Forbidden Siren

Andy_Tanner

I see what you're saying, but I think the mere fact that I was actually listening to what the characters had to say - regardless of acting performance - immersed me into the game like few others before it.

but the charcters only really spoke suring cut scenes anyway leaving the player to bceome "immersed in the game" for the rest of the time. according to Steven in his earlier post, the same is true of Siren.

i'm not saying i like the voice acting. i would have preferred it if they'd left the dialogue in Japanese and used subtitles but this 'i'm not buying it because the dubbing is shit' attitude has become tiring during this thread.

it's a game and needs to be experienced as such before passing judgement.

it's a game and needs to be experienced as such before passing judgement.

I never said I'll absolutely refuse to play it now. All I'm saying is that this has gone from a likely purchase a couple of months ago, to a 'must-rent-for-weekend-before-thinking-of-purchase' after listening to that dub. ;)

it's a game and needs to be experienced as such before passing judgement

its a HORROR game, so if you don't get "scared" or "creeped out" while playing due to laughter inducing voice acting, it's only doing half the job.

there is not that much dialogue while you are actually playing

That's a fair point - the part in the video where the guy is hiding from the crazed copper (who is GENUINELY fear-inducing; that bizzare mix of mindless craze and yet humanity works 'wonders') looks as though it really works, and it's that kind of gameplay that I was so looking forward to in the first place. A friend of mines has been playing the Japanese version since release and, although he finds it fairly imprenetrable, has enjoyed how scary it is hiding from a monster, hoping not to make any noise at all so that it just keeps walking past the door you're hiding behind.

That really speaks volumes to me but, er, I guess I'll just have to turn the actual volume down. :rolleyes:

No, i havent, but I saw that video and can safely say that wether the game itself generates a dark atmosphere or not, when those cutscenes appear, the illusion will be shattered. do you disagree?

i'd rather trust the opinions of those who've played it who, in this thread at least, have been very positive despite admitting that the voice acting is really shit. infact Steven Poole reckons it's the worst dub he's witnessed in any medium yet still reckons the game is "extraordinarily creepy and compelling". take from that what you will.

The voice acting will only really harm the cutscenes, which is quite serious but not entirely fatal. I've heard very little of the English version, but the demented-ape noises the enemy make in-game seem to be all good and proper.

When you are hiding in the bushes, with a zombie (forget the name of them now...Shibuto or something) hammering away relentlessly at a wall and another patrolling right in front of your nose, the last thing you'll be thinking of is language or dubbing - you'll be thinking, "they actually expect me to move??".

Siren is an odd one as a horror. Silent Hill made you scared to enter the next room - it played all the right sounds at the right times. Fatal Frame makes you nervous about the room you are in, with silent whispers and subtile ghostly animations.

Siren makes you scared to move. Also, Siren makes you scared to stay still.

There is no rest, you are always under pressure and one slip up will usually kill you. Getting seen and having the zombies chase after you is - by far the greatest moment horror has ever had. Never have I felt so utterly helpless and hunted by such powerful and determined enemy. You see them relentlesly hammering away at a wall, or farming the same spot over and over, this isn't lazy animation or AI, this shows them up as real people who have turned. Watching one of them hammering away just reminds you that they were human, that they remember something about their life and job. It's when you realise that their determination of hammering away is transformed into the determination of hunting you that you really start to worry.

Siren isn't scary like Silent Hill or Fatal Frame, it is pure terror. Terror of being caught, being found. Being hunted...

I agree that it is a near-masterpiece, and I shall continue to recommend it to everyone.

I played it for a couple of hours last night, and here are my thoughts:

Yes, the dubbing is terrible. They coulc at least make Japanese people in Japan sound like Japanese people, even if they are talking in English, instead of someone from essex.

I think the controls could be better. Strafing is a pain in the arse, and picking up and using objects seems a bit cumbersome.

The story's interesting so far. I love the way it cuts back and forth between characters and times. I also like that there's a handy chart so you can keep track of it all.

