IGNORED

How Good Are You...

kerraig UK

I'm getting really into beat games lately. I've got an addiction to Gitaroo man, amplitude, frequency and stepmania going on. thing is, I think i'm a bit shit at em really. I keep trying and trying but have hit a reaction time ceiling that I cant seem to get passed. Can you tell me how good you are at em so I can work out my skill level in relation to the average geek.

Stepmania - level 7 songs I can sight read, can only do 8 feet if I really know the song. Cant sight read 8 feet at all

Frequency - just completed it on normal after MUCH headaches. Expert seems like a world beyond what my digits are capable of. Average scores of about 1200 a song

Amplitude - Ditto

Gitaroo Man - Completed it on normal and up to the skeletons on hard. Fahgedaboudit.

I completed Frequency on normal and hard, but getting more than 25% through expert was utterly beyond me. Nailed Gitaroo Man on normal quite easily, but the next level was a world of hurt.

Samba De Amigo turned up on Saturday, and I'll have the maracas by the weekend, so I'll let you know :lol:

Guest Two Heavens

The only "rhythm action" game I was ever any good at was Samba. I think the best I ever managed (just before an exam, strangely enough), was 100%/100%/100%/98% on hard. Unfortunately a wire deep inside one of the maraccas broke, and I haven't figured out a way of fixing it yet. My poor little heart broke when that happened. :lol:

I love Gitaroo Man, but clocking Master Mode isn't really that important. I'm stuck on the shark, strangely enough. I play it more as a pick me up than anything else these days.

I've always sucked at Frequency, my poor spazzy hands just can't cope. I blame it on me being left handed. Or something.

DDR I'm okay at. Although that's okay in the normal human sense rather than the crazy freaks who seem to have been born to wobble their feet in strange patterns.

Doesn't "Beamani" refer to the konami only stuff... more Rhythm action you are talking about isn't it.

Anyway, not that good, but it's a genre I love -

Dancing Stage xxxxx (don't have Stepmania), can sight read up to a 6 step song, but it's way ropey, better at 4 and 5 steps. i like to go fast, but the 16th notes bugger me up

Gitaroo Man: Am trying to finish it with all A ranks, I have a B on two stages though, the last one and one of the other. Haven't done the 2nd stage yet in Master mode

Amplitude: Can do it on normal, but the later songs are really really hard, can get some 4 bar scores (but only on songs I really like), can get so far on the level above normal, but only unlocked the 3rd area I think, really rubbish at the hardest level

Frequency: Found Nomal on this a lot easier that Amplitude, but don't like the songs as much so can't be bothered to try it on harder levels.

Guitar Freaks/Guitar Freaks 2: Love this game, but I find it insanely difficult - perhaps because I'm using a regular controller instead of a guitar

Samba De Amigo: Can scrape through hard songs with the maraccas, but never found them accurate enough to do the challenges with.

Eye Toy: Groove (anyone else playing this) : can do songs in the hardest mode - although can't manage A ranks on this

Anyone got Pop 'N music and one of the controllers, that looks like a lot of fun ?

Bemani is Konami's official brand name for it's dancing games (as it proudly states at the start of Danceing Stage Unleashed)

I'm was pretty good at Samba, could easily pass Hard mode with a score between 98%-100% but I'm probably a bit rusty now (have to dig out the old maracas again :D )!

Just got Dancing Stage Unleashed on Saturday but currently really suck at it (never thought I was that bad on the arcade machines - but that was probably the beer affecting my judgement :( ). Hopefully will be passable at it in a few weeks...

Ok then,

DDR: Not that good but love it. Can do 5 step songs perfect but after that it becomes a world of confusion and luck.

Samba: The one Im really good at. Ive done all the challenges apart from the very last one.

Beatmania: I can just about finish the game on normal dependant on which songs I choose. I can only 100% some of the songs.

REZ: Perfect Ending on that "all the levels together" thing. 100% shotdown, items on levels 1,2 and 3.

Space Channel 5: 100%

i went to eastbourne on the weekend and to the pier. I saw the ddr machine and just had to have a go.

except there were too slags on it, well just standing on it. I walked up and got on it, and one of them said "can i have your last go". I said "hmm we will see".

Anyway did a couple of songs 5 foot, passed pretty easily. I was so out of breath i let one of the slags have my last go..

I've got Amplitute, Frequency, Gitroo man, Donkey Konga and pop n music 9.

Of all of them nothing is more painful that pop n music 9.

Amplitute and frequency are relatively easy on normal mode and donkey konga is piss easy up until the hard levels, when it takes a jump from really easy to near impossible.

D

I once completed Jungle Book Dance thingy on the PS2 on the "mayhem" (or what ever it was) setting. :(

My kids came home and called the paramedics. They thought I'd had another fit. *ahem*

Mat/Stage based I really enjoy, but things like SC5 (DC) and Pop Idol (GBA) bore me. Plus, I can never get the timing right with a controller.

I can do a fair few expert tracks on DDR and am pretty decent at other rhythm action games. I recently played Samba and Donkey Konga for the first time and could get through the more difficukt tracks on max difficulty just.

