IGNORED

Fight Club

marlonharewood

The stupid thing about Fight Club's ending is that blowing up the headquarters of a credit card company will not reset everyone's credit, or indeed have any effect at all. They will still receive their statements the next month as if nothing had happened. There are such a thing as off-site backups and fireproof safes.

In the book they blow it up so that it would destroy a museum. Something like that anyway, something about destroying history and starting fresh. Then Jack actually dies and talks to god.

In the book they blow it up so that it would destroy a museum. Something like that anyway, something about destroying history and starting fresh. Then Jack actually dies and talks to god.

Really? I don't remember that from the book's ending. I thought Jack was caught and stuck in a mental hospital, only to find Project Mayhem people have infiltrated that as well.

Really? I don't remember that from the book's ending. I thought Jack was caught and stuck in a mental hospital, only to find Project Mayhem people have infiltrated that as well.

It's been about 6 years since I read the book, but that's definitely not how it ends. It sounds vaguely familiar though, it probably happens at some point in it.

I totally can't remember that. I just remember it ending with him meeting god, then saying something like "You can't teach God anything". The mental institution thing sounds a bit like the bit where he's arrested in the film.

No, in the book the bombs don't go off, and Jack's committed to a mental hospital. The meeting God bit sounds either like another Pahlaniuk book, or a lovely dream you had.

I'm not saying I'm right, just that it's been a long time. I think I might have missed the last chapter because it was too awful to keep going, or something.

Still, that's further than I got with Survivor. I stopped reading that after about five pages.

I'm right about blowing up the museum though, right? That's the point I was making anyway, that their plan isn't actually as simple as just blowing up a credit card building, and they're too stupid to do it anyway because the bombs are duds.

I don't agree with that. It's a relatively simple film that its fans defend by attributing ever increasing levels of irony to.

I dunno, man. I'd say I was a fan, and that's only because these dudes are smacking fuck outta eachother to phat music, and there's one shot of bullet-time shagging. Any of its pretenses I just observe and laugh at. It sort of adds to the griminess of it all.

Why can I only appreciate movies on a stylistic level? ;)

I dunno, man. I'd say I was a fan, and that's only because these dudes are smacking fuck outta eachother to phat music, and there's one shot of bullet-time shagging. Any of its pretenses I just observe and laugh at. It sort of adds to the griminess of it all.

Why can I only appreciate movies on a stylistic level? ;)

Cause you're a normal person, unlike these gloomy moaners.