How much would you pay for Edge?

Noopacity

Edge is the only mag I look forward to each month, and the only one I'll read from cover to cover. In the recent past it did become a little stale but it probably just reflected the games climate. With an all-new team I guess we'll start to see some changes but I've always found it very interesting and an enjoyable read, and for those reasons I'd be prepared to pay up to £8 per mag. As I get an Edge sub, that'd probably end up being almost half the cover price per issue...plus you'd get some sort of free gift!

Rock on, Edge...

Edge taking shelter under Future's 'flagship title' umbrella is a cop-out in my opinion, allowing the magazine to carry less editorial, focussing on a narrower remit, than it would be able to get away with with a higher circulation.

*Less* editorial?

Have you read any other games magazines this decade?

Generic Game Magazine Blueprint.

(i) The news section: A fragmented design involving lots of pictures mixed with two sentence "news" items copied from press releases.

(ii) Previews. Find some press releases and rehash them - but not too much.

(iii) Some charts. Which are obviously going to be a couple of weeks out of date due to publishing deadlines, but give a nice plug to the publishers with top-selling games (EA).

(iv) "Wacky" games reviewers page. Because the magazine blueprint can't deviate from that set up in the Eighties too much.

(v) Reviews. Lots of pictures. Try not to mention any negative aspects of the system's biggest releases (OPSM2, Siren review (don't mention the dub)).

(vi) Letters page. *cough*.

(vii) Wacky closing page. Or failing wacky, try and get a girl to take her clothes off.

Now... as you may have guessed, I don't quite see what you're getting at.

*Less* editorial?

Have you read any other games magazines this decade?

Um, yes. Pretty much every mag on the stands has a higher page count and lower ad count. (Unless you want to single out something like Playstation Max?) And that's just games magazines. Music, film, computer, etc. etc. mags have a stupendously higher volume of editorial. With games more diverse than they have ever been, I find it difficult to see how a couple of dozen pages of heavily whitespaced copy can be sufficient to give a detailed picture of the current situation.

If literally millions of people play games in this country and Edge is only being read by 20,000 of them, Edge needs to change.

If literally millions of people play games in this country and Edge is only being read by 20,000 of them, Edge needs to change.

There are too many barriers to reach out to all those people, though, not least the £4 price tag, which, in the absence of a covermount, makes it a real hobbyist's purchase.

GameCentral has 1.2m readers but that's because a) it's free, and c) you don't have to trek to the shops or turn on your computer and go online to get it, you just tap a few buttons on your TV remote.

Edge will be changing, but it won't be turning into a massmarket videogame magazine. There are enough of those already.

There are too many barriers to reach out to all those people, though, not least the £4 price tag, which, in the absence of a covermount, makes it a real hobbyist's purchase.

GameCentral has 1.2m readers but that's because a) it's free, and c) you don't have to trek to the shops or turn on your computer and go online to get it, you just tap a few buttons on your TV remote.

Edge will be changing, but it won't be turning into a massmarket videogame magazine. There are enough of those already.

That's a shame. As popular opinion would have it that there aren't any intelligent massmarket games mags, although there have been in the past.

Maybe a job for another mag, then.

That's a shame. As popular opinion would have it that there aren't any intelligent massmarket games mags, although there have been in the past.

Maybe a job for another mag, then.

It was a job for Arcade, wasn't it?

99 NOK ? If thats at Narvesen, isn't it because they are currently doing a 25%off all international magazines?

I have never seen Edge for 99 NOK. Where do you buy it then?

Even at 99NOK, it still a rip off - like most things in Norway.

It recently increased from 85 NOK to 99 NOK, if I remember correctly. I usually buy it at one of the two Narvesen stores in Oslo S.

And yes, it is expensive. Because Narvesen pretty much has a monopoly on internatinal magazines.

Was that a big seller? I don't remember.

I'd prefer a modern-day PCG, really, but that's probably just nostalgia talking.

Probably not a huge seller, but it lasted a couple of years. Considering it was the first stab at something vaguely 'grown up' from the YS crew, it was pretty impressive IMO.

PCG?

Probably not a huge seller, but it lasted a couple of years. Considering it was the first stab at something vaguely 'grown up' from the YS crew, it was pretty impressive IMO.

PCG?

I do remember it, but not very well. It had that Dennis humour of the time, right?

PCG was Personal Computer Games, an alternative to C&VG in the mid-'80s. I remember it being the one mag I really looked forward to each month. And then it died, just like that. That really pissed me off.

I'm mad. I pay £12 a month that I can't afford for Famitsu Xbox. And I can't even read read 98% of it. As much as I bitch and moan about Edge, I have to admit, it's worth the cover price. (Tho I subscribe.) If the cover price of Edge suddenly rose to £6, I'd probably pay it. I wouldn't pay more than that though.

Later.

If it wasn't for EDGE I would not be aiming for getting into the industry. If EDGE died now after a few months I think I would have lost my interest and enthusiasm for videogames.

I love videogames not because of what they are now but because of what they promise to be, but the immaturity of the industry and the attitude of the general public towards it constantly frustrates me, only EDGE seems to understand.

They aren't more expensive. The price has gone up. Not the same thing.

It's just inflation.

I remember a packet of crisps costing 3p. Polo's were about 2p.

Sir, you are pretty damn old :)

On the topic though, some of you a very negative and I hope Mott don't take to heart some of the comments made here.

EDGE is fine the way it is, don't do too many changes or I'll cry. Then go crazy and kill kittens.

Um, yes. Pretty much every mag on the stands has a higher page count and lower ad count. (Unless you want to single out something like Playstation Max?) And that's just games magazines. Music, film, computer, etc. etc. mags have a stupendously higher volume of editorial. With games more diverse than they have ever been, I find it difficult to see how a couple of dozen pages of heavily whitespaced copy can be sufficient to give a detailed picture of the current situation.

Ah, you missed my unsubtle point.

The "other gaming magazines" (if only the console orientated ones) may have more pages. But, because of their audience (and the fact that a large portion of their budget goes on covermounts) their huge number of pages of editorial aren't worth tuppence.

(GamesTM is the obvious exception to the rule, but is still predominantly a previews/reviews mag - there's one 6-page feature in the current issue (if you choose not to count the retro stuff), one 4 page developer feature and a 1 page interview with a NVidia PR...).

As to other magazines (picks up copy of Empire (Jan 04) £3.30)...

226 pages. 97 of which are advertisements, or "advertorial".

Edge - Feb 04 - £4.00:

130 pages. 23 pages of advertisements (including the subs page, and the back issues pages).

I note that about half of the Edge advertisements are for other Future magazines, and that there's no "lifestyle" car or razor adverts.

Empire has 16 people mentioned under editorial. Before we even get to "contributing editors" or "contributors".

You're talking different markets, driven by different advertisers. Making the comparison is pointless.

On the topic though, some of you a very negative and I hope Mott don't take to heart some of the comments made here.

I don't take these things to heart. What I do take to heart are comments from people suggesting I was some form of villain for attempting to stand up for myself during Stuart Campbell's smear campaign.