IGNORED

The Passion of the Christ

JPR

I approached it fairly open minded, I'm not a particularly religious person but I didn't approach with the aim of thinking what a load of rubbish and I didn't but much stock in the accusations of it been anti Semitic. I have to say I thought it was amazing. First on a purely cinematic level it was the look and sound were really moving maybe a bit too much slo mo but apart from that it was a real visual pleasure. The level and depictation of violence really was as high as everyone had said, the scenes on the cross seemed particularly brutal. But I don't think it was out of place or overpowered everything else as it is crucial to the story. Also I was quite surprised to find myself quite moved by the film I had quite a bit of dirt in my eyes, especially in the scenes with Maia Morgenstern as Mary her performance was so powerful and moving.

As for the claims as being anti Semitic I just don't see that at all. Yes it is the Jewish priests that condemn Jesus but there was nothing explicitly saying they were Jewish and it was the Jewish doing this. In fact it is made clear that it isn't every Jewish priest judging Jesus and there where priests that thought the proceedings where a travesty. I don't know if it is just how I view things but I took the view from the scenes with the Jewish priests that it wasn't there religion acting to judge Jesus but there own prejudices, that it is man that carries out cruel acts and uses what ever he can to justify them. Also it is clearly shown that the man who helps Jesus carry the cross is a Jew, plus it shows how something develops between them the man helps and defends Jesus. Also what I thought was key was a scene showing Jesus giving a sermon on how we must love those that are our enemies and who seek to hurt us.

I'm probably going to see it tomorrow. I can't wait.

As for anti-Semitism, surely, to be faithful to the Bible, it would have to be, right? I mean, it was the Jews who shouted "Crucify him! Crucify Him!", right?

No, that was the chorus line in Jesus Christ Superstar...

Saw it yesterday and "Jesus Christ!" if it isn't just about the most violent film I've ever seen.

It essentially turns into an hour and a half of watching Jesus get tortured.

Doesn't work as a recruitment film in the slightest (I was unaware that the bible was filled with quite so much pure fantasy, strange as that may sound).

If you fancy leaving a cinema feeling as if you've been hit around the head with a hammer and had your insides replaced with jellyfish - I can't recommend it enough.

If you prefer your films to be entertaining, rather than a test of you endurance, avoid.

I think it's a very good film to watch. It played on my mind for some days, simply because of how violent and cruel it is. Even if you don't believe in religion, this sort of punishment did exist, and it just makes you realise how pathetic humans can be.

It's not exactly a feel good movie, and you'll leave the cinema feeling a bit shit really.

I just got back from the cinema.

It. Was. Amazing. Absolutely, heart-stoppingly intense, with some of the most flinch-inducing moments in recent cinema. Particularly bad was where the whip stuck into Jesus' side and ripped the chunks of flesh out. Amazingly beautifully shot and directed, aswell.

Jim Cavaziel gives a stellar performance, and shows frighteningly convincing pain, adding to an already uncomfortable experience. Now, I'm Catholic, so maybe it had a particular resonance with me, but I absolutely recommend this film to all of you.

Go see it.

Particularly bad was where the whip stuck into Jesus' side and ripped the chunks of flesh out. Amazingly beautifully shot and directed, aswell.

Thats the bit that really got me I still feel a bit queezy thinking about it.

The reason I put possible spoilers is because I can guarantee there will be some prat come in and complain that I hadn't pointed it out.