I completed Mad Maestro in one sitting a week ago the day it arrived (from lordcookie). It took 2 hours on 'normal' not 'easy' (never played 'easy'). I didn't think that was bad, but I haven't really played it since. I love it though - particularly when the marriage if Figaro kicked in gatecrashing on another track! :(

I completed Mad Maestro in one sitting a week ago the day it arrived (from lordcookie). It took 2 hours on 'normal' not 'easy' (never played 'easy'). I didn't think that was bad, but I haven't really played it since. I love it though - particularly when the marriage if Figaro kicked in gatecrashing on another track! :(

The concept of Mad Maestro was quite good, but I found that the sensitivity of the buttons were not good enough to play. Even after messing around with the light/medium/hard settings I would still hit them too hard/soft more often than not

I'm good at Gitaroo Man (completed it without failing a single track, and heve gotten A's on all of them, got to skeletons on master then traded it in).

Got Dance stage unleashed at the weekend. I'm playing it with a pad, but I can complete most of the 7 feet difficulty ones, and some with A's.

Unfortunately a wire deep inside one of the maraccas broke, and I haven't figured out a way of fixing it yet. My poor little heart broke when that happened. 

*hug* :(

I rock at Samba. I appear to be some sort of maracca god.

To paraphrase an Edge review, i should consider the professional maracca circut.

In fact, now that i think about it, its the only skill i actually have.

Now i'm depressed.

I'm not good enough but if I had more time I would probably still score average scores.

I'm good at vib ribbon, average at parapa the rapper and rez.

Frequency and amplitude are among my favourite games but that doesn’t mean that I have completed them. ;(

I'm not any good at dance mat games but I can enjoy those 2.

Gitaroo man is too difficult for me.

Dancing Stage xxxxx (don't have Stepmania), can sight read up to a 6 step song, but it's way ropey, better at 4 and 5 steps. i like to go fast, but the 16th notes bugger me up

Same here, I'm about the 5/6 level and always get caught out by the quicker steps. I need to concentrate more!

DDR is definitely the best new way of playing games I've found in recent memory, it's a revelation that games and music can be so successfully combined in such a fun way.

I'm one of the top 10 (possibly even top 5) Freq/Amp players in the world, am so heartbreakingly bad at the adorable Um Jammer Lammy that I can't even get past the first level and was doing swimmingly on Gitaroo Man until that Goth ponce in the cathedral showed up to spoil things with his hideous rock opera bobbins. I can get a high 90s on the SC5 games but then they are pretty easy. I am planning to to nab a Samba & maracas set of eBay one of these day but just know I'll be rubbish at it.

I tried Mad Maestro once but the pieces were just too frustratingly long in the short term though I'm sure with more practise it wouldn't have been much of an issue.

I appear to be quite a natural at rhythm action games. Completed Frequency on Normal having messed up once; Gitaroo Man on my second go on Normal, Stepmania is easy sightreading up to about 6 or 7. And I PWNED that PS2 Jap drumming game when I tried it - sight read just about everything off the bat.

The reason? I reckon it's cos I did used to be a damn fine drummer.

But I never ever practice any of them at all. I just can't be bothered.

I'm astonishingly shit at the dancing games, but I seem to be pretty good at any that just involve a regular controller.

I can thrash both Space Channel 5s with a consistent 95%+ view rating

Gitaroo Man is easy peasy on normal, but I haven't given it any time on Master mode yet.

FreQ and Amp I'm pretty good at. I tend to linger a few hundred to a couple of thousand behind the best scores on most tracks.

Does Rez count? I've got 100% on everything in the game, perfect ending and all that.

Mad Maestro I got bored of but found very easy.

Parappa 1 gave me loads of trouble on the very last part (the freestyling bit), then suddenly I thrashed it :unsure:. I haven't played the sequel or Lammy.

So yeah, I seem to have a pretty decent natural sense of rhythm, as long as I don't have to move anything other than my fingers.

Gitaroo Man is easy peasy on normal, but I haven't given it any time on Master mode yet.

Does Rez count? I've got 100% on everything in the game, perfect ending and all that.

I found that for Gitaroo Man.

And I'd love to watch you play Rez with the music turn up LOUD while you were clocking it.

I'm one of the top 10 (possibly even top 5) Freq/Amp players in the world, am so heartbreakingly bad at the adorable Um Jammer Lammy that I can't even get past the first level and was doing swimmingly on Gitaroo Man until that Goth ponce in the cathedral showed up to spoil things with his hideous rock opera bobbins. I can get a high 90s on the SC5 games but then they are pretty easy. I am planning to to nab a Samba & maracas set of eBay one of these day but just know I'll be rubbish at it.

I tried Mad Maestro once but the pieces were just too frustratingly long in the short term though I'm sure with more practise it wouldn't have been much of an issue.

Looking at your scores on Frequency/Amplitude, that's made me feel so much better - I'd assumed this would make you inhumanly good at all rhythm games.

Umm Jammer Lammy and Parappa though, something seems off with the PAL versions, I know I'm hitting the button perfectly in time, but it's like the game wants me to do it early or late or something.

Is this just me though :unsure:

Amplitude/Frequency - a bit (ok - a lot) worse than Sabreman judging by the high score threads. Don't think I've actually completed either on Expert/Insane (End of your world and it's equivalent on Amplitude....)

Gitaroo Man - Completed Normal, started Master.

DDR - ok - but I need to get my mat down here so I can improve / get some exercise.

Mad Maestro - interesting - the interaction with the music is particularly impressive - but the buttons are rubbish.

Rez - it isn't a rhythm action game, and I've never found the much heralded music/game interaction *that* involving (though I do like the depictions of abstract 3d space).

Vib Ribbon - it all just feels slightly off...