rllmuk
Goose

Lost - The Full Series Thread

I'm almost sure in the original thread when the pilot was leaked way back in late Aug/Sept. there was talk of Ch5 picking it up because IIRC, Laine was annoyed by that because Ch5 made a right mess of showing Alias.

It's a big hit in the US this show, part of what's being called the "Reality TV Backlash". This year on US TV the amount of primetime hours of realty TV doubled to 20 hours a week. All the reality TV shows have done poorly though, and the new dramas have done really well. Lost is pulling in around 18 million viewers a week so far, so its hardly surprising its been picked up.

I'm almost sure in the original thread when the pilot was leaked way back in late Aug/Sept. there was talk of Ch5 picking it up because IIRC, Laine was annoyed by that because Ch5 made a right mess of showing Alias.

Almost right, Goose.

Channel 4 are picking it up.

I'm stupidly pleased it's having a full season.

I loved episode 4.

Well this was Jack's episode and wow did it throw up some weird ideas.

Click For Spoiler

So are we to assume that Jack's father wasn't actually on the plane? I'm not going down the reanimated corpse track. Like Kate, more was revealed but also like Kate, you're left with a nagging thought - What did Jack do? Malpractice? Abuse of a patient? Was his father appearing the manifestation of guilt?

Is Locke now Buddha? He seemed awfully philosphical when talking to Jack. What was his "looked into the eye of the island" thing all about?!

The hairbrush thing means something but I don't know what. It just seemed too odd a comment and reality to have been inserted into the show to waste time.

On another forum people compared the creatures in the wood to the things in The prisoner. Is Locke still Locke?

There are still many people not revealed and of the ones we have seen, still more than one or two who haven't been glimpsed in plane-related flashbacks....

Charley's tattoo was a quote from Strawberry Fields Forever....

Sawyer was reading Watership Down...

Was Jack's final rousing speech a sign that they're going to look elsewhere on the island?

Still nothing on the radio or the polar bear.

A good episode but the flashback thing is starting to take over a little too much at the moment. I know that is character development and needed but I'd like an island-related episode. The Jack-flashback stuff left a few more unanswered questions like previous ones.

I'm still hooked but would like to see more.

Well this was Jack's episode and wow did it throw up some weird ideas.

Click For Spoiler

So are we to assume that Jack's father wasn't actually on the plane? I'm not going down the reanimated corpse track. Like Kate, more was revealed but also like Kate, you're left with a nagging thought - What did Jack do? Malpractice? Abuse of a patient? Was his father appearing the manifestation of guilt?

Is Locke now Buddha? He seemed awfully philosphical when talking to Jack. What was his "looked into the eye of the island" thing all about?!

The hairbrush thing means something but I don't know what. It just seemed too odd a comment and reality to have been inserted into the show to waste time.

On another forum people compared the creatures in the wood to the things in The prisoner. Is Locke still Locke?

There are still many people not revealed and of the ones we have seen, still more than one or two who haven't been glimpsed in plane-related flashbacks....

Charley's tattoo was a quote from Strawberry Fields Forever....

Sawyer was reading Watership Down...

Was Jack's final rousing speech a sign that they're going to look elsewhere on the island?

Still nothing on the radio or the polar bear.

A good episode but the flashback thing is starting to take over a little too much at the moment. I know that is character development and needed but I'd like an island-related episode. The Jack-flashback stuff left a few more unanswered questions like previous ones.

I'm still hooked but would like to see more.

Flashbacks = yawn-a-rama.

And the way they're unravelling the plot is becoming increasingly tiresome.

Concentration on the emotional side, is well-done. But there's still a sense that not everything/enough is getting covered. It's taking too long to say anything interesting.

It was a good episode as a standalone, but something needs to happen. And soon.

Future Episode Plots + theories

Click For Spoiler

Next weeks is the Korean couple. Appears he was a waiter and she was a high-to-do IT girl.

The week after that is Charley & Driveshaft.

It appears that the group will split shortly into light and dark. It won't appear as such at first because the group is said to split because some want to stay on the beach while others want to make base in a set of caves (which aren't empty).

Consensus at the moment seems to be that Hurley, the fat guy, was already on the island.

At least one major character is being killed before the end of the season.

Sawyer's story is still to come (hick criminal)

as it's Michael and his Son (Raised By Another is the title of that ep)

Sayid's is Solitary

and Claire also has a backstory to be revealed

One insane theory is that all the people we've had a story for are in group hypnosis together and they've made the island to face their fears.

