IGNORED

Sony sees 10 year life for PS2

CouldBeWorse

You know, last week (15-21st), the PSone sold 367 in Japan and that was released just about 10yrs ago.

The Xbox sold 718 in that same week. Not that long ago and the PSone was way out-selling the Xbox in Japan.

10yrs means another 5 or so years and if Sony nail a decent PS2 mark II model, there's no reason why it can't keep selling nicely.

Can only be a good thing in my opinion.

I've already got about 7 or 8 consoles around the house. And I don't fancy buying any more in the near future unless they're £50 or under. Longer lifespan should mean the time to push the hardwre further, make better games, and not have to worry about next-gen stuff for a while.

If you're going to have to upgrade every couple of years, you might as well buy a PC...*HUGE WINKIE SMILIE*

Where are the have all the decent new PSone games been then for the last few years? :)

I should think the target market of the PSOne have been quite happy with Hugo the troll.

Want something more complex/involving/grown up? get a PS2, the thinking seems to be.

Some systems have been in existence for years. The Neo-Geo started life in 1989 didn't it? Supporters of that system didn't seem to have a problem with it being hopelessly obsolete did they?

This makes sense.

The PSOne is what, 10 years old now (assuming we work with the Japanese release date) and whilst there aren't any earth shattering games being developed for it anymore, it still has enjoyable games/ports.

I'd be quite interested to see what sort of games might come out for the PS2/Two with the assistance of the performance analyzer.

I don't get this. From reading this thread, are some of you actually against a longer lifespan for the console? You actually want something you bought to have a 5 year lifespan rather than a 10 year lifespan? Where's the sense in that? Personally I'd like to see the Xbox, GC and PS2 all going strong come 2010 as I don't fancy the financial outlay for another three consoles any time soon.

I don't get this. From reading this thread, are some of you actually against a longer lifespan for the console? You actually want something you bought to have a 5 year lifespan rather than a 10 year lifespan? Where's the sense in that? Personally I'd like to see the Xbox, GC and PS2 all going strong come 2010 as I don't fancy the financial outlay for another three consoles any time soon.

the ten year lifespan is a bit misleading though isn't it. sure they'll support PS2 for ten years just as they have PSone but PS3 will come out 2006 so i doubt there will be many people who actually get ten years life out of their PS2.

the ten year lifespan is a bit misleading though isn't it. sure they'll support PS2 for ten years just as they have PSone but PS3 will come out 2006 so i doubt there will be many people who actually get ten years life out of their PS2.

Yeah, I know, but wouldn't it be nice if they held back a bit. I for one would love dev teams to be really pushing the envelope with the thing 10 years down the line because (apart from PC's) they're is nothing better to work on and they've had sufficient time to learn the ins and outs of the machine.

Yeah, I know, but wouldn't it be nice if they held back a bit. I for one would love dev teams to be really pushing the envelope with the thing 10 years down the line because (apart from PC's) they're is nothing better to work on and they've had sufficient time to learn the ins and outs of the machine.

It would be nice, yes, but you know that'll never happen. If consoles did have a 10 year life span (I mean a proper 10 years, not just being supported while the next gen model is out) then think of how amazed we'll be when the next gen tech demos come out. Am I the only one who's not completely blown away by the XNA tech demos? Sure they're nice, but there's not much difference graphically. The lifespan of the xbox seems to have been cut criminally short.

It would be nice, yes, but you know that'll never happen. If consoles did have a 10 year life span (I mean a proper 10 years, not just being supported while the next gen model is out) then think of how amazed we'll be when the next gen tech demos come out. Am I the only one who's not completely blown away by the XNA tech demos? Sure they're nice, but there's not much difference graphically. The lifespan of the xbox seems to have been cut criminally short.

Exactly!

if xbox2 does launch in 2005 then it will be too early. Sony will eat them for breakfast.

True. Probably.

Which begs the question, when is the right time to launch against the Playstation 3?

If you launch before, then the Sony Hype Wagon kicks in and people hold off for the mythical power of the PS3 (see File: Dreamcast for more info).

If you lanch after, then everyone already has a PS3 and only the select few will pick up a second machine to play games on (see File: Xbox and Gamecube).

So, when?

True. Probably.

Which begs the question, when is the right time to launch against the Playstation 3?

If you launch before, then the Sony Hype Wagon kicks in and people hold off for the mythical power of the PS3 (see File: Dreamcast for more info).

If you lanch after, then everyone already has a PS3 and only the select few will pick up a second machine to play games on (see File: Xbox and Gamecube).

So, when?

The same time?

Never?

That's about it. :)

Won't the PS2've had a 6-year lifespan, at the very least, if the PS3 launches in 2006? Combined with EA's open declaration that they're going to stay with the platform (after seeing how well their few PS releases did post-PS2, and realising that they could potentially have a monopoly on the platform while everyone else is rushing off to PS3), I really expect at lest 8 years of reasonable PS2 action.

Microsoft should do everything they can to promote and strengthen the current xbox. to be honest, i don't know and if i did i'd be in a better job! but really that's all they can do. play it one day at a time but announcing anything too soon would damage their current standing i reckon, xbox is still pretty new.

