IGNORED

Xbox Live - No Communicator?

Armitage_Shanks

As I now have Broadband I am about to get XBox live but only as a trial package to start off with.

I beleive Links 2004 comes with a 2 month trial offer but does not include the communicator but is this a problem? Is it ok to play without a communicator, not just Links but other games too?

I suppose my main question is about etiquette. Is it ok to not communicate, or will this mean a lonely trial period?

It's OK. A lot of people play Top Spin, etc without a headset cos they're doing exactly what you're planning on doing.

Links does come with the two month trial, yeah. Might as well give it a go! When the trial ends you can then buy the starter kit for £30 and have a headset and 12 months for cheaper than letting the two months expire and then carrying on with 12 months from that.

If that made sense?

Yes it's OK to play without a headset, ie you can. But don't be totally suprised if you do occasionally get kicked from games that need co-operation especially by people you don't know.

With the headset the Live experience is 10 times the fun, so don't be put off :(

I'd agree - headsets make it a lot more sociable, obviously. But unless it's a game which requires a lot of communication (Rainbow 6, from what I've heard about it) then you'll be fine without. I never had any problems on PGR2, aside from not being able to hear what was being said very clearly.

I assume cos he wants to try it out first, rather than spend £20 / £40 (headset / full package) on something he doesn't want.

The only problem with that is, that he won't get to fully experience how good Live can be if he hasn't got a headset. Catch 22.

I've tried playing games without a headset a few times before due to being completely lazy and not bothering to talk, but you can hear everyone else having so much of a laugh you have to use the heasdset and join in.

It's good to talk :unsure:

I assume cos he wants to try it out first, rather than spend £20 / £40 (headset / full package) on something he doesn't want.

More games are coming out that aren't Live but use the Communicator anyway. They use it for speech recognition to issue commands (in a kind of SOCOM way). SWAT from Argonaut is gonna use it, LMA Manager 2004 uses it (to shout commands at your team! GET FORWAAARD!!). So it's not a wasted purchase even if you don't keep Live.

Kicking people off cos they don't use communicator is not on.

What happens if they don't speak English or are deaf ?

I never tried it as I know I wouldn't hear the words, that clearly.

Well, much as I sympathise with those hard of hearing, Live just isn't catered towards them at all. Rainbow Six, Splinter Cell, etc. all require communication to be able to succeed. If the bloke on your team in SC didn't have a headset, you'd be incredibly bored. (If you're a merc, anyway :) )