rllmuk
Goose

Lost - The Full Series Thread

I thought the first season was brilliant, gripping, intriguing television. I remember enjoying the second season too but then the most of the third was abysmal and I sort of drifted away mentally after that. I still watched it (binged on the DVD box sets) but even towards the end of the third season if felt like they didn't really know what to do with it - then all the time travel junk came about and it rather disappeared up its own arse.

I was always rooting for Locke - the episode where he donates the kidney is enthralling, tragic storytelling - but hated what happened to him.

I actually didn't hate the last episode because by that time expecting any answers from the writers was a fools errand and, despite the fact it all became a bit of a car crash, it was still proper 'event' TV. Has there been anything like it since?

I loved the first. Hated the second because by the end of the season it felt completely pointless. But it definitely revealed the idea they had no plan (or at least no way to fill the requisite number of series until the pay master decided they could finish it).

But overall, looking back. I still remember it fondly.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Gabe said:

I actually didn't hate the last episode because by that time expecting any answers from the writers was a fools errand and, despite the fact it all became a bit of a car crash, it was still proper 'event' TV. Has there been anything like it since?

There were loads of series that tried to be the next Lost; Flash Forward, The Event, Threshold, Invasion, one about sea monsters I forget the name of.

They all crashed and burned because people were tired of shell games by that point.

The Desmond and Faraday episodes are some of the best episodes on TV across anything ever. Except maybe that Westworld episode with the Ghost Nation. 

• Upvote 4