How much would you pay for Edge?

Noopacity

I don't know what that is - any more info?

blessedmagazine.com

It's a hardcore fanzine
It's like open source for writing on games. I think calling it a fanzine is slightly dismissive (probably simply the conotations thta I have for "fanzine").

Edge is a consumer product. If you no longer feel the need to purchase it, why does that matter? Is it becuase you feel it occupies a needed niche and doesn't fulfill that brief? That might have some value as a debate, but I can't see what else in this area does. I haven't mytyself detected any consioderable change in the magazines quality - though the videogame industry has become less interesting to me.

Forum veterans are always the most bitter.

What is amazing, is the anger it seems to evoke. I find it quite amazing in fact, do the people that have considerable vitriol for the magazine ever try and work out what it is that gets there goat so much?

What is amazing, is the anger it seems to evoke. I find it quite amazing in fact, do the people that have considerable vitriol for the magazine ever try and work out what it is that gets there goat so much?

Beats me. I find it good some months, a bit meh in others. It doesn't send me into a frenzy of spitting and hissing to get to a keyboard to pour forth some bile though...

I still say alot of forumers wouldn't even care this greatly if Digi were still around :rolleyes:

Well I would agree with you, but these feelings and expressions have been around and mentioned for a few years in the forum enviroment.

Not in the early days of the orginal forum. But as time went on many people started to dislike the magazine because of the state of the forum.

How many of these were regular purchasers I don't know.

I've been buying and subscribing since issue 1, but I'll admit I was a lot happier before I knew what the writers were like.

I am the poorest person in the land, and sadly for me £4 is breaking the bank. 1 pence would break my bank. The internet coverage of games has vastly improved over the past couple of years anyhow to compensate so I've got all bases covered. Check out magazines when they have something that piques my interest but these days, it's not too often.

£4 per month is hardly breaking the bank.

Of course not but surely if the magazine did not deserve the money you wouldn't continue to pay for it? Maybe it is time for Edge to re-evaluate its purpose or position, the problem is that no one I hear who mutters discontent can point to a clear way of improving the format - which suggests that they have moved on, rather than the magazine declining.

Hey, I miss Digi!

Edges best feature is the editorials, Nagoshi's in particular. He's always pretty good to read.

You need to save your £4 mate if that's the best you can find in Edge. Nagoshi, while undoubtedly a troubled alocholic genius, is a waste of 1 page of lovely high quality paper per month.

I'm not about to go and count a load of mags' pages, but I'm 99% certain that gamesTM, PCZone, PCGamer, and at least 2 PS2 mags (not sure about the current state of the GC/Xb mags) have more pages of editorial per month than Edge. And they aren't all written for kids.

I have never read GamesTM so I won't comment on that, but PCZone is fucking awful, it's like printing IGN on a bogroll. PCGamer will award 90% plus to anything that has a manual longer than 2 bog sittings and there are literally 0 PS2 mags that are worth even glancing at the cover.

Edge isn't perfect, it has ups & downs but it's a way better read than the rest of the snout-rags that adorn the shelves at Smiths.

Having said that, some issues burn fiercely in the mind long after sanity allows and I'd still like to arrange a dark alley get-together over a snooker cue with the cretin that gave UT a 7

PCZone is fucking awful, it's like printing IGN on a bogroll.

Shrug. At least the reviews are consistent. And the covermounts are good. And it has decent features. And can be genuinely amusing. And doesn't have fashion-dictated grudges against specific developers, publishers and genres.

But I guess it is still a reviews-oriented mag, which is apparently some kind of heinous crime now.

PC Zone is probably the best PC only gaming magazine currently available, even though it is far from perfect. Some of the review scores are questionable ** cough ** UNREAL 2 ** cough **, but then that's just idiots for you ;)

PC Gamer used to be the best, but I'm afraid that it has deteriorated over the last few years. I just don't trust many of the reviews anymore. There have been far too many 90 per cent + scores given to very average games.....and that just isn't right. There are also other aspects of the magazine that just annoy me (like the word "natch" for example; the worst fucking word ever invented).

Edge is the most well written and interesting games magazine that I read on a regular basis.....and it's a multi format magazine ! Trust me. Coming from someone who isn't really interested in playing console games, that's a very revealing comment.