IGNORED

GAME's stupid trade-in prices

danryu

It really is a disgrace, and rather than keep quiet about it, they pack several leaflets into the bags encouraging people to do it. Therefore, i've vented my frustration creatively:

game.jpg

P.S I think GAME are good for the odd bargain and peripheral and I have several friends that work there, so don't think I hate GAME.

very funny, image took ages to load - i was wondering what you were going on about...

*switches on news to discover game in danryu's town has been firebombed, killing three innocents and more importantly, destroying lots of games.*

Nice. But saying that, I got £30 back for XIII (which I originally bought for £17.99) and Max Payne 2 (again which I got for £20) so I din't lose out that much.

Then again, we have two game stores in town. The first, smaller game offered me £30. Cool, I thought and wandered to the bigger one planning on taking advantage of the larger selection in their store. Upon getting there, I was only offered £20 for the same games. When I said how come in the other store I could get £30 the guy blathered something about stock levels and the like. Needless to say, I went back to the other store.

Why don't Game have a central pricing structure like Gamestation do?

Thankfully I think many people have realised how much better Gamestation and Another World are here in Leicester which gives me some hope for humanity at least.

There are suprisingly few pre-owned titles in Game considering the amount of customers they have. The others have stacks though at decent prices.

They take all my games back for £20, I can't complain about that. They do need to make a profit from selling them on.

That's for brand new games, that if you bought them online for £30, its not too horrific (but why trade in a brand new game?) If not, that's really quite cheeky, as is the prices they offer on older games. It would be more understandable if they charged less for their second hand games, but usually they're about £5 less, meaning a lot of pure profit if the game is good. Oh and the second hand ones are always scratched to hell. But yup, that's it. I just wanted to show my leaflet really, not start a tired old arguement again ;)

Don't you think it's awfully nice of them to actually give you money for your games, no matter how bad it is?

It's not 'awfully nice of them' -- it's the core of their business model. They make more money from trade-in resales than they do from selling new games.

I don't know this for sure, but I do know that stores have 'trade-in' targets to meet and head office does what they can to encourage a greater proportion of second-hand vs. new sales. They certainly make more money per-unit on trade-ins - no warehouse costs, no transport costs, no one else to take a cut, etc.

So yes GAME do rather take the piss on the buy/sell spread, and make a metric fuckload of cash from it too...

-J

£33 for an original GBA (on GBA SP launch day), with N-Case, rechargable battery and charger, Doom, and Pocket Music.

They're dicks.

Yes - but it's not as though anyone would want a GBA when the SP is so shiny and lovely.

You were selling it, weren't you? :-)

Last year I traded 7 games/items for my SP.

PSO 1&2

Pikmin

Luigi's Mansion

Rayman 3

Zoocube

Worms Blast

Mario Sunshine

GC 56k Modem

Shakana, the independent game store gave for all that: £30

GAME gave: £85-£90

Put on a extra £40 from me and I left a happy gamer.

It really just comes down to how much stock of the same product they have.

Mind you I'm re-buying that sold collection slowly...got sunshine again last christmas, pikmin last week and saw PSO for £15 today, mmmm.

Now shoo while I go play Poyu Pop Fever, which none of the independents had but GAME did.

I find these sort of things amusing. How many other industries have a similar buy-back scheme at the place where you buy the damn thing? Can you take DVDs and CDs back to HMV?

You don't like how much they pay? Then don't fucking sell them to them. Do it yourself on Ebay or to an Indie. Just quit your childish complaining.

I got offered a job there ;)

Something gay like £4 an hour though, so I stuck to shitty Wetherspoons.

Yup in wood green.

Its dark and gloomy in there mind you, it feels like somewhere illegal. Smells too.

However it was the only place in whole of wood green to get the GC modem for me last march. And as a store its been open since the 80s apparently.

This coming from someone with 5000 posts on an internet forum? There's nothing more embarrasing than geeks labelling others geeks, so don't even bother.

Most of which were done whilst at work where literally anything seems better than my job.

Unfortunately that has had to change as a new internet policy at work has meant I basically can't do any personal browsing at work anymore. Most people here have probably posted more than me of late.

Yes - but it's not as though anyone would want a GBA when the SP is so shiny and lovely.

You were selling it, weren't you? :-)

I went and traded all that in for the price they offered anyway, even with a Cash Generator in town which would've offered me a better price. ;)

They knew how desperate I was, I guess.

This coming from someone with 5000 posts on an internet forum? There's nothing more embarrasing than geeks labelling others geeks, so don't even bother.

It's an obvious, yet nonetheless effective putdown....

Incidentally, I don't think I've been in a Game store for about 6 months. Do they still smell?

Don't you think it's awfully nice of them to actually give you money for your games, no matter how bad it is? Try taking your music CDs back to a high street chain for money. Go on.

You don't have to take the games back. Mmm?

I take my CDs back all the time. So what's your point?

HMV give vouchers, but Virgin give refunds with the receipt.

GAME are stupid, have shit staff, and give varying prices, which is also stupid.

Gamestation give cash and a seven day money back guarentee on games, which makes them better. ;)

N64's still trade in for £14 at Gamestation, SNES's trade in for something stupid like £18, GBA's for £29 (original), expansion paks for N64 trade for £14 too.

So yeah, GS is rather much better. :)

I take my CDs back all the time. So what's your point?

HMV give vouchers, but Virgin give refunds with the receipt.

GAME are stupid, have shit staff, and give varying prices, which is also stupid.

Gamestation give cash and a seven day money back guarentee on games, which makes them better. ;)

N64's still trade in for £14 at Gamestation, SNES's trade in for something stupid like £18, GBA's for £29 (original), expansion paks for N64 trade for £14 too.

So yeah, GS is rather much better. :)

Corporate whore!

:D