IGNORED

The Passion of the Christ

JPR

Hey there.

"It'd be nice if people simply treated it as a bit of cinema, it's clearly a great story. The trouble is, people don't. "

But I don't it is. It's like the last 30 minutes of a 2 and a half hour movie dragged out to feature length with the help of as much slow motion as possible.

As a stand alone movie I don't think it's a "great story" at all. Because we don't even get a whole story. Just a conclusion. Why do these people hate this man? Why do they want him dead?

It needed more build up. It needed to tell us why we should care about this my for other than the fact he invented the the modern kitchen table as we know it.

As a piece of cinema it is very well made. But as a story I think it failed completely.

Why do Jesus's eyes keep changing colour? Did god cause an earthquake?

That Tear/raindrop from Heaven shot was probably my fave thing in the entire movie.

Despin out.

I heard they are making a prequel starring a donkey, three wise men and a virgin birth. Whatever happened to believable stories in cinema?

The film is pretty good though. The comments about it being a the final third of a film dragged out to feature length have some merit, though I think you'd be struggling to fit a representative retelling of the new testement into anything shorter than a lord of the rings style epic. (No Mel, that wasn't a request.)

As a stand alone movie I don't think it's a "great story" at all. Because we don't even get a whole story. Just a conclusion. Why do these people hate this man? Why do they want him dead?

I'd have thought the information needed to explain the conclusion offered in the movie is pretty much universally known. There's no point in repeating it all again.

I simply have no interest in seeing this film... I know the story (and does the 'fictional' disclaimer come in at the end?) I don't particularly like brutality in films and I'm not religious. SO what is there for me, nothing - and there is nothing there for loads of people I know who have seen it - and they found it brutal and dull. Why they bothered wasting there time, I don't know.

A lot of the anti semetic remarks were directed at the original cut without subtitles - which certainly gave the visual impression of the Jew's baying for his blood. Not that I care either way, christians and jews are as stupid as each other.

Xiphoid, removing the last sentence of that post is probably a good idea.

I don't like any religion, does that make it fairer - or is it the anti religious sentiment you dislike? Basically th edebate over what did or didn't happen 2 thousand years ago, during the events outlined in the film, for me is stupid - i don't think it happened.

My favourite outcome of this film is all the churches that have spent thousands of pounds on cinema tickets for this film, without even viewing it first...

Isn't he on a personal crusade to make us all thing horror movies are ace and acceptable? This is his perfect film for that really... from what I hear

It's based on the Gospels, so first the good news; never again will I have to endure another sermon from some sanctimonious God-botherer on the inherent evils of violent cinema.

He's been nbanging that drum for years... I'm yet to see the overall merit of the exorcist though. It was enjoyable for its duration, it was technically excellent - but thats it.

I heard they are making a prequel starring a donkey, three wise men and a virgin birth. Whatever happened to believable stories in cinema?

Three Men and a Donkey. Danson, Guttenburg & Selleck are just waiting for the call....

There was an opinion section on BBC Newcastle the other day. A guy actually sent in a message saying "What a load of crap. They don't even speak English. I go to the cinema to watch, not read.". The general consensus among my friends was "FUCKING HELL"...

I don't like any religion, does that make it fairer - or is it the anti religious sentiment you dislike?

No, it's not the anti-religious sentiment - it's referring to Jews as stupid. They're a group of people, just like Arabs, or Blacks. Your comment can easily be misunderstood as racism, rather than a comment about religion.

No, it's not the anti-religious sentiment - it's referring to Jews as stupid. They're a group of people, just like Arabs, or Blacks. Your comment can easily be misunderstood as racism, rather than a comment about religion.

was it only jews I called stupid...

no it wasn't... and I believe the religious intent of the statement (having quite clearly linked it now, with all religions, not only christianity) clearly marks it's intentions and i you read it any other way you're quite clearly being obtuse. You're perhaps perdantically correct, I should have said Judaism... but that's it.

was it only jews I called stupid...

no it wasn't... and I believe the religious intent of the statement (having quite clearly linked it now, with all religions, not only christianity) clearly marks it's intentions and i you read it any other way you're quite clearly being obtuse. You're perhaps perdantically correct, I should have said Judaism... but that's it.

Hey man, I'm just trying to save your ass from being crucified... :unsure:

Hey there.

"It'd be nice if people simply treated it as a bit of cinema, it's clearly a great story. The trouble is, people don't. "

But I don't it is. It's like the last 30 minutes of a 2 and a half hour movie dragged out to feature length with the help of as much slow motion as possible.

It needed more build up. It needed to tell us why we should care about this my for other than the fact he invented the the modern kitchen table as we know it.

As a piece of cinema it is very well made. But as a story I think it failed completely.

Why do Jesus's eyes keep changing colour? Did god cause an earthquake?

That Tear/raindrop from Heaven shot was probably my fave thing in the entire movie.

Despin out.

I think this is where the accusations come in of it being a recruitment piece for the church. After all, if you wanna know why Jesus was so villified you can always read the book.

From Salon.com:

" Less violence, more poetry: For believers and nonbelievers alike, the big Catholic movie to see this season is not Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ" but Guillermo del Toro's "Hellboy......Hellboy, like many (if not most) comic-book heroes, is an outcast who has turned his oddities and flaws into a brilliant advantage. But having superpowers doesn't mean you can escape pain; it may, in fact, mean that you're destined to suffer more of it. That's a Catholic idea if ever there was one, but instead of focusing on the brutality of it, del Toro helps us see its beauty. It's the kind of X-ray vision more filmmakers could use."

Take that Mel.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I saw it last night at the girlfriend's insistence.

I was expecting it to be crap, and indeed as a piece of cinema it was.

I thought the acting by the priest guys who wanted Jesus dead attrocious, also that of the cruel roman centurions. Eyebrows up guys - you're evil!!!!!

Also poor dialogue (the bits not stolen from the bible).

The GF was crying at the scourging bit, I though the destruction of Murphy in Robocop was more unsettling.

Came away and forgot all about it.

And don't get me started on Barabbas or the satan androgyne.

Pfft.

I thought that it was a good film, I enjoyed it, yes it can be violent at times but then life is violent on the whole. Some of the film I didn't understand.

(Spoilers - If not seen, read no further)

Such as the strange hairy child and the good vs evil, Devil against Jesus sort of thing, can anyone explain it?.

Well, I saw it last night at the girlfriend's insistence.

I was expecting it to be crap, and indeed as a piece of cinema it was.

I thought the acting by the priest guys who wanted Jesus dead attrocious, also that of the cruel roman centurions. Eyebrows up guys - you're evil!!!!!

Also poor dialogue (the bits not stolen from the bible).

The GF was crying at the scourging bit, I though the destruction of Murphy in Robocop was more unsettling.

Came away and forgot all about it.

And don't get me started on Barabbas or the satan androgyne.

Pfft.

based on the crucifixtion don't you know?

What - the way they shoot his hand off while standing on it?

;)

the whole film is a jesus analogy. Verhoeven says so.

the shotgun rounds to the body and head represent the whipping and the crown of thorns, the removal of the hand is the nailing. There's the resurrection an' all...

Oh, and at the end Robocop walks on water ;)