rllmuk
xiphoid

FFXI

A Blue Mage would be different from a BST, in that it would have a chance of learning (particular) enemy's special attack if it was done on them, and then wouldn't need MP. I'd see them having def up bonuses and maybe mob info skills (check special attack or something). I bet Blue Mage would be a shoe-in if they do new jobs, as it's been in so many FF games. Then you could have 'Engineer' - main weapon guns, and enhanced crafting maybe as skills?

Anyway, I don't think they'll add new jobs - if you think about it they have to make sure all new jobs and skills integrate into all mobs/areas that exist - a tricky task. I reckon Conflict will be the big shizz - with loads of modes of PvP.

A Blue Mage would be different from a BST, in that it would have a chance of learning (particular) enemy's special attack if it was done on them, and then wouldn't need MP. I'd see them having def up bonuses and maybe mob info skills (check special attack or something).

Yeah, some people have been mentioning something similar. Maybe an ability to check the mob for their level, current hp/mp or their weaknesses. But a lot of that stuff (barring current hp) wiuld be common knowledge among higer level players anyway.

That doesn't sound liek a full job class, but what might an idea - is a blue mage ability to learn or aquire as a BST. You're level 60 odd and can do a quest that will lead to a second 2 hour ability - essentially bolstering your given job choice... there could seperate aquirable abilities for each job class?

Ok I ran the benchmark program, and it was pretty jerky. It WAS bearable mind, but I think if there's ever a lot going on on screen then I'm going to be missing out. I listed my system specs here, so could you guys let me know what upgrade will make the most significant difference when running FFXI, please?

Cheers all! ;)

Was it jerky in Hi res or Low res? I have a 2.6 P4 with 512 Mb and FX5200 and it ran slightly jerky in hi res... in game however it's a dream in Hi res once the weather effects are turned off.

Was it jerky in Hi res or Low res? I have a 2.6 P4 with 512 Mb and FX5200 and it ran slightly jerky in hi res... in game however it's a dream in Hi res once the weather effects are turned off.

Jerky in both, obviously far more so in Hi res. It ran alright in Lo res, but what I would really like is a smooth frame rate, well that's what I'm aiming for at least. I was thinking of maybe upgrading my ram, because apparently that's cheap and easy to do , I don't know how much that would help though..

Well like I say, the benchmark really does push your PC - I've yet to have any ingame. Your best bet is to find someone with a similar spec to your self.

Maybe ask on ffxi vault, ntsc-uk or gamefaqs. Or any other ffxi board. On the fron page of this thread Xiphoid gave links to a few sites.

How good is my day :(

Arrived at work this morning and sitting on my desk was a big box. Covered in USPS stickers, all the way from America.

And inside, a gorgeous shiny white box. Covered in enticing shots of a foreign land. My copy of FFXI has arrived!!!

I'm off tomorrow, so assuming I can get it all working (ps2 version) I'll post and hopefully meet up with some of yopu folk ;)

And I go broadband today. yay.

hi, long time lurker..

My copy of FFXI arrived today too, and I managed to get it all setup within about 2 hours...

only I've landed myself in the monthly server maintenance and I can't register a new account.

typical. ;);

Did a 'world' search earlier on and there were just short of 3000 players in game on Garuda at that time. Is that about the usual number or high/ low? There were 90 odd just in Windhurst Woods.

I think that thats a healthy population, don't know about you. If 3000 were on I'd guess that the server would have at least 10 times that number of playable characters. Does anyone know the approximate player count per server on average?

30 more minuts til i finish downloading updates cant wait to try this game out i have put of buying it for so long since i feard it would consume to much time but easter is upon us and i dont have shit to do this is gonna be sweet, i hope

Did a 'world' search earlier on and there were just short of 3000 players in game on Garuda at that time. Is that about the usual number or high/ low? There were 90 odd just in Windhurst Woods.

