IGNORED

I Need Another Epic

ICECOLD

I enjoyed Invisible War so much, but completing it has left a big void in my life. Twin Snakes is still two weeks away, and I'd really prefer to have a new gaming experience to tide me over til then, instead of revisiting a classic I already own (such as the original Deus Ex).

I have all current consoles, and a Dreamcast. I'm not really after a Final Fantasy title, or anything really of that ilk or length... a quality action-adventure (or possibly FPS) with a gripping story would be preferable.

My favourite games include MGS, Shenmue, Headhunter and Resi amongst others, just to give you all an idea of the type of game I'm after. And i've recently completed Beyond Good And Evil, LoK: Defiance and KoTOR, so please dont suggest those.

Any Ideas? I had considered Kingdom Hearts, but I'd rather not get an RPG, and I can't see a Disney themed story being that epic :(

Answers on a postcard... :lol:

Edit: Having said all that, if someone could talk up Crystal Chronicles to me (solely on its 1player merits, and story), I may be tempted... I've heard it's quite different to other FF titles.

Kingdom hearts isn't really an RPG, and the story is epic, really :lol:

If you see it cheap, Primal is actually really quite nice in my opinion (except the swimmy level 2, hence only if it's cheap)

How about Prince of Persia?

Kingdom hearts isn't really an RPG, and the story is epic, really :lol:

If you see it cheap, Primal is actually really quite nice in my opinion (except the swimmy level 2, hence only if it's cheap)

How about Prince of Persia?

I played Primal at the Playstation experience in 2002, and it was awful. I didn't bother with the released version after that, and everything I've read about it hasn't changed my mind.

And would you call PoP an epic? Not sure if I would... it's brilliant, apparently, but I'm not really after a platformer... they tend to be a bit "meh" on the depth/immersion front.

I can pick up Kingdom Hearts in a local indie for £17.99, but I'm really not sure.

Splinter Cell: Had it, played it up to the Chinese Embassy level and swapped it. Utterly bored me. I love stealth, I really do, but not when its anally retentive. Tenchu WoH and MGS both do it much better.

Prime: I've owned it since May, and have only put 9 hours into it in all this time. Its a wonderful technical achievement for a videogame, and controls very nicely n all that... but I just don't really enjoy it. Probably because my main incentive for playing a 1player game - the story - is all-but absent.

System Shock 2: I'd love to play it, I really would. But I don't own a PC capable of doing so, and there's no console version Im aware of :(

Manhunt: um, no.

Forbidden Siren: What is that? It's a bit like Silent Hill, isn't it? can't stand Silent Hill (I'm a Resi fan, SH is too much of a departure from Resi style survival horror for my liking), so I doubt I'd like Siren much.

I'm so picky :(:(:lol:

Splinter Cell: Had it, played it up to the Chinese Embassy level and swapped it. Utterly bored me. I love stealth, I really do, but not when its anally retentive. Tenchu WoH and MGS both do it much better.

Prime: I've owned it since May, and have only put 9 hours into it in all this time. Its a wonderful technical achievement for a videogame, and controls very nicely n all that... but I just don't really enjoy it. Probably because my main incentive for playing a 1player game - the story - is all-but absent.

System Shock 2: I'd love to play it, I really would. But I don't own a PC capable of doing so, and there's no console version Im aware of :lol:

you're pc must be old then. it's an old game. i can run it on my laptop ... well if pc games are out of the question i'd go with hitman, not an amazing story, but some of the levels are genius.

Play invisible War again, trust me, I've completed it a half dozen times and I'm still not tired of it yet, try taking a different biomod strategy and approach to the game, take all the choices you didn't take last time. Try finishing it by killing everybody/nobody. Trust me, the more you play it the better it gets.

Manhunt: um, no.

You ought to try it out before you dismiss it so quickly, it's really rather good, and sounds perfect judging by the sort of games you like.

I'm sure you could persuade your mum or someone to get it for you.

You ought to try it out before you dismiss it so quickly, it's really rather good, and sounds perfect judging by the sort of games you like.

I'm sure you could persuade your mum or someone to get it for you.

I'm a 19 year old student with work to do, and rent and bills to pay, you pr1ck.

Also, "the sort of games I like"? I like epics with a deep, involving plot, game mechanics it takes more than a few minutes to learn and master, and hidden qualities that reveal themselves the more you play, and get better with it. Manhunt has a wafer-thin narrative, and gameplay which consists of standing in poorly rendered shadow, then walking behind people and pressing the "kill" button. Oh, and a discernable LACK of depth. It's all surface gloss.