Other say the islands represents purgatory.

Click For Spoiler

Hey there.

I liked the episode but AGAIN. Shit is moving to slow. It's all too fuckin cryptic and nothing happens. It's pissing me off to be honest. They are not giving enough for my liking.

Despin out.

Hey there.

I liked the episode but AGAIN. Shit is moving to slow. It's all too fuckin cryptic and nothing happens. It's pissing me off to be honest. They are not giving enough for my liking.

Despin out.

5 episodes in and people want answers now! Its no wonder why great shows get cancelled so quickly, I never knew people had such short attention spans these days.

Enjoyable show, the backstory stuff only adds to the mystery which is a *good* thing. Theres clearly something going on here more than these guys being trapped on a desert island. I have no problem with it being revealed slowly as long as there is a pay off eventually (unlike say, the X-Files).

Hey there.

"5 episodes in and people want answers now! Its no wonder why great shows get canceled so quickly, I never knew people had such short attention spans these days."

It has fuck all to do with having short attention spans. And I don't want "all the answers" five shows in. I would settle for the plot of the show start. Nothing so far has happened. All we've had is back story and cryptic clues hinting and nothing in particular.

Five shows in and we have not really moved on story wise from the pilot.

I don't feel like anything has happened. We just found out about a few of the characters. I'm enjoying the show. But it's as if each episode has had half an hour of plot cut out of it.

All I know is that when they finally reveal something it better be fucking amazing. Because to hold out on people like this only to have a let down revelation will suck balls.

Despin out.

It's just J.J being J.J I think.

In Alias, something happens in season one and you don't see the pay off to that until about 40 episodes later!

When you did see it, it was amazing.

He loves his insane cliffhangers too, and as Lost isn't really suited to that I think he's teasing us with tiny weeny bits of plot around reallygood back story.

To be honest, I am loving it.

I'd be happy just to see the interesting characters back stories as they are so well done. Terry O'Quinns was fantastic.

I think the man in the suit was already on the island...

The detail of him wearing a killer suit and the trainers (so he can walk about easier?) was really clever.

Sorry to piss you off Despin, but I'm going to stick myself in Laine's camp here. I'm pretty happy with how things have been going so far. Actually makes me want to go and check out Alias now :D

Sorry to piss you off Despin, but I'm going to stick myself in Laine's camp here. I'm pretty happy with how things have been going so far. Actually makes me want to go and check out Alias now :D

Me too I'm only on Ep 4(wow) got 5 to watch later tonight and Smallville.

Actually does anyone watch Telly anymore? :D

Locke? So he actually saw the beast then in 4 and yet remained schtum?Why?How's he alive?

Who's the bloke in the trees? Some survivor from the other crash?

Loads of questions and drip fed answers works IMO. Keeps you watching.

It is mildly irritating that the show is creating more questions than answering them at the end of every episode. I think it can be sustained for a while yet though - just see Alias, that was getting frighteningly predictable and "samey" until the middle of second series when it flipped the entire premise on its head. (Still reckon thats the best plot "development" in recent TV history).

Anyone else notice Kate bears a striking resemblence to Jennifer Garner?

It is mildly irritating that the show is creating more questions than answering them at the end of every episode. I think it can be sustained for a while yet though - just see Alias, that was getting frighteningly predictable and "samey" until the middle of second series when it flipped the entire premise on its head. (Still reckon thats the best plot "development" in recent TV history).

Anyone else notice Kate bears a striking resemblence to Jennifer Garner?

Yes! It is!

AMAZING!

:D

Truly jaw dropping tv that.

It's just J.J being J.J I think.

In Alias, something happens in season one and you don't see the pay off to that until about 40 episodes later!

When you did see it, it was amazing.

He loves his insane cliffhangers too, and as Lost isn't really suited to that I think he's teasing us with tiny weeny bits of plot around reallygood back story.

To be honest, I am loving it.

I'd be happy just to see the interesting characters back stories as they are so well done. Terry O'Quinns was fantastic.

I think the man in the suit was already on the island...

The detail of him wearing a killer suit and the trainers (so he can walk about easier?) was really clever.

If you've seen Epsiode five you're safe to hit the spoiler tag here, if not, and you don't want it spoilt, then don't hit that tag

Click For Spoiler
the man is Jack's father. For reasons not yet fully revealed, Jack had to go to Australia to bring his father back who was a respected surgeon but was also liable to the occasional massive drinking bender. We find out that Jack's father has passed away and in a later scene we see Jack pleading with the desk clerk to let him bring his father home so he can buried. Whether his father's body makes the flight we don't yet know but we do know that Jack found the coffin empty.

