IGNORED

April fools in magazines

dumpster

As per title:

I thought that the XBOX2 developers kits that use Apple chips could have been one (Edge mag)

Anyone seen any April Fools jokes in the mags this year?

That was in GamesTM too.

EGM did the lord of the rings kart racing thing a few weeks back.

Think i found one in the Dutch PC-Zone,

Some rant about how home-gaming in europe is going to be banned by 2007. According to the article we'll only be allowed to play in certain game-rooms if you have a special 18+ card.

Sounds like a coffe-shop/lan-party ;)

Think i found one in the Dutch PC-Zone,

Some rant about how home-gaming in europe is going to be banned by 2007. According to the article we'll only be allowed to play in certain game-rooms if you have a special 18+ card.

Sounds like a coffe-shop/lan-party ;)

It's still banned in Greece, isn't it? Was last I heard.

There was one years ago in a sega magazine.I'm pretty sure the game was Daytona but i'm not entirely positive.It could have been virtua racing.

Anyway, When driving round one the tracks you could come accross a large piece of ground just off the road, There was nothing there it was just like a dirt track.The magazine said that you had to drive round this track spelling out the word Sega rally woth the car and it would unlock a demo of the game.

I think i spent hours trying this until i realised that the japanese guy who told the magazine this amazing secret was actually the words april fools jumbled up.

I bought NMS years ago on the strength of the Mortak Kombat gore code. It was only after buying it and getting it home that I read the text.

You have to fool your snes into thinking it is playing the first, heavier batch of cartridges by sellotaping a penny to the top of your game.

Hmmmm........

Wouldn't have bought the mag if I had actually read the cheat in the shop.

Someone went into Game in Blackburn to pre-order one of the sports suits, but I forget what mag that was - the photo had someone on the floor, swimming, with a tv remove stuck on his head.

I bought NMS years ago on the strength of the Mortak Kombat gore code. It was only after buying it and getting it home that I read the text.

You have to fool your snes into thinking it is playing the first, heavier batch of cartridges by sellotaping a penny to the top of your game.

oh come on - that was hilarious! one of my mated tried it for hours - the dick.:ph34r:

Come on. An April fools is getting you to stick a 1p coin onto your Mortal Kombat cartridge and make you try a cheat all day that never works.

Saying that Nintendo will announce big online plans at E3?

I can see them next issue...

"APRIL FOOLS, MWAHAHAHAHA!!! FUNNY!!!1!!"

Come on. An April fools is getting you to stick a 1p coin onto your Mortal Kombat cartridge and make you try a cheat all day that never works.

Saying that Nintendo will announce big online plans at E3?

I can see them next issue...

"APRIL FOOLS, MWAHAHAHAHA!!! FUNNY!!!1!!"

Well I bet it fools a load of people :ph34r:

That was CVG, the werid sports suit thing, CVG did a lot of funny and very clever april fools jokes back in the day.

I can remember when they did a preview of Mario Kart on the GB. I was just a wee lad then and was getting very excited by the prospect of having MK in the palm of my hand :ph34r:

There was one years ago in a sega magazine.I'm pretty sure the game was Daytona but i'm not entirely positive.It could have been virtua racing.

Anyway, When driving round one the tracks you could come accross a large piece of ground just off the road, There was nothing there it was just like a dirt track.The magazine said that you had to drive round this track spelling out the word Sega rally woth the car and it would unlock a demo of the game.

I think i spent hours trying this until i realised that the japanese guy who told the magazine this amazing secret was actually the words april fools jumbled up.

I remember it being Virtua Racing and having to spell out Daytona.

Another one I remember, the Lara Croft Nude Cheat, (dance to the beat of the Spice Girls, and crap like that.) And the story that Mortal Kombat would send a shock down the controller wire if you failed to do a FINISH HIM move.

My fave ones were the tomb raider one, as everyone feel for that, trying to get lara croft nude.

But the one i fell for, in CVG, for fifa 98, if you hit the cross bar 3 times within a game but the game finished 0-0 then you'd unlock sonic, mario crash bandicoot etc as a super team you could play as, me and my whole class fell for this and tried to do it with out luck.

Mean machines did one which was 'write the word DAYTONA on the track in virtua racing to unlock it'. They also did a variation saying type in the word daytona using the controla pad, EG Down =D A= A etc,

I don't think I've fallen for a gaming April fool since Zzap did that Mindsmear one. I really wanted to believe. A mocked up screen by Bob Stevenson sealed the deal too.

The disc drive as a 'slave' processor and so on.

You old fart.

The disc drive as a 'slave' processor and so on.

You old fart.

True, on both counts. That slave processor thing was what really excited me, yet ultimately, was the biggest giveaway to the seasoned eye. Never again. Go on TM, try and catch us out.

I was probably older than a fair few forumites are now, back when I read that 'legendary' April fool. About 16, I think.

I liked the CVG one that would supposedly let you control the spaceship on the Sega Saturn's menus in a hidden game of 'Afterburner 3000AD', with Captain Gillius Thunderhead piloting the refuelling ship. And Admiral Altered Beast giving you mission directives.

I don't recall that particular one but C & VG were responsible for some classics. Namely, the Lara Croft nude cheat, joystick waggling in time with the Spice Girls Wannabe. The Amega Drive. Some virtual reality something or other, 3000 (?). Of course I was too long in the tooth to fall for them but very good all the same.

I didn't fall for these (being a cynical so and so) but still some of these were excellent and some better than others:

Playable Simon Belmont in Turtles arcade game

Ultra Fernando Brothers (the best Mexican import in years!)

Unlockable Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 in Mortal Kombat 3 for PlayStation (do the teleport punch in front of the statue in the background to unlock extra characters as a test bed for Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 including a re-coloured Stryker called Pedro complete with Mexican voice-over)

Ultimate Fighting Universe (mixture of Namco and Sega fighting games, I know someone who traded in their Tekken 2 in anticipation of this. Did he not see the screenshot featuring Pedro from the MK hoax above :-)

Fight against Sheng Long in Street Fighter 2 (timeout both rounds against Bison/Vega without either character taking a hit)

VerCom (a badly faxed advert from Japan to allow you to play link up games where the option didn't exist. i.e. link up two copies of the original Ridge Racer, link up two machines and copies of the original Daytona)

Loads of Mortal Kombat rumours including playable bosses and Reptile and the appearance of Red Robin (another palette swapped ninja)

As mentioned above the various Mortal Kombat Gore code (with 2 pence piece) for SNES, the Virtual Reality suit, the AfterBurner 3000 hidden game on Saturn (brilliantly someone on SegaFans wa asking if this was true only a matter of weeks ago), the Daytona hidden in Virtua Racing Deluxe, the Fifa SuperStars of Gaming one, the various Lara Croft nude cheats.

And loads more. Some of these were plainly incredibly unlikely (featuring things like Mario on all the formats, Sonic, Mario, Crash, Lara Croft etc in Fifa - just think of the copyright nightmare etc) but some were more subtly done like playable Simon Belmont in Turtles as both games are from Konami.