But I'm sure it must make you must feel grown up playing it, because "ooh, it has blood and gore!". Come back when you can understand the notion of an "epic". Idiot.

Onimusha: I have that actually (Genma)- got with it with my xbox over a year ago and never played it. hmm...

Ninja Gaiden: Is that out now in the UK? Might be the very title I'm looking for if it is, considering EDGE's 9/10. Thanks :lol:

I wouldn't dismiss manhunt so easily, I bought it expecting something pretty average with tacked on gore and it turned out to be one of the best games I played last year. Very raw stealth and a setting inspired by movies like Escape from NY and Assault on precinct 13.

EDIT- ah sorry, you've already tried it and decided you don't like it

ICECOLD, you seem rather indecisive about what you actually want to play. You're dismissing games becuase of your initial notions and feelings from opnions expressed on here and reviews from magazines. That's all well and good, but what about throwing caution to the wind and buying some games on impulse?

Go out and pick a few games that take your fancy, if you don't like them, take them back and trade. Rent if you must.

I'm assuming you've played Halo? Metroid Prime? Ico? If you want an epic storyline, you really should try some final fantasy games, Kingdom Hearts would be a good choice also.

ICECOLD, you seem rather indecisive about what you actually want to play. You're dismissing games becuase of your initial notions and feelings from opnions expressed on here and reviews from magazines. That's all well and good, but what about throwing caution to the wind and buying some games on impulse?

Go out and pick a few games that take your fancy, if you don't like them, take them back and trade. Rent if you must.

I'm assuming you've played Halo? Metroid Prime? Ico? If you want an epic storyline, you really should try some final fantasy games, Kingdom Hearts would be a good choice also.

Impulse buys? Ah, if only I could afford that...

I agree about Kingdom Hearts - I really am quite tempted. And Ninja Gaiden really does look quite nice also (if it's out)... maybe not quite as epic in story, but from what I've read/seen it looks to offer some pretty jawdropping settings and battles.

Halo and Ico... yes yes. I own Halo, Ico I've completed and traded... both aren't exactly what I'd call "deep" on the story level - Halo's standard fare, each cutscene is just about enough to usher in the next change in scene/area, while Ico is actually lacking in anything other than understaded charm - there really isn't what I'd call a "narrative" there.

Like I've said above, despite being quite impressed with Prime technically, extended play, well... bores me.

I don't want a typical FF game, as I've done my fair share already. VII and X are both finished, and I'm stuck on VIII's last disc because my party isn't powerful enough to beat sorceress Adelle.

With FF games I really do find myelf putting up with the random battles - in essence, a significant portion of the gameplay - in order to enjoy the story. Playing Deus Ex recently makes me want to play a game where I enjoy gameplay AND story equally, probably in action-adventure form. And games that truly manage that are thin on the ground.

What about something like Jak 2 or Ratchett & Clank 1/2?

I guess they're not epic story driven games, but they look good, play well, and are action packed. Jak 2 is available for less than £20 in many places - it's a steal at that price.

I'd recommend Ratchet and Clank 2 but after a few hours all it seems to have is destroying everything that moves.

Jak II looks good as well from the very brief amount of play I have given it. A step away from normal platforming to become more of an adventure game, an actual plot built around it and interesting characters to meet.

How about Starfox Adventures? Dirt cheap but maybe a bit too laid back for you.

I'd recommend Ratchet and Clank 2 but after a few hours all it seems to have is destroying everything that moves.

Jak II looks good as well from the very brief amount of play I have given it. A step away from normal platforming to become more of an adventure game, an actual plot built around it and interesting characters to meet.

How about Starfox Adventures? Dirt cheap but maybe a bit too laid back for you.

Bought SFA on release, have since completed and traded it. Actually, I really enjoyed it for what it was - a Zelda-lite.

The Zelda game engine is one of the few I enjoy playing around with so much that I forego the lack of narrative, and still enjoy greatly on gameplay alone.

If you enjoyed SFA then I think beyond good and evil is the game for you.

Didn't read my initial post, did you mate.

And i've recently completed Beyond Good And Evil/b], LoK: Defiance and KoTOR, so please dont suggest those.

:lol::(

Metal Arms: You and your shooters... not my bag though, I'm afraid.

Now, could someone just answer me this:

IS NINJA GAIDEN OUT ON PAL RELEASE?