How much would you pay for Edge?

Noopacity

I was just thinking about the £14 price tag for 1-Up and wondered how much I would be willing to pay for Edge if they threatened to stop production.

In all honesty, and I'm not an Edge evangelist, I put my limit at around £100 yearly subscription. If a figure had to be put on it. My point is, I genuinely think it's a dying breed (or maybe a breed that never properly took off) and it would be a real loss if it stopped, in the light of the diminishing print market.

So what of everyone else? How essential do you see Edge in the modern video game world? If Future threatened to halt production because the continued descent of magazine revenues, what would forumites pay to keep Edge going exactly as it is today? Throw in a few reasons as you go to keep things interesting.

£4, as it is, is already a right fucking rip-off. I paid £3.95 for the most recent issue of Uncut and that had a free CD. Music magazines cost far cheaper, and are usually of 'acceptable' quality - why should we pay £4 for a mere games mag? I don't care for your fancy paper, goddamnit. Rant rant rant...

I was just thinking about the £14 price tag for 1-Up and wondered how much I would be willing to pay for Edge if they threatened to stop production.

In all honesty, and I'm not an Edge evangelist, I put my limit at around £100 yearly subscription. If a figure had to be put on it. My point is, I genuinely think it's a dying breed (or maybe a breed that never properly took off) and it would be a real loss if it stopped, in the light of the diminishing print market.

So what of everyone else? How essential do you see Edge in the modern video game world? If Future threatened to halt production because the continued descent of magazine revenues, what would forumites pay to keep Edge going exactly as it is today? Throw in a few reasons as you go to keep things interesting.

You're Tony Mott and I claim my £5... :)

You pay £14 for Edge? 

I pay £10 and its import 

No it's for "1-Up" the Fanzine. The point being that it's meant to be a high quality games fan magazine and requires the hefty price tag to keep it going, what with good design ethos, low mass printing etc.

I know we all have disagreements with Edge, but as far as see, it remains the only place for good articles, reasoned reviews and an all round sense of quality which a games industry in transition needs as a hallmark for intelligent, adult criticism.

And with a supposedly quality forum that still has responses like "Shut Up" to posts, maturity is severely wanting.

I wouldn't pay anything for it. The pretentious babbling of a bunch of poorly dressed graduates that want so much to believe in the 'art' of videogames? It's embarrassing. And blandly written.

never has someones post reflected their user name so perfectly

I remember Polos costing 12p.

Things get more expensive - deal with it.

But so should the quality too, theres no reason for polos to be more expensive as its all made with machines anyways, its just greed for profit, i cant see how making polos has become more expensive than what it used to be, although i guess there could be some factors.

But my reason is you can buy nuts, or some girlie mag or a music mag for half the cost of a computer games mag.

But so should the quality too, theres no reason for polos to be more expensive as its all made with machines anyways, its just greed for profit, i cant see how making polos has become more expensive than what it used to be, although i guess there could be some factors.

But my reason is you can buy nuts, or some girlie mag or a music mag for half the cost of a computer games mag.

They aren't more expensive. The price has gone up. Not the same thing.

It's just inflation.

I remember a packet of crisps costing 3p. Polo's were about 2p.

But i can still buy many other non gaming related magazines for half the price of edge, okay i'll accept that due to the high quality paper and printing methods on the cover that a price increase is needed, but i still dont see why gaming mags are so much more expensive.

EDGE is the only games maga I buy each month with the odd GamesTM now and then and maybe one of the official mags dpending on the demo disk.

If EDGE found it had to increase the cover price I would rather they drop the quality of the paper used, instead of a price increase. I don't see why i should pay more but get the same in content. The magazine is packed with industry ads anyway, a fair amount of revenue must come that.

In the past when this question was raised a number of EDGE fans stated they would prefer the price to go up than the paper quality drop. I don't understand this way of thinking. I don't care if the paper used is the best quality in the world, it's the content what matters which to be honest fluctuates a lot. If anything, they should use the extra money to get beter quality screenshots. Some of the screen grabs used for reviews are terrible. When doing previews, the shots are of good quality. I assume them to be provided by PR and/or mock ups.

But i can still buy many other non gaming related magazines for half the price of edge, okay i'll accept that due to the high quality paper and printing methods on the cover that a price increase is needed, but i still dont see why gaming mags are so much more expensive.

You have to take into account a number of things:

Readership - a lot more people probably buy the music mags and the new lads mags you mentioned.

Overheads - A magazine like NUTS/Zoo Weekly doesn't actually have a lot of 'production value'. They consist mainly of photos and content light articles. Games mags particulary EDGE feature more in depth and specific content.

Not that I'm defending EDGE. I would hate for the price to go up unnecessarily. I think for some, a higher price gives a more elite feel to the mag. I wouldn't agree.

but i still dont see why gaming mags are so much more expensive.

Do you have ANY idea of the economics of magazines?

Not that I do, but I can make a guess.

Edge has a fairly low circulation but uses very high quality paper & fancy printing techniques. That means a relatively high cover price. Ad revenue reflects the circulation I would imagine.

I don't even think the current price of Edge fares that badly against other magazines. Take "Q" for example, that's about £3.50 last time I checked and that has a huge circulation. Or Loaded et al, they're starting to breach the three quid mark and they're FULL of adverts.

But this has raised some interesting questions: does the position of Edge need to be strengthened to provide the gaming world with at least one hub of quality journalism or do you see the expansion of interest from broadsheets and culture magazines as the way forward? What are the old Edge team doing now? Do they plan to set up another magazine or will we see their names popping up in the Guardian etc?

I still see it as vitally important that the writers of Edge have a presence in the industry, preferably in one place (for now) and preferably with good resources.

I didn't renew my subscription. After multiple complaints they still can't deliver it within two weeks after the street date even though Amazon or Play.com (hell, even DVD Boxoffice) can do it within a week. This combined with the ridiculous high price of a European subscription (which makes it about as expensive as buying it in the shop) made me give 'em the finger and stop my subscription.

I'll browse through it in the shop now, and will buy it if it's any good and leave it if it's not. Like the last few issues, which were quite ... stale.