I love the sightjack idea. Trying to figure out where your enemies are, and if they'll be able to see you makes for some very tense moments.

All in all, I like it a lot. It's just a shame I'm stuck already :rolleyes:

The voice acting will only really harm the cutscenes, which is quite serious but not entirely fatal. I've heard very little of the English version, but the demented-ape noises the enemy make in-game seem to be all good and proper.

When you are hiding in the bushes, with a zombie (forget the name of them now...Shibuto or something) hammering away relentlessly at a wall and another patrolling right in front of your nose, the last thing you'll be thinking of is language or dubbing - you'll be thinking, "they actually expect me to move??".

Siren is an odd one as a horror. Silent Hill made you scared to enter the next room - it played all the right sounds at the right times. Fatal Frame makes you nervous about the room you are in, with silent whispers and subtile ghostly animations.

Siren makes you scared to move. Also, Siren makes you scared to stay still.

There is no rest, you are always under pressure and one slip up will usually kill you. Getting seen and having the zombies chase after you is - by far the greatest moment horror has ever had. Never have I felt so utterly helpless and hunted by such powerful and determined enemy. You see them relentlesly hammering away at a wall, or farming the same spot over and over, this isn't lazy animation or AI, this shows them up as real people who have turned. Watching one of them hammering away just reminds you that they were human, that they remember something about their life and job. It's when you realise that their determination of hammering away is transformed into the determination of hunting you that you really start to worry.

Siren isn't scary like Silent Hill or Fatal Frame, it is pure terror. Terror of being caught, being found. Being hunted...

I agree that it is a near-masterpiece, and I shall continue to recommend it to everyone.

I didn't get it last night, but you have sold me on the game now. Think I might nip to Asda now to see if they have it in.

It is still playable, but you'll have to guess what is going on with the story. There are a few puzzles that are a little odd and without a lot of trial and error you'll get stuck, but other than that it is sound. The gameplay is still the same.

A lot of Japanese though, so you may feel like you are missing out on quite a bit (I certainly did).

This game is shit.

Nuff said, really.

Scary, my arse. It's just "hide for half an hour, get killed. Hide for an hour, inch your way a bit closer to the end of the "level", get killed". It's just so fucking boring...

Not so fussed at the dubbing. It's not that bad. The gameplay seems a little...crap though. Hmmm, I've rented it and will see over the weekend, but right now, it's not that good. Certainly not in the same league as Project Zero for scares. just seems quite frustrating so far. Will see how it progresses...

Not so fussed at the dubbing. It's not that bad. The gameplay seems a little...crap though. Hmmm, I've rented it and will see over the weekend, but right now, it's not that good. Certainly not in the same league as Project Zero for scares. just seems quite frustrating so far. Will see how it progresses...

Hmm, think I'll give it a rental first too then (or I'll rent it from game before getting something else). Is the gameplay as simple as it seems from the video? Its not like that the whole way through, surely?

The gameplay basically consists of getting from a to b and perhaps a couple of sub tasks to do to get there. Can`t say the sight jacking is that impressive and seems useless rather than helpful most of the time as you can`t really see where your enemies are and just find the easiest way to get through a level is to leg it and see how far you get and you will soon realise where the enemies are. Then try and avoid them the best you can on your next run which i still find trying to leg it past them the easiest option as they usually end up spotting you anyway if you try and sneak past them. Plus the game isn`t a patch on silent hill in terms of gameplay or tension. The strory ain`t bad though but i have been very dissapointed upto yet after all the glowing reviews. it`s got

Genre? Survival horror. Look at my description above what it`s about. Is it scary? not in the slightest. Resident evil on the cube was great for making you jump and panic and silent hill was great at make you tense and cautious about entering rooms. Siren isn`t any of them.

Genre? Survival horror. Look at my description above what it`s about. Is it scary? not in the slightest. Resident evil on the cube was great for making you jump and panic and silent hill was great at make you tense and cautious about entering rooms. Siren isn`t any of them.

Are you sure you've played this properly? From the opnions given further up, it seems like Siren is a genre defining example of horror within a videogame.