The consensus is that Hurley, the big guy, is the one who was already on the island. There are people on the Lost forum at TV without Pity who have cut stills from the show that reveal who sat where on the plane. While a couple of people are still absent from those stills, Hurley is the one that most are point toward. Further, not sure how true this is or not but someone said that in the original pilot Hurley wakes up and says something like "huh, a plane crash" but in the actual shown pilot that line was cut.

The creators are saying that almost everything is a clue, that almost nothing is coincidental. Like the comic book that someone was reading in the pilot was about a polar bear. Things like that.

I like the show a lot but I'd like to see perhaps one episode that isn't flashback dependant.

5 episodes in and people want answers now!

Not answers. Just less cryptism. At the start you can think up theories and guesses as to what might happen. But now it's just throwing too much into the pot. I don't want answers, I don't want the whole thing to be revealed. I just want something to go on. Which is why the first two pilots were great. It's not so much that these last few have been boring, just a little empty and void of explanation.

The same format is taking place, in terms of flashbacks to give a background story.

This week the flashbacks are actually quite interesting, although they probably tell a story a lot of us had already guessed.

As far as progression on the island goes there are no twists, but there is a turning point that will change the way the rest of the series goes.

At last something is starting to happen. A real sense of survival is starting to kick in. And whilst it seems odd that the initial island secrets have been left behing (at least for the time being) progression is taking place with hints at what happened before they crashed.

An episode with a bit more punch, but still hovering over its secrets. Really hope it's all worth it.

Click For Spoiler

The divide between the survivors is a brave (a maybe ineveitable?) turn around. But it has satisfied my thirst for now.

Splitting Kate and Jack up showed a lot of tention. It'll be good to see how that carries out.

Dead bodies in the cave merely opens another unexplained avenue to the pile. But netherless is still keeping me interested.

Another solid episode but I really think they need one episode set solely on the island, no flashbacks or character related building. This weeks flashback was a good one and it was an interesting dynamic between the two characters.

Click For Spoiler

Are we to assume Jack has done time?

Is the Adam & Eve reference something more? There were people on the island before the 16 years ago people?

An interesting fact is - If Jack said the plane crashed years ago, why was his father's coffin amongst the wreckage? Or was it the fact that the plane crashed and it also happened to be the resting place of the two people?

How is Locke all knowing? All seeing?

What's the deal of giving something to the island to get something back?

Again the show raised more questions and the division of the group could make things interesting, especially given who has gone where.

Still keeping me intrigued.

I think there'll be almost as many flashback episodes as there are characters. Characters that come in pairs (the siblings and the Korean couple) will get one ep between them, and everyone else will get one.

I'm enjoying this. The character and flashback stuff makes it all go at a slower pace than you might expect from a crashed-on-an-island story, but it's got me gripped. I think the chemistry between Jack and Kate is almost too obvious at the moment. I wonder if she'll be attracted to any of the other islanders, like Sawyer? Locke's my favourite character at the moment, but I expect that might change as we learn more about the others.

I'm still not convinced Lost has what it takes to last a number of years. I imagine they've created some clever plot threads for the first year or so, but feel that they might run out of ideas after that. I really hope I'm wrong.

A decent enough episode and well acted by the hobbit I thought. Still eager to get the show moving on but this had at least two island related interesting points..

Click For Spoiler

The first being - who hit Sayid? He's obviously not dead as he's seen in next weeks preview, but what's going on?

Sayid again, stating that there is no chance they should have survived the crash.

One other point - Does Sawyer know something about Jack? I got the impression he knows that Jack could have been in jail.

Episode 8 spoiler

Click For Spoiler

This is Sawyers episode and the trailer from lost-media.com showed it to be pretty brutal, with Sawyer refusing to give up an inhaler and Jack & Sayid "making" him give it up via possible torture (or a good beating)

Hey there.

Still watching... Still "enjoying".. But a fucking hand coming from off screen and hitting a cast member over the head with something...

I thought that was fuckin lame. We did the exact same shit in a school play when I was fuckin 12 years old. It was lame then.

Just seems very.. Cheap and tacky.

Despin out.

Another good episode. And glad to see Lost is still getting good ratings in the US - there's nothing worse than getting into something only for it to get cancelled.

Anyway, my only problem with the show so far is that no matter how much I like Jack - he's just too perfect and everyone loves him!