I'd say both Nintendo and Microsoft have about a month-long window on either side, maximum. Any sooner and they risk annoying their customer base who might not appreciate seeing a Sony machine having a considerably longer lifespan than the (more powerful) machines that came after it, and later and they're just handing sales to Sony.

The alternative to matching Sony's release date is releasing much earlier and hoping to build up a headstart, or releasing much later and hope to sell based on technical superiority. Both of those would be huge gambles, and I'd say that both are likely to leave Sony dominant again (although whether there's any reasonable scenario at all that doesn't leave Sony dominant is arguable).

The same time and it'll get swallowed up in the PS3 mania that will no doubt happen.

Maybe. But if MS/Nintendo hype the new machines enough, they could realistically expect to ship a good few on the strength of the machines themselves, and a few more if Sony can't meet the demand for new PS3s near launch. Whether that happens or not though, the PS3 launch is almost certainly going to take place accompanied by screaming hype. I don't think either MS or Nintendo can afford to let that hype go unchallenged, and the only real way to challenge it is to launch alongside the PS3 and shout their own slogans as loudly as they can.

Fuck's sake. 10 years? PS2 lasts about 2 years, then it bloody breaks. Unless Sony can make the machine to actually last, I might just ignore it later.

Didn't the guy behind Res 4 reveal on Japanese radio that Sony intentionally make the PS2 really cheaply? It's in the new Edge, somewhere.

Didn't the guy behind Res 4 reveal on Japanese radio that Sony intentionally make the PS2 really cheaply? It's in the new Edge, somewhere.

He's hardly what you'd call an authority on the engineering process behind the PS2 though, is he?

The "PS2 breaks after X amount of time" thing has been going around for quite some time, and it does seem to have more problems than the other 2 consoles. However, there's nothing to indicate that its problems are drastically worse, and there is good indirect evidence that they aren't: the PS2's tie ratio is higher than either the GC's or the Xbox's - pretty much what you'd expect from a console that was released a bit earlier, but definitely not what you'd expect from a console that breaks down (much) more often.

I'd say both Nintendo and Microsoft have about a month-long window on either side, maximum. Any sooner and they risk annoying their customer base who might not appreciate seeing a Sony machine having a considerably longer lifespan than the (more powerful) machines that came after it, and later and they're just handing sales to Sony.

The alternative to matching Sony's release date is releasing much earlier and hoping to build up a headstart, or releasing much later and hope to sell based on technical superiority. Both of those would be huge gambles, and I'd say that both are likely to leave Sony dominant again (although whether there's any reasonable scenario at all that doesn't leave Sony dominant is arguable).

I'd go for launch a couple of weeks after PS3, just after the initial batch of PS3 have sold out and no new shipments are imminent. Quick win!

My launch machine has worked fine for over 3 years.

So has mine. I appreciate that a percentage of machines will fail but the amout of "My PS2/XBOX has broken" threads you get on the Internet is insane.

<OT>

Is there a game shop employee who can give us some figures of returned genuinely broken machines?

</OT>

i'm sure they did make it as cheaply as possible but that doesn't mean they built them to deliberately break. they don't make any profit (not for a while anyway) on the hardware they make profit on software, so someone owning two PS2's cos the first one broke is still only buying the same amount of games. Sony isn't benefiting there. if the machine breaks within it's warranty they'd have to fix or replace it free of charge and the amount they make on repairs wouldn't be enough to cover costs and labour to any worthy degree.

besides if that theory was true surely everyone's PS2 would have broken by now, which clearly isn't the case?

So has mine. I appreciate that a percentage of machines will fail but the amout of "My PS2/XBOX has broken" threads you get on the Internet is insane.

<OT>

Is there a game shop employee who can give us some figures of returned genuinely broken machines?

</OT>

What you have to remember though, is that there are far more PS2s out there to break, so you're obviously going to see lots of them returned in relation to how many of the other consoles you see returned.

Also - and forgive the generalisation here, but - I'd imagine most PS2 owners (dare I say your 'average' owner) might not take as much care over their hardware than your average slightly-more-enthused-and-considerate GC or Xbox owner. Uergh.. now I feel all dirty for making such a generalising statement. <_<

But still, stuff to consider. None of my consoles ever break down anyway... 'cept for the Dreamcast. Once. :)

None of my consoles ever break down anyway... 'cept for the Dreamcast. Once. :)

didn't you get a disc error on your xbox recently?

Dreamcast and xbox are the only consoles i've had this gen that have gone wrong. they're still both working but they fuck up a worrying amount, especially xbox with it's well documented problem over thompson drives.

You think that's the machine buggered up? :)

I figured it was a dirty disc (as it said)... <_<

dude i've had the dirty disc error on games that have just been freshly unwrapped and loaded with the utmost care. it's a bloody nightmare when it starts happening but strangely it's calmed down of late <_<

dude i've had the dirty disc error on games that have just been freshly unwrapped and loaded with the utmost care. it's a bloody nightmare when it starts happening but strangely it's calmed down of late :)

Well it worked eventually, if it isn't a faulty batch or something it may well be the disc drive, I guess.

That'd be the first one, at any rate.