IGNORED

April fools in magazines

dumpster

I remember the GB Mario Kart one too (& I fell for it!). Looked good and all.

I did fall for a screen mocked up in Amiga Format for an Elite type game that allowed you to land on planets etc. which 'utilised special blitter programming to increase the number of polygons'. Damn, I wanted that game.

I remember the GB Mario Kart one too (& I fell for it!). Looked good and all.

I did fall for a screen mocked up in Amiga Format for an Elite type game that allowed you to land on planets etc. which 'utilised special blitter programming to increase the number of polygons'. Damn, I wanted that game.

I remember that - but I was thought it was in 'The One' magazine - Bullfrog were supposedly developing it (they'd mocked up the screens IIRC) and they'd also developed a sampled phonetic speech system.

There were pictures of a cockpit view of your ship flying low over a (for the time) detailed landscape and one of a large battlermech style robot.

Looked great ;) - much too good obviously.

I remember that - but I was thought it was in 'The One' magazine - Bullfrog were supposedly developing it (they'd mocked up the screens IIRC) and they'd also developed a sampled phonetic speech system.

There were pictures of a cockpit view of your ship flying low over a (for the time) detailed landscape and one of a large battlermech style robot.

Looked great ;) - much too good obviously.

You could well be right.

April fools nowadays just aren't the same now the visuals can't really be improved that much more.

I don't think I've fallen for a gaming April fool since Zzap did that Mindsmear one. I really wanted to believe. A mocked up screen by Bob Stevenson sealed the deal too.

What was the Mindsmear? I remember C&VG doing an AF decades ago, a 'thought controller' which was basically a circuit board with a couple of wires trailing that had joystick suckerpads at the other end that you were supposed to stick to your temples. If I recall rightly, loads of people wrote in/phoned up about it, including a few developers (Domark spring to mind...)

I thought that the XBOX2 developers kits that use Apple chips could have been one (Edge mag)

Anyone seen any April Fools jokes in the mags this year?

One of my lecturers said that windows is developed on macs then cross compiled onto pcs. Dunno if this is true.

That mortal kombat blood code: I rented out mortal kombat just to try that code with the penny, took a long time before i relised.

That Edge Xbox2/Mac thing is genuine though, isn't it? Any real April Fools in this months Edge?

It is probably genuine, it was reported else where in late Feb/early March, and Microsoft did take delivery last year of quite a lot of G5s (which weren't delivered to their mac business unit).

It is probably genuine, it was reported else where in late Feb/early March, and Microsoft did take delivery last year of quite a lot of G5s (which weren't delivered to their mac business unit).

Thats what would make it even better, if other magazines were caught printing edge news articles as there own.

Boring story:

Did you know the makers of wine lists books etc often put a fake entry in to catch out anyone who tries to nick their work.