IGNORED

Forbidden Siren

Andy_Tanner

Ok quick question for those of you who have the game.

Is it worth getting if you have not liked any other Survival Horror game?

I had PS1 Silent Hill and I was shit at it so gave up, I had Resident Evil on DC again gave up because I am just hopeless with the control systems. I found it really awkward to aim at a Zombie or whatever when in battle. I also gave up on Eternal Darkness not because it was hard I just found it boring.

Ok quick question for those of you who have the game.

Is it worth getting if you have not liked any other Survival Horror game?

I had PS1 Silent Hill and I was shit at it so gave up, I had Resident Evil on DC again gave up because I am just hopeless with the control systems. I found it really awkward to aim at a Zombie or whatever when in battle. I also gave up on Eternal Darkness not because it was hard I just found it boring.

well it's really difficult to answer. Siren requires patience and timing, it's completely unlike the titles you've mentioned. it's uncompromising because if it wasn't there would be no sense of fear. the feeling when playing this game is akin to being hunted by the Blair Witch. you feel utterly helpless at times. my only advice would be to give it a try.

well it's really difficult to answer. Siren requires patience and timing, it's completely unlike the titles you've mentioned. it's uncompromising because if it wasn't there would be no sense of fear. the feeling when playing this game is akin to being hunted by the Blair Witch. you feel utterly helpless at times. my only advice would be to give it a try.

Hmmm may rent it from blockbuster 1st then.

But there is no sense of fear, really, just annoyance. This is my biggest bugbear with the whole thing. When they see you I wanted to be brown panting myself. Maybe the first time, with the cop and the car I was, but after dying several times and then several more on the level with the guy and the girl, it just started to get dull. A game is only scary really the first time through because you have no idea what is going on. Playing the same level something like 10 times because you happened to get caught and tapped on the shoulder (which in Siren means instant death!) just reduces it down to a game and breaks any form of immersion.

I must be missing something.

But there is no sense of fear, really, just annoyance. This is my biggest bugbear with the whole thing. When they see you I wanted to be brown panting myself. Maybe the first time, with the cop and the car I was, but after dying several times and then several more on the level with the guy and the girl, it just started to get dull. A game is only scary really the first time through because you have no idea what is going on. Playing the same level something like 10 times because you happened to get caught and tapped on the shoulder (which in Siren means instant death!) just reduces it down to a game and breaks any form of immersion.

Nope. It's just not even remotely scary.

that's really what it's all about. it's lacks the set pieces normally associated with the genre. fear is generated by the game play but you're approaching it with the wrong mnd set. you're ignoring the rules because you want it to be Silent Hill, Resident Evil, Project Zero ot whatever, but it isn't.

sure, it's uncompromising but it's only frustrating if you don't respect what it's about. if you're prepared to forgive a few shortcomings and concentrate on playing it how it's intended to be played you'd find a fresh and invigorating experience.

you can't ignore what the game is all about (sight jacking) and then complain it's frustrating because you ignore that aspect of it. do you see?

To be honest, I haven't complained about the Sight Jacking, which I think is the coolest aspect of the game. It's a very well designed gameplay mechanic. That's not the problem. The problem is in the game design itself - the small levels, the amount of time spent doing very little, the instant death by touch... It feels like a 3D pacman.

I'm not saying it doesn't look nice or sound good, but it just isn't scary. At all. And that's a big failing in game designed to be.

there's nothing wrong with the way the game's designed. why would a larger play area improve the game play? when you say "the amount of time spent doing very little" i presume you mean hiding, sight jacking, monitor enemy patterns etc ?

at the end of the day it's a strategical stealth title. maybe it's just not for you but it is scary in an unsettling way. you can plan your route and then suddenly a Shibuto spots you because you mistimed your move. you sight jack into the creature to hear it's demented mutterings as it madly makes it's way for you. the effect is both disturbing and scary.

I think we have a marmite game here. It's cool that you're enjoying it, Andy. I was really looking forward to it. I just hate being disappointed.

As an aside, I continued on with Manhunt last night. Now that game scares the hell out of me and the enemies in that are what I would call relentless.

i appreciate that you're not enjoying it i just don't accept that it's badly designed.