I think that thats a healthy population, don't know about you. If 3000 were on I'd guess that the server would have at least 10 times that number of playable characters. Does anyone know the approximate player count per server on average?

i've never felt the need to check... why the interest, if you don't mind me asking

Sorry for being a little OT but having read one of the other threads on this and the ntsc-uk review I'd be interested in giving it a go (well either this or SWG), just wondered whether my machine would manage it :unsure:

My basic specs are:

p4 3.00ghz

160gig hd

radeon 9600 pro

I gig ram

edit- also if my specs are up to scratch where can it be picked up?

ah forgot to ask, what's the monthly charge like?

$13 but first month free. Quite honestly though this game is saving me afortune because I'm not buying anything else; I don't want to play anything else.

$13 but first month free. Quite honestly though this game is saving me afortune because I'm not buying anything else; I don't want to play anything else.

Ditto. The only expense i've been considering is whether to buy a new Content ID specifically to create a Tautaru Mage, as I hear any other race won't ever be able to cast spells/summons at their full potential.

Ditto.  The only expense i've been considering is whether to buy a new Content ID specifically to create a Tautaru Mage, as I hear any other race won't ever be able to cast spells/summons at their full potential.

Go on splash out an extra dollar! Go on! (er... it is just a dollar right?)

Sorry for being a little OT but having read one of the other threads on this and the ntsc-uk review I'd be interested in giving it a go (well either this or SWG), just wondered whether my machine would manage it 

My basic specs are:

p4 3.00ghz

160gig hd

radeon 9600 pro

I gig ram

edit- also if my specs are up to scratch where can it be picked up?

Pfft, show off... thats more than enough... you'll be running everything on high. Best place to try in London is maybe HMV, they had afew import copies recently. I personally got mine from importmadness.

arrrggghhhh HELP! :):huh:;)

I was up 'til 1am trying to get this working on my PS2!

I've set up the network settings (routed through a speedtouch ethernet router/modem) but when I connect for network authentication I get an error - error code POL-1557 (DNAS error - 880) !

Any ideas? Maybe the network settings? I've set it up for an ethernet router but not input things like IP addresses which I've left to be determined by the system?

I'm getting to be depressed big time :(

Go on splash out an extra dollar! Go on! (er... it is just a dollar right?)

I know it's not much, I just don't relish having to build up my combat and synthing skills all over again.

Though being able to redo the quests and missions is appealing.

Ditto. The only expense i've been considering is whether to buy a new Content ID specifically to create a Tautaru Mage, as I hear any other race won't ever be able to cast spells/summons at their full potential.

I had no problems as a Hume BLM. Just keep stocked up with INT+ gear and Apple Pie and you'll be fine.

arrrggghhhh HELP! :):huh:;)

I've set up the network settings (routed through a speedtouch ethernet router/modem) but when I connect for network authentication I get an error - error code POL-1557 (DNAS error - 880) !

Any ideas? Maybe the network settings? I've set it up for an ethernet router but not input things like IP addresses which I've left to be determined by the system?

I'm getting to be depressed big time :(

I think I have the same router as you but I have never connected my PS2 to it. Got it from BT though who have apparently got special router settings for the PS2 connection. If you got yours from BT (unlikely I guess) they would give you top notch technical support.

arrrggghhhh HELP!  :)  :huh:  ;)

I'm getting to be depressed big time  :(

I guess this is not when you wanted to hear:

PS2 hardware incompatibility: It is rumored that older model PS2's with an old chipset receive DNAS error code 880 or 881. Only a Sony technician can fix this problem. If you receive this error, call SCEA Consumer Services at 1-866-466-5333, or 1-800-345-7669 between the hours of 6:00am - 7:00pm (Pacific Standard Time)

Are you using a modded or PAL PS2?

Last few days have been a bit of a mare, get into parties all the time but they soon fall apart or spend ages looking for a WHM, thought I'd be 18 by now but I'm still lev 16. Decided that I shall try the Chocobo quest instead so I will try and run to Jeuno tonight, if I can find the damn place!