing round the MM's until I found the entrance to Oztroja. Crikey there are some tough mobs in Meriphataud especially the blue raptors but also boggarts, courls and others but going on the chocobo it didn't worry me too much. Entering Castle Oztroja though was another thing altogether - its a Yag camp and just full to the rafters with Yags and the few I saw were all tough and that was just in the door! No place for a soloing lvl 21 and Im not sure Id have felt any safer in a party. Nobody else was there either so it was damn spooky.

Decided to give this mission a big body swerve for the time being but of course have to now run back out of the Mountains - I think it'll be ok on the main track though but I'll find out later!

Oh and look forward to meeting you in Garuda Jaul. Opt for Windhurst as a starting city as everyone from San D or Bastock (in the linkshell) are really odd sorts!

Spent all night sorting the controls and nosing around the shops, the inevitable spiders and bat cull will have to wait till tomorrow !

You'll find bats near Bastock and San D (and lots of the dungeons and camps) but I've yet to come across any spiders. Fucking great scorpions yes but spiders no. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the imagination and incredible diversity used for the mobs in this game. (I'm sure there will be spiders somewhere mind). Also no rats (!!!!) but there are Raribs.

Wait till you see something like a Seamonk for the first time or even a Dhamel. Or a Raptor or Couerl. Even common beastmen - Goblins, Orcs, Yagoda and Quadavs - will surprise you I think.

I'm sure there will be spiders somewhere mind.

Yep, there are spiders... horrible horrible things, with long spindly legs... Although they only have 6 mind, which I guess is OK cos the beetles only have 4.

I'm trying to put a party together tonight.

Looking for some organised level 16-19 people to quickly put some levels on from around about 7 tonight.

If this sounds like your sort of deal, post up. If it does but the timing is wrong, then let me know and we can amend the details.

I'm trying to put a party together tonight.

Looking for some organised level 16-19 people to quickly put some levels on from around about 7 tonight.

If this sounds like your sort of deal, post up. If it does but the timing is wrong, then let me know and we can amend the details.

Xiph my monk is only 15 and I cant make tonight. By the time I can, I suspect that you'll have moved onto the late teens. Going to Valkurm?

Xiph my monk is only 15 and I cant make tonight. By the time I can, I suspect that you'll have moved onto the late teens. Going to Valkurm?

I'm in the late teens, having managed to hit the heady heights of 18 last night. If you leave your monk at 15 till perhaps the weekend, I may have a subjob coming your way in level terms.

'm trying to avoid Valkurn - which is why I'm trying to sort a party here, we can use the deserted Bub instead -killing Bulls' is a lot more fun than hacking clippers.

I might join you Xiph, I fancy leveling my Warrior sub a bit, thing is I have to buy a load of new eqipment and I'm not sure how much money I've got at the moment.

I thought this would appeal to sub job levelling. I'll happilly change palns to accomodate - don't want to start too late.

To accomodate, we shall amend the time till 8.

I think that should give us some other non rllmuk peeps to whip into a party.

Jeem, what level job are you thinking of bring to the fray? We can perhaps set a level range!

Guest wskertich

I'm not going to be able to make that time frame, but would more than likely drop by to say hi. Closest I have is either 25 or 15. I think my main goal for today will be strictly admin. I need to figure out exactly what I have, and what I need when it comes to inventory. If you see me running by with a horde of goblins in Buburimu, feel free to say hi, and to watch me gain a bit of gil....GRATS on getting SUBJOBS btw Xiph... :ph34r:

Just got to get this off my chest. Ed and Virtua Pimp were criticising FFXI (based to be fair on their playing experiences) in the MMORPG thread but they just seem so wrong to me. They couldn't have been playing properly or asking for help/ advice enough. Their criticisms seem to be:

1. You can KO too easily and loose too much hp in the process. Apparantly Ed as a WHM got KO'd 3 times in quick succession and gave up the game!

2. Levelling (for Virtua Pimp) between 16 and 17 took weeks (weeks??????). He couldn't have been in Valkurm then or in a PT.

3. Players should have access to Chocobos much earlier in the game

God that annoys me. I've had some difficult times in the game but can you imagine playing it if levelling was easier? Its a game of risk and reward and no risk would make any reward under valued. I really struggled as a Thief between levels 13 and 15 but thats made the good periods since all the more appreciated. Often the darkest hour is just before dawn!

And what about waiting for a raise when you KO - didnt they think of that? Or getting Instant Warp or a raise scroll or just attacking EPs or just levelling in certain areas or equipping the best or most apt armour and weapons. Bloody hell its not that difficult.

Once you get to level 18 and a SJ the game just opens up massively and both of them I think gave up before that. Levelling my sub job was great fun and my monk (my SJ) has only KO'd once to level 15 - My Thief (my first job) on the other hand has probably KO'd 70 times!

I realise in the early levels playing as aWHM is hard but he could have partied more (WHM's are attracted to parties whilst thieves like me are far less appealing until they get sneak at lvl 15). Alternatively he could have levelled another job and carried on with WHM when he got his SJ.

And Chocobos are available at just the right time. Can you imagine being able to go anywhere as a noobie.

There said that and feel better for it.

Tried about 20 times but had no luck gettign a character on Garuda, I think Im on Midsomething atm.

If anyone could send me a worldpass that would be tops :)

Jaul - Lv 1 WHM !

Where the hell is Jaul? Haven't seen him yet but I think he's got a worldpass?

Just got to get this off my chest. Ed and Virtua Pimp were criticising FFXI (based to be fair on their playing experiences) in the MMORPG thread but they just seem so wrong to me. They couldn't have been playing properly or asking for help/ advice enough. Their criticisms seem to be:

Ed was very rude and childish when in FFXi. Maybe that's just me thinking that though. The game didn't suit him but the critiscms were purely based on there misunderstanding of the game requitrments and mechanics.

I also have a friend who used to play, he could be arsed with all that "gay" crafting and "shit". He was looking for a game that rewards you more highly for winning fights and battles - there ar emany games out there for him and he doesn't criticise the FFXI mechanics rathe rhe knows they are not for him.

I do sometimes wonder if the game would be possible without an online set of guides... you couldn't work out, how to complete the Samurai Quest - it is too obtuse, maybe this is a problem mor eof translation though - many subtle hints may be lost.

I do sometimes wonder if the game would be possible without an online set of guides

I was thinking about this too. Some of the quests require very specific, rare drops which I'd imagine would be nearly impossible to 'discover' in normal play.

I wonder if Square provided some basic guides and things to get things started before the fansites started to appear.

Where the hell is Jaul? Haven't seen him yet but I think he's got a worldpass?

Sorry chaps, I had to go out last night (although I did get to see Van Helsing which was fun) and decided an early night would prolly do me some good.

I've got the Worldpass now (Huuuuge thanks) so will most likely be on most of Saturday.

About the solving of obscure quests, I know several people who did 'firsts' in Everquest (myself included), remember there are a load of players out there all putting thier heads together on boards helping each other out.

Of course things were helped a lot when NPCs started handing back incorrect items , originally they just ate the item you traded with them if they didnt know what to do with it! (/em waves rare item goodbye)

With the volumes of players these days its not hard for a quest to fall in to place no matterhow obscure, especially with sites like Allakhazams and lucy.fnord.net cataloging every item that drops rare or not.

Disclaimer: I know feck all about FFXi quests yet so they could be totally different.

Ahh the good old spoiler free days were the greatest.

Want..to..go..home..from ..work...NOW