The best robocop film?

DJ Sack

Is it the first or the second? (the 3rd while nice is no where up there on these 2)

For me, im not to sure, id probably say the second, although the first is very close behind. The first has that gritty feel and some very disturbing scenes like where murphys hand gets shot and explodes.

But i love the 2nd one purely for the big fight scenes between kane and robocop, the robot is ed-209 but built to work, its powerful, almost unstopable and really feels like its a non stopping killing machine. Some of the scenes where they show the brain in the jar are just as horrific as the ones in the first film, but can be looked at in a slightly comedic way.

The way the city becomes more over run than before, before the city was dark, but this is total hell, you can see the way that the drug affects the population and the area. Plus some of the shoot out scenes are out of this world. I love it. But what about you?

First is the best, by a long way. The satire and black comedy is just right. ED-209 still stands out as a great villain and the set-piece shootout in the drugs factory is awesome.

I really like the second though, especially, as you say, the fight with Kane. The film is very watchable and even touching when the kid gangster dies. I think they could have made a lot more of the story when Robocop's prime directives are erased, as he would have had no enforced rules but nothing really came of that. Still, there were some funny bits (some of the new prime directives they added - not splashing people by driving through puddless and the "Thank you for not smoking!" bit - which got used in our university cinema showings! :( ).

The third is so bad, I haven't even got it out of the box from the Trilogy DVD. :lol:

CJ

Oh dont get me wrong, i like the first one for all the sentimental stuff like him having flash backs and the sadness of it all and the grittyness of the ending and everything that happens there, i just feel the second one takes what the first has to offer and puts a metal shell around it and a nice gun.

The original by a long way.

Great set pieces (ED-209 ripping a company executive a new orifice, the Robocop vs ED-209 fight, Murphy dying etc), the whole resurrection thing and the fact that Robocop is just Judge Dredd in a metal suit.

Great film.

The first one, lunatic. I've got the DVD trilogy set (£20 in GAME, worth it for the first film alone...) and the second two are geniune "What the fucl were they thinking?" material in comparison. Fun straight-to-video mandess, sure, but nowhere near the same level.

While I'd definitely say the first film is best, I can see where the attraction for the second film comes from. It feels similar to the first, yet distinct in it's own way.

The "Kane's brain in a jar" thing can't be taken seriously at all though, surely. It's done purely for comic effect. Think of the whole film as a dark comedy, a comic book with real actors. Brilliant though. I love the way the camera pans up to the brain, complete with dramatic fanfare, then shows you the surgeons casually playing with his brainless head, then it suddenly cuts to the guy with the violin playing "Born To Be Wild". :blink:

The stop-motion Kane is just great, the last 20 mins of Robocop 2 are just brilliant action, showing what happens if you combine a bulldozer/tank/the weaponary of a small army with the brain of a psychotic criminal overlord.

Three is a disaster. :blink:

Why do you even need to ask?

It's like asking which is the best Die Hard film.

No it isn't, because you could at least have a *crack* at a debate with regards to that one. With the Robocop movies, the first one is so far out of the other two's league that they're not even playing the same game.

:ph34r: It seems I got here a little late, but yes, without question the first Robocop films rules the roost. Robocop 2 is far from being a bad film, but when you read the original ideas Michael Miner and Edward Neumeier had, regarding a follow up, 2 does seem like a huge disappointment. They had basically sketched out an idea where OCP were ready to place complete control of the city, into the hands of a Skynet type system, things presumably went tits up, and Robocop had to sort it out. A variation of the idea was used as the basis for the 1994 TV series, which certainly had it's moments (both good & bad).

To cut a long story short, Orion pictures wanted a sequel to Robocop out ASAP, but when the original creative team said they weren't ready, Orion simply hired the creative team of:

Frank Miller

(story & Screenplay)

Walon Green (Screenplay)

and of course Irvin Kirshner as director, who was so taken aback by the critical venom which was spat at him from all directions upon the films release, he vowed to never direct another film.

Needless to say, Robocop 2 missed a lot of the spirit and biting satirical humour of the first, and simply compensated with bigger guns and more violence. It certainly had it's moments though. The scene between Murphy and Ellen is superbly handled, Robocop 2 is one beast of a machine, and the finale is extremely satisfying.

Though, whilst Robocop 2 usually walks the line of opinion of being above average - below average, Robocop 3 incurs the wrath of fans, critics and people who have vaguely heard of the film alike. It's painfully obvious to see what went wrong. Orion basically told Fred Dekker (director) and Frank Miller (screenplay) to make a Kid friendly movie, as a lot of kids like the character, and they want the film to get PG13 rating. So, cue a friendly, none violent Robocop film, where the number of people shot can actually be counted on one hand. To add to the grief of Robocop 3, Orion pictures was in serious financial trouble, and the budget awarded to Robocop 3 was miniscule for what the original script envisioned. Cue an extremely shoddy Jet-pack scene, watered down action, a two year delay in release (as Orion went bankrupt in the meantime) and total apathy from the cