How much would you pay for Edge?

Noopacity

Why?

And do you mean they are vital to the games industry or the magazine industry?

Do you mean the new line-up are vital or the team who recently left?

Vital to the games industry at this point in time and "writers" was a more general assertion about those that do and have written for Edge regularly.

It's needed at the moment because we rest on the cusp of video games being taken even more seriously by those that haven't been playing them for as long as we all have. The industry needs an intelligent critical source to hold up to those that still question the worth of games and while I don't think for a second that Edge is the only place to go for this, it's certainly the most public and when at its best, its the highest quality you can find.

Whatever you think of Edge editorially, it's hard not to respect their intentions as journalists and we need that intention more than ever.

It's needed at the moment because we rest on the cusp of video games being taken even more seriously by those that haven't been playing them for as long as we all have.

I'm not sure what you mean by that.

When you say 'vital', what are the two scenarios you envisage; with & without Edge?

I'm not arguing BTW, just trying to understand.

I love EDGE. I have all the issues. It's genuinely the only magazine that I look forward to receiving in the post each month.

But quite honestly, I don't think it's a vital piece of journalism at all. It preaches to the converted. It's not a mainstream publication at all (and I wouldn't have it any other way).

If anything, the small but regular bits and pieces in the daily newspress is a much, much more vital thing to have remain. Yes, I'm well aware that half of what the papers write about gaming is sub-par, but if I was a regular consumer (and whilst I'm about as regular as they come, I been using the things for so long, I think I have pretty much got my tastes sorted by now!) the press is where I'd want to get my stuff from.

ANd in that respect, I suppose mags like Gamesmaster and CVG are 'more vital' than EDGE could ever be.

But, I wouldn't buy anything else!

I still can't understand people saying "£4? RIPOFF" all the time.

Four quid. Four measly quid. The same four quid that pays for the entrance fee to a crap club, the same four quid that'll pay for the taxi to take you home, the same four quid that bought you two measly watered down bottles of beer at the bar.

Four quid. It's hardly breaking the bank once a month.

I still can't understand people saying "£4? RIPOFF" all the time.

Four quid. Four measly quid. The same four quid that pays for the entrance fee to a crap club, the same four quid that'll pay for the taxi to take you home, the same four quid that bought you two measly watered down bottles of beer at the bar.

Four quid. It's hardly breaking the bank once a month.

Indeed.

It's quite frightening how precious some people get over the mag when one issue isn't as good as some of the others.

I used to be quite happy to pay the £4 price for each issue.

Unfortunately a number of things happened:

- Games TM was released, offering a sub to their mag for a mere £2 per issue

- The articles in Edge became more and more depressing to read. Instead of being a magazine dedicated to all that was good about gaming nearly every article was just so negative. After reading Edge I was actually put off gaming!

Rob

I stopped buying Edge a few months ago, not because of any perceived drop in quality but I just seem to be going through one of my occasional drops of interest in gaming. I expect I will come back to it, but after I stopped reading the NME 3 years ago (and that was after real disillusionment with the rag) I've started listening to a much more varied range of music, and I enjoy music ALOT more.

Edge doesn't share the NMEs ridiculous editorial policies so I can't expect the scales to fall from my eyes quite so dramatically but hopefully the break will rekindle the gaming flames.

Because I've sullied the name of the scripture? Christ, get some perspective, you fool. Not everyone is going to love a magazine as bombastic and obnoxious as Edge.

But the point is you are just using big old words, without using them to give examples of them in the magazine.

At the end of the day, I don't begrudge you not liking the magazine, but using words like 'bombastic' and 'obnoxious' without some sort of backup to the claim just doesn't cut it. And whilst I'll freely admit EDGE has certainly gone through periods of being slightly duller than it might have been, most of the time that's due to the state of the market as opposed to whatever current team is working at the magazine at the time.

Where is the obnoxiousness in EDGE? All I've ever seen is a magazine giving out some news, giving some opinions on games, and doing so in the usual 3rd person style that has been seen throughout its lifespan.

I'm not sure what you mean by that.

When you say 'vital', what are the two scenarios you envisage; with & without Edge?

I'm not arguing BTW, just trying to understand.

I suppose I see an industry without Edge as struggling to consolidate its journalistic talent. Sure, it's got a low readership but you can bet it's a point of reference for a wider range of game journalism and criticism. Without this point of reference for a truly adult take on issues in games and the development of the medium, I think we would lack a key example in expressing the legitimacy of games in general.

Gaming is not short of people championing the form, but few have the ability to express it quite so informatively and intelligently. Edge has been pushing the boundaries of games reporting for ten years and it's important that this continues until the rest of the journalistic world adopts a similarly mature critical language to reflect where games are going.

I have only been buying it for about 3 years or so, but I still enjoy it immensely. I would probably pay up to £10 for it if it would stop otherwise. I would just buy one less cd a month or something.

I suppose I see an industry without Edge as struggling to consolidate its journalistic talent. Sure, it's got a low readership but you can bet it's a point of reference for a wider range of game journalism and criticism. Without this point of reference for a truly adult take on issues in games and the development of the medium, I think we would lack a key example in expressing the legitimacy of games in general.

Gaming is not short of people championing the form, but few have the ability to express it quite so informatively and intelligently. Edge has been pushing the boundaries of games reporting for ten years and it's important that this continues until the rest of the journalistic world adopts a similarly mature critical language to reflect where games are going.

Don't forget to PM me your address for that £10.

In Norway?

I only pay 99 NOK in every store that stocks it in Oslo, which equals around £7.50.

99 NOK ? If thats at Narvesen, isn't it because they are currently doing a 25%off all international magazines?

I have never seen Edge for 99 NOK. Where do you buy it then?

Even at 99NOK, it still a rip off - like most things in Norway.

A magazine can have a decently sized readership and still have high quality content.

Edge taking shelter under Future's 'flagship title' umbrella is a cop-out in my opinion, allowing the magazine to carry less editorial, focussing on a narrower remit, than it would be able to get away with with a higher circulation.

The incessant mawkish nostalgia would also do well to be reined in - no one really gives enough of a fuck about some 8-bit era coder or old machine to justify 10+ page features, especially when it's primarily composed of stuff readily available online.

Noopacity: Where did you get that rather odd take on the 'industry's view of Edge? Edge, perhaps?