Official J-Music Thread

The-G

New Dir en grey single out

Ryoujoku no Ame (Rain of Humiliation)

Heard it live in Berlin when they premiered it in Europe in May and it didn't really seem up to much... but the single sounds absolutely fantastic.

Grab it from JpopSuki. Highly recommended. PV is fairly interesting as well.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Mega. Hadn't heard any Tokyo Jihen up until now, I'm finding this to be ace! What do you recommend from that thread?

Depends what you're after really...

There's such a stupidly huge amount of good music in that thread, the person describing them is very clued up so just read the descriptions and download away!

If you like Tokyo Jihen though... I'd say try Seagull Screaming Kiss Her Kiss Her, as well as some of Shiina Ringo's solo stuff.

Also, grab the new Polysics album, bloody brilliant it is!

Depends what you're after really...

There's such a stupidly huge amount of good music in that thread, the person describing them is very clued up so just read the descriptions and download away!

If you like Tokyo Jihen though... I'd say try Seagull Screaming Kiss Her Kiss Her, as well as some of Shiina Ringo's solo stuff.

Also, grab the new Polysics album, bloody brilliant it is!

I have some of Shiina's solo stuff already, I love Karuki Zaamen and I have Polysics' Karate House+its lovely DVD. I tried Seagull Screaming a while back and didn't like them for some reason..I can't remember what they sounded like. I'll have a look through a bunch of them though.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kairusensei

Well I can name quite a Few good bands if you like Visual kei and j-rock and j-goth the best ones I would say to try ( sorry if already listed)

MUCC, JAPAN-X, Malice Mizer, Moi Dix Mois, Dir en Grey, stance punks, Maximum the hormone can also try more hip hop bands like orange range and rip sylme, and also tokio are a cool band they are just the first few bands that came into my mind that I listen to most of the time

My wife - uncharacteristically (for her anyway) has asked me to hunt down some CDs by Kumi Kouda (she sang the 1000 somethings for FFVIII) - I don't have a clue where to begin. Where is the best place in the UK to get Japanese Music CD's or where is the best place to download them? (Legally)

There used to be a good selection in the Oriental Shopping Centre in Colindale but that went a long time ago (with the book shop) and the Japan Centre in Picadilly drew a blank. Any help would be appreciated.

Will

My wife - uncharacteristically (for her anyway) has asked me to hunt down some CDs by Kumi Kouda (she sang the 1000 somethings for FFVIII) - I don't have a clue where to begin. Where is the best place in the UK to get Japanese Music CD's or where is the best place to download them? (Legally)

There used to be a good selection in the Oriental Shopping Centre in Colindale but that went a long time ago (with the book shop) and the Japan Centre in Picadilly drew a blank. Any help would be appreciated.

Will

I find that very hard to belive. Screw legal downloads, just use jpopsuki :)

Harharhar I now have 4 tickets booked for myself and friends to go and see Dir en grey at Islington Academy in August.

CANNOT FUCKING WAIT!

Twill be the 4th time I've seen them now, and judging by how good they've been compared to their previous gigs, this will probably be the best gig ever :)

I find that very hard to belive. Screw legal downloads, just use jpopsuki ;)

I went and asked - promise. ;) Although communication is always somewhat stilted in there. Although go for confusion stay for Tonkatsu Kare. :)

(BTW: In case you care - They're closing the whole Oriental Shopping Centre by the way - including the Sega World bit. ^_^ )

EDIT: It's a birthday present, piracy does not a good gift make. sadly.

Ah, gotcha. If you dont mind importing, Yesasia will deliver within 5-7 days, and should cost you £10-15

I really find it hard to belive japan centre didnt have any Koda Kumi. She would be one of their best sellers! Shame it would cost you £20-25 in there......

Ah, gotcha. If you dont mind importing, Yesasia will deliver within 5-7 days, and should cost you £10-15

I really find it hard to belive japan centre didnt have any Koda Kumi. She would be one of their best sellers! Shame it would cost you £20-25 in there......

That's perfect buddy. Yesasia it is! Thank you.

Recently discovered the band bleach and really like them. Can't wait to go see them live. Check them out. (They are also called Bleach03 in the US which makes searching a lot easier)

Here's one of their videos on youtube:

Awesome. I'll have to hunt out some albums. Are they touring the UK?

Awesome. I'll have to hunt out some albums. Are they touring the UK?

Unfortunately not, I'm in Japan and they're touring here at the moment. I totally forgot about the gig though and so didn't go see them :lol:

I think only one of their albums got a UK release, but I think if you order off amazon Japan they'll deliver to the UK. I just got another of their albums today, yet to listen to it yet though.

Dir en grey in islington ;)

Yup

2nd of August, with support yet to be announced... sold out terribly quickly though

Also, check out RADWIMPS

Heard them a wee while back and didn't really think much of them, but their recent output has been absolutely bloody gorgeous. Very laid back rockishness, bits of funk and punk here and there. Beautiful sounding vocals as well, very relaxing.

There's a new Melt Banana album out next month - "Bambi's Dilemma". If it's anywhere near as good as Cell-Scape then I will be a very happy person!

Happy person is me! Just listened to a preview and it looks like it's pretty much picking up on the direction Cell Scape was heading in. In that respect some die hard fans might be disappointed that the album has a more poppy sound to it (MB claim that this is their "rock" album) but it's unmistakeably Melt Banana, and there's only so many barely listenable tracks that you can subject yourself to.

A thumb is up! Special note goes to the last track which, from the preview, sounded nothing like I'd heard from them before.