IGNORED

Forbidden Siren

Andy_Tanner

Gah. If I watch a foreign movie, I always watch is subtitled, if I've got the option at all. The same goes for video games. Christ, with all the space on your average DVD, I wish more games would support the original dialogue, and use a nice, neat, unintrusive typeface for the subtitling.

But then again, I remember going to see 'Brotherhood of the Wolf' in the Cinema a few years ago because I'd heard it was a decent action flick... the second the subtitles came up, I estimate just over half the cinema got up and walked out, so maybe they have to do it to get the sales.

Still wind's me up, though.

Well, after watching that, its not that the acting is bad (its not too shabby really), its just that its so horrifically out of place.

Japanese lad running around a japanese village, where the weirdos are chanting in japanese..... talking with an english accent? Bleh ;)

a really bad, rub you up the wrong way english accent.. it's like getting Tara Palmer Tompkinson to play The Bride in Kill Bill part 2... 'Take that, you utter beasts!!'

I clicked on that thinking "It won't be as bad as they make out, it never is."

Oh. My. God.

It's like they deliberately picked the worst possible voice actors ever. Even when the lad cries out "Hey!" it makes you cringe. Shame, as the game looks really interesting but there is no way I could play it while listening to that.

yes well, i still haven't played it so i reserve judgement but i can't see it damaging the game to the point it's ruined. most of the time i'm guessing there isn't too much speech going on and that it relies on fear & tension, as well as playability of course. the dubbing will probably be during cutscenes and occasional conversations.

let's wait and see once the impressions start filtering their way through here.

There is a [really vague] rumour that Sony is planning a LE Director's Cut package in the future containing both English and Japanese dialogue after the negative reception the dubbing has received. But like I said, it's just a rumour at the moment.

I'll wait for that then. And if it doesn't come I'll miss out on Siren. As much as it pains me but I'm not going to put up with that shit.

I clicked on that thinking "It won't be as bad as they make out, it never is."

Oh. My. God.

It's like they deliberately picked the worst possible voice actors ever. Even when the lad cries out "Hey!" it makes you cringe. Shame, as the game looks really interesting but there is no way I could play it while listening to that.

That is fucking awful, and I'm really tolerant of dubs.

oh.

my.

GOD.

they aint getting my money now... that voice acting is utterly amateurish, sounds like a fucking lunchtime kids TV program aimed at preschoolers.

it just destroys the atmospehere instantly.

That really is a travesty - it's not like I was expecting it to be, in the usual way where they just fucked up the translation ala Resi and PZ, htis is just bad, bad acting. I laughed way too much, I wonder if the full game can possibly hope to be scary?

That really is a travesty - it's not like I was expecting it to be, in the usual way where they just fucked up the translation ala Resi and PZ, htis is just bad, bad acting. I laughed way too much, I wonder if the full game can possibly hope to be scary?

i honestly don't think it's that bad. not from that video anyway, it's no worse than many other games and it still creepy as hell. the only impression so far on this thread (can't remember who) is positive, i.e. yeah the voice acting is shit but the game is still amazing - best survival horror title yet or something along those lines. i'll go by opinions from people who've played it before i get the chance myself. i think avoiding the game altogether is a bit drastic.

if a game intends to be scary, it needs to be convincing.. this just kills the vibe every time a character speaks.... ugh!

why the HELL dont they give us a japanese subbed version?? even if they downgraded the japanese dialogue down to a lower bitrate to fit , i'd still be happy

someone needs to set up a voice actor studio, probably incorporating an agency into the equation.. they could clean up.. just think of all the BBC radio drama actors that have years of experience at this kinda stuff...

i think avoiding the game altogether is a bit drastic.

Thing is, I probably wouldn't care so much if it wasn't a survival horror game. Atmosphere is just so important to me when playing these games, and shit, if just watching that video made me snigger in utter disbelief at how out of place the character's voices are, I just simply can't see myself getting immersed in the game at all.

Thing is, I probably wouldn't care so much if it wasn't a survival horror game. Atmosphere is just so important to me when playing these games, and shit, if just watching that video made me snigger in utter disbelief at how out of place the character's voices are, I just simply can't see myself getting immersed in the game at all.

i don't see why you think it's so much worse than Resident Evil with it's "you, master of unlocking" or Silent Hill's stilted dialogue. those games were still shit your pants scary.

give it a chance for god's sake.

Well, IMO as ever, Forbidden Siren has a dubbing which is drastically worse than any other survival horror title EVER. I mean, the others were silly (and I wouldn't even say Silent Hills was ever 'bad', to any real extent), but it seems to me like this really is potentially atmosphere-destroying stuff. I'll probably still buy it, just not right now - I'll wait for more opinion to be voiced and a price drop ideally.

Well, IMO as ever, Forbidden Siren has a dubbing which is drastically worse than any other survival horror title EVER. I mean, the others were silly (and I wouldn't even say Silent Hills was ever 'bad', to any real extent), but it seems to me like this really is potentially atmosphere-destroying stuff. I'll probably still buy it, just not right now - I'll wait for more opinion to be voiced and a price drop ideally.

yet you haven't played it. i'm getting frustrated now. does anyone have anything to say that isn't about the dubbing?

Heh, that's right.

'Oh, such poor voice acting offends my senses so much, I cannot possibly hope to take this game seriously!'

Nice excuse for the WUSSY MEN! (or ladies)

;)

Anyone seen any of the later levels? You don't play the same character throughout. Yes, the guy may be annoying as hell, but there are many other protagonists to sample before the dubbing is dismissed entirely.

I don't want to antagonise you here Andy, but I'm not making a point about anything other than the dubbing... I did say it was potentially atmosphere-destroying, which is the impression I got from that movie. Maybe it is brilliant - god knows, I've really hoped it would be ever since I heard about it (as, in terms of style and execution, it stands a good chance of being hte scariest thing ever), but the signs aren't really pointing in the right direction as far as I can tell.

Heh, that's right.

'Oh, such poor voice acting offends my senses so much, I cannot possibly hope to take this game seriously!'

Nice excuse for the WUSSY MEN! (or ladies)

:D

Anyone seen any of the later levels? You don't play the same character throughout. Yes, the guy may be annoying as hell, but there are many other protagonists to sample before the dubbing is dismissed entirely.

Debunked at last ;)

i don't see why you think it's so much worse than Resident Evil with it's "you, master of unlocking" or Silent Hill's stilted dialogue. those games were still shit your pants scary.

give it a chance for god's sake.

Resident Evil? I played that back when I was 16 and voice-acting in games was totally new to me. To be honest, I was so naive back then I wouldn't have known the difference between a good dub and a bad one.

And besides, that game relied much more on easy, cheap scares which don't rely on the overall atmosphere too much. From what I've read of Siren, it's more "Jacob's Ladder" than "Freddy vs Jason". If you catch my drift.

Never played Silent Hill.

I don't want to antagonise you here Andy, but I'm not making a point about anything other than the dubbing... I did say it was potentially atmosphere-destroying, which is the impression I got from that movie. Maybe it is brilliant - god knows, I've really hoped it would be ever since I heard about it (as, in terms of style and execution, it stands a good chance of being hte scariest thing ever), but the signs aren't really pointing in the right direction as far as I can tell.

Yeah, what he said.

but you seem to be basing your opinion on a four minute video. apparantly the games take 30 hours+ to complete. the video doesn't really demonstrate the game play that well (sight jacking). it's not even a trailor just a work in progress thing.

the reviews that i've read and that i consider worthy (Edge's and Mr Poole's) are both very encouraging as are impressions here from those that seem to have played the game, though i admit they are few.

yet you haven't played it. i'm getting frustrated now. does anyone have anything to say that isn't about the dubbing?

I've generally had major "issues" with every survival horror game I've ever played, with their horrible controls and ludicrous inventory limitations or whatever, but FS I have found extraordinarily creepy and compelling.

The dubbing is not just "bad Resident Evil voice-acting" but quite possibly the worst dub of anything in any medium that I've ever heard. However, there is not that much dialogue while you are actually playing, as opposed to in cut-scenes, so despite its best efforts it doesn't actually succeed in destroying the entire atmosphere.

Whoever took the decision at Sony to remove the Japanese voices and okay this appalling am-dram farrago really ought to be ashamed. But the product as it stands is still, as I said in the review, a "near-masterpiece".

Resident Evil? I played that back when I was 16 and voice-acting in games was totally new to me. To be honest, I was so naive back then I wouldn't have known the difference between a good dub and a bad one.

you would have known if it ruined the game play for you, surely? 16 doesn't = no critical faculties whatsoever. or at least it didn't when i was 16.

you would have known if it ruined the game play for you, surely? 16 doesn't = no critical faculties whatsoever. or at least it didn't when i was 16.

I see what you're saying, but I think the mere fact that I was actually listening to what the characters had to say - regardless of acting performance - immersed me into the game like few others before it.