IGNORED

Official J-Music Thread

The-G

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

So you can tell I haven't followed the actual J-music news for quite a long time, as one of my fave bands reformed in September and this is the first Ive head of it! And even then I only came across it at random by looking for youtube links for someone.

So yes, Do As Infinity are back and reformed on the three year anniversary of their break up, which was the 6th anniversary of their debut (all to the exact day). From the looks of it seems they are going to finally have a consistent band presence in the studio and not use sessionists for recordings and a seperate set band for all their live performances. No Dai Nagao by the looks of it though which is a cause for some concern as he's no longer working for Avex...

I like Perfume too, but the Daft Punk comment is madness, I tells ye. The production is a bit too homogeneous to be anything particularly special, and need more little moments of incongruousness, like a mad mellotron in the middle or a trumpet solo. Then it would be wow-land pop music.

I like Perfume too, but the Daft Punk comment is madness, I tells ye. The production is a bit too homogeneous to be anything particularly special, and need more little moments of incongruousness, like a mad mellotron in the middle or a trumpet solo. Then it would be wow-land pop music.

Electro World is Electro-Pop PERFECTION. PERFECTION!

Electro World

In the same way that Catch My Breath/Starry Sky by Capsule are electro-pop perfection also.

Capsule - Catch My Breath

Capsule - Starry Sky

Have been raving about Capsule/Perfume for ages now and even pimped them in the dance thread a few times but nobody paid any attention! Hmph!

Nice to see the Perfume love going on here, thought I was the only one.

For my money, these are the best songs they've done:

Dream Fighter

Perfect Star, Perfect Style

Polyrhythm

Yasutaka Nakata also produced songs for MEG, of which this is the best, if just for the AMAZING video:

Precious

Japanese artists seems to be getting a slightly more pronounced western push this year. Utada Hikaru, BoA and the Teriyaki Boyz will all be releasing albums on these shores. Ayumi Hamasaki is also doing the (used worldwide) theme song for the Dragonball movie (which looks shit btw)

Sky have recently added NHK World (516) which hosts J-MELO. Finally, my life-long dream of watching an Ai Otsuka pv on British tv has come true :o

I like Perfume a lot, but Capsule have never really grabbed me. I might give them another go though.

The entire of the Sugarless GiRL album is absolutely brilliant and I mean every single song, wonderful stuff.

Gwynster, they were considered very cool to the people I've been pimping them to for several years now :(

EDIT : The people that have actually listened to them that is... :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Maybe you guys in here can help me. I've still got a few itunes vouchers left, and I'm looking for some good Japanese stuff that you can't get anywhere else. Here's some Japanese bands that I already like, and if anyone can suggest anything else in these sorts of veins, I'd be most appreciative! :(

Silent Poets

Spangle Call Lilli Line

Mass of the Fermenting Dregs

Bloodthirsty Butchers

Supercar

Cornelius

Buffalo Daughter

Okamura & Ishino

zOoOoOm

Cheers!

You just reminded me that I haven't heard the last Buffalo Daughter album. I rather enjoyed Pshychic, so I really should give it a go.

That was the last one I got too... has there been a new one since? I also have 'New Rock' and 'I', which I thought were both also excellent (despite the drubbing 'I' from the critics... still don't understand why).

Maybe you guys in here can help me. I've still got a few itunes vouchers left, and I'm looking for some good Japanese stuff that you can't get anywhere else. Here's some Japanese bands that I already like, and if anyone can suggest anything else in these sorts of veins, I'd be most appreciative! :(

i'm not familiar with any of those bands :( but I do know you can buy L'arc~en~ciel - Kiss (their most recent album) for £8. In the uk most japanese music on itunes will be stuff with a uk/european license - theres only so much.

kscl1234_l.jpg

i'm not familiar with any of those bands :( but I do know you can buy L'arc~en~ciel - Kiss (their most recent album) for £8. In the uk most japanese music on itunes will be stuff with a uk/european license - theres only so much.

Oh sorry.. I should've been more specific. I have vouchers for the Japanese iTunes store. :(

But thank you anyway!

Silent Poets

Spangle Call Lilli Line

Mass of the Fermenting Dregs

Bloodthirsty Butchers

Supercar

Cornelius

Buffalo Daughter

Okamura & Ishino

zOoOoOm

Cheers!

Number girl!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=TDoNX0lRL1g&

If you haven't got the new Spangle Call Lilli-Line album "PURPLE" then get it, probably one of my favourite albums of last year. Also try and get some Pasteboard, 9mm Parabellum Bullet, bands like that...

Yeah, i'd like to get that, but i've got them all on CD so far, so i'd like to find a physical copy of it somewhere that won't cost the earth. Play Asia has had their last couple of albums, but sadly not the new one yet.

Having said that, i've not been so keen on the last few albums they've done, especially compared to 'Nanae' and 'Or'. But I'm willing to give them another shot.

PURPLE is a definate return to form, infact "A Portrait" and "Mai" are probably two of my most favourite songs of last year. Wonderful stuff!

Spangle Call Lilli Line - A Portrait

Can't find a sample of Mai anywhere, but it's the very first track on the album, brilliance!

pasteboard - Slow Dive

Only pasteboard song I can find on youtube and it only went up a couple of months ago, really have to find a video for Free Soul, their album "Glitter" is in my top 10 of all time and probably one of the greatest shoegaze albums I've ever heard.