Ok, it's a psychological horror game, designed to unsettle and scare you. What do you find scary about this? The Zombies aren't because it is easy to get away from them if seen - For example, at the start of the priest level where you start on the riverbed. If you walk up the stairs and get seen at the top all you have to do is turn tail and run back to where you started. The Zombie will only come and have a look at the top of the stairs. Even if you get seen walking along the riverbed by the one looking over the bridge you can still retreat the the start point around a slight bend in the river and they won't come looking for you. You can sight jack them and watch them to check this out. The one on the roof hammering. He saw me opening the door below him. I ran into the house and opened the other door and went into the room with the tape player. I sight jacked him and all he did was wander up to the entrance and look in the kitchen. Hell, there was another door open which I was stood just inside and a blocked hallway. It didn't take much to see where I had gone. For all the touted relentless pursuing these guys do I was a tad disappointed. Once you know they only come to where they saw you and offer no further amount of pursuit it effectively removes the chill factor. I want to be hunted. I wanted to feel like helpless prey. Instead I just feel like I'm waiting for the next moment I can scamper past them in a pre-scripted way. This is not scary. Compare this to the Hunters in Manhunt, who (apart from needing some more carrots in their diet so they can see in the dark a little better :( ) relentlessly pursue you through the level until you can manage to find somewhere to hide and you can see that Forbidden Siren just isn't up to scratch. This is all IMO, of course.

I played U-1's copy for about an hour yesterday.

I get scared very easily, even Gremlins scare, me, but I didn't find this creepy at all.

I'm quite intriguied buy it though, I love creeping around.

I can imagine it getting pretty annoying though.

How many times did you have to press triangle to start that car?!

Unlock...

Get in...

Start engine...

Silly!

Yeah that put me off the damn game. It was more steps than that, you missed "open door", "wait for predictable bullet-through-windscreen", "listen to shit dubbing".

The final step for me was to turn the stupid game off.

Scarily bad camera angle, yeah... Shockingly bad controls.

It bizarrely has the same controls as RE. This really threw me when I entered that small room with the crackly radio on the 3rd level (was that radio a nod to Silent Hill, by the way?) because I didn't realise it was the same but it is.

Have to admit. I was expecting something quite unsettling, especially after reading a few previous post/threads stating that despite the dodgy dubbing it was "genuinely terrifying!" So I was pretty disappointed when I started it and found it to be anything but.

Ill give it chance, only played about an hour so far. But to be honest it doesnt look like being anywhere near "Project Zero" in terms of atmosphere...

i think you guys need to play it a little bit further. you can't judge it by the opening scene, you don't even get to sight jack and Squirtle as i said before, i appreciate that you don't like the game or that you don't find it scary but other than that the game design is fundamentally sound.

So, having to bring up a menu and select 4 different things to get a car to start isn't annoying to you?

As I said, I'll buy it, and play it but I can see it being frustrating very easily.

like i said, play it some more. the opening scene doesn't compare to what follows.

I'm surprised at the reaction to F Siren, especially as the Japanese version was loved by everyone who played it. The game was always going to be a love\hate game, but I never expected people to find the game unscary.

It may of course just be different opinions, but I have a feeling the game may have changed from the original release. Perhaps the dubbing has done a lot of harm, or they have changed the sound effects of the enemies in some way (which would entirely destroy the atmosphere). I don't know, I'm just a little...let down that people don't like it :(

Maybe people are just not scared of demented apes like I am :lol:

So, having to bring up a menu and select 4 different things to get a car to start isn't annoying to you?

As I said, I'll buy it, and play it but I can see it being frustrating very easily.

I think gayer Ed is buying my copy but if he decides not to then you can have it for £10 if you want. It's a promo so no proper box or instructions.

I think gayer Ed is buying my copy but if he decides not to then you can have it for £10 if you want. It's a promo so no proper box or instructions.

Hmmm, maybe.

I like having the box and manual and things.

Not sure.

One reason I want to play it is I like the style, and the story, and i want to see what happens, but it doesn't scare me into being able to play it, like every other survival horror ever.

i think you guys need to play it a little bit further. you can't judge it by the opening scene, you don't even get to sight jack and Squirtle as i said before, i appreciate that you don't like the game or that you don't find it scary but other than that the game design is fundamentally sound.

I got a lot further than the opening scene and soon got used to sightjacking into the enemies. Its a very neat trick, but just didnt really fill me with the fear or tension I was expecting. Especially when I realised that its easier to just run past most of the enemies (except the ones with rifles).

Dont get me wrong I think it looks great, and the branching storyline seems really interesting. Plus although the dubbings bad, its nowhere near as bad as I was expecting and I will definately be playing it through to the end.

Soong, for a tenner, I'll take it off your hands. I do feel I'm missing something so am willing to give it a go further as I only rented it over the weekend.

OK. I'll have to see with Ed first though cos he said he'd buy it last night.

I meant the opening scene, with the car, like you said when you quoted me before.

I'm not saying the menu is complex, just annoying.

I'm sure there aren't that many times you need to access it 4/5 times to do one thing though.