How much would you pay for Edge?

Noopacity

Hear hear.  has he apoogised yet then?

I'm not entirely sure that I'm familiar with your chosen tongue, but no, of course he hasn't said sorry for calling me a cunt and other things, if that's what you're asking.

Edit: almost got me.

I don't take these things to heart. What I do take to heart are comments from people suggesting I was some form of villain for attempting to stand up for myself during Stuart Campbell's smear campaign.

Well fine, sorry if I did say anything abusive. Whoever did stop the DigiWorld ads last summer though, can go to hell and die. In that order.

I mean...imagine the digi-goodness if it were still here. Then I could say I don't need EDGE if it went away, ho hum :)

I'm not entirely sure that I'm familiar with your chosen tongue, but no, of course he hasn't said sorry for calling me a cunt and other things, if that's what your asking.

:) it's egnlish.

still, that's rather poor form. Seeing you both live around Bath, he could have sent you a bunch of flowers by way of apology. Or even met you up for a game of pool to make amends.

EDITed for grammar before Tony has a heart attack.

Not this time....

EDIT: He may kill you and your family for not typing "you're". What would I know, my gramma is terrible. She surely will not last the night.

Well I am trying to play tetris, read some reviews and post here at the same time while taking occasional sips of Dr Pepper you know.

Ah, you missed my unsubtle point.

The "other gaming magazines" (if only the console orientated ones) may have more pages. But, because of their audience (and the fact that a large portion of their budget goes on covermounts) their huge number of pages of editorial aren't worth tuppence.

(GamesTM is the obvious exception to the rule, but is still predominantly a previews/reviews mag - there's one 6-page feature in the current issue (if you choose not to count the retro stuff), one 4 page developer feature and a 1 page interview with a NVidia PR...).

As to other magazines (picks up copy of Empire (Jan 04) £3.30)...

226 pages. 97 of which are advertisements, or "advertorial".

Edge - Feb 04 - £4.00:

130 pages. 23 pages of advertisements (including the subs page, and the back issues pages).

I note that about half of the Edge advertisements are for other Future magazines, and that there's no "lifestyle" car or razor adverts.

Empire has 16 people mentioned under editorial. Before we even get to "contributing editors" or "contributors".

You're talking different markets, driven by different advertisers. Making the comparison is pointless.

Hey, you're entitled to your opinion, even if it is a ludicrous over-generalisation.

The point I was making in the first place was that Edge's decisions (not passive exposure to random fickle magazine purchasing trends, nor the Unalterable Way of the Universe) have resulted in it being able to offer less, and less thoroughly researched, editorial than some other magazines.

I've said this before but it probably bears repeating.

Edge is being shoehorned into something it isn't meant to be.

Edge wasn't for everyone, it was a low circulation limited audience mag mainly for those in the industry and for some interested hardcore followers of games.

It was never meant to be the mainstream buyer's guide.

The problem is that the dearth of any quality writing in most of the other mags has resulted in people flocking to Edge as a kind of refuge.

The official single format mags are now dominated by the cover disc. I lament when I look at Future's OP2SM mag when I compare them to the output of the Amiga Power team. Or even early issues of OPSM.

Arcade filled that niche quite well for a while but was unkindly killed, GamesTM is doing a very good job of filling that niche now.

I remember the mags back in the 80's being for us, the consumer. Now there seems to be too much emphasis on advertising revenue. And they wonder why circulation is decreasing.

To ask Edge to become the new Arcade/C&VG/GamesTM is a bit unfair. That was never its purpose. And if it becomes the new Arcade then it won't be Edge anymore.

As to the retro pages, I love them. Except for the Edge page where they pretend to have reviewed an old game. Reproduce some real reviews from ten years ago and dissect them instead.

Nonono. I'm wishing they go to hell, then die.

And whats wrong with that?

I think you probably said some dumb things but who am I?, the guardian of dumb people on the net? No!

I like the bloke but you're messing with Tone's fanclub. I'm not one of their number. I'd like to buy him a beer, then probably drink it, randomly. Again.

Cheers!

I think you probably said some dumb things but who am I?, the guardian of dumb people on the net? No!

I like the bloke but you're messing with Tone's fanclub. I'm not one of their number. I'd like to buy him a beer, then probably drink it, randomly. Again.

Cheers!

I'd say you want to do other things with him too hm?

Hey, you're entitled to your opinion, even if it is a ludicrous over-generalisation.

The point I was making in the first place was that Edge's decisions (not passive exposure to random fickle magazine purchasing trends, nor the Unalterable Way of the Universe) have resulted in it being able to offer less, and less thoroughly researched, editorial than some other magazines.

Yes, but you haven't given a specific example of such a magazine in the gaming marketplace (or not in the gaming marketplace for that matter), and given any kind of justification for why that improved business plan would be sustainable in the current market*.

(The examples which do come up again and again, like Arcade, don't appear to have been sustainable).

* Let alone supported by Future's management...!

I'd say you want to do other things with him too hm?

Bum him in the gob?, how original. My gf, (made up, obviously), would be so disappointed.

You missed the bit where I pointed out that I wasn't in the 'fanclub'. I have met the bloke, he's sociable and a damned good videogame writer/editor. He thinks I'm a drunken lush. A man of good judgement. And you are?

Yes, but you haven't given a specific example of such a magazine in the gaming marketplace (or not in the gaming marketplace for that matter), and given any kind of justification for why that improved business plan would be sustainable in the current market*.

(The examples which do come up again and again, like Arcade, don't appear to have been sustainable).

* Let alone supported by Future's management...!

I'm not about to go and count a load of mags' pages, but I'm 99% certain that gamesTM, PCZone, PCGamer, and at least 2 PS2 mags (not sure about the current state of the GC/Xb mags) have more pages of editorial per month than Edge. And they aren't all written for kids.

As for how to make a 'mature' non-format-specific games mag commercially successful, that's not my problem! Although Arcade is hardly conclusive proof that it can't be done, seeing as it was 1. horribly marketed, and 2. quite shit anyway, tbh.

One has to wonder whether Future's own efforts towards this end (of which there have been at least three in the last decade or so) haven't be stymied (I think that's the word) by people within Future for fear of cannibalising their other mags' readerships.

erm... I never thought i had to be in a fanclub to back up someone who I've met up with socially a few times.

and you don't have to be some kind of harlenesque genius to work out that Stuart was totally out of order during 'digigate'

Thanks for recognising my genius, it's appreciated. TM and Stu could work out their differences at the meet, it's hidden in my sig. :)

Although Arcade is hardly conclusive proof that it can't be done, seeing as it was 1. horribly marketed

Future spent a (relative) fortune marketing Arcade. And, more recently, Bang.

So I don't know how much can be put down to marketing. Emap spent a collosal amount on TV ads for the original Heat but it was only when the magazine became the OK that it was OK to read that it really took off.

So... uh... stuff.

I'm going to watch some famous people talking toss about some film awards now. Goodnight, everyone.

Future spent a (relative) fortune marketing Arcade. And, more recently, Bang.

Bang was shit though, wasn't it? It wasn't really offering anything that couldn't be found in other magazines. It was like a monthly NME, and that's already been and gone (Vox).

I'm surprised X-Ray is still around. Maybe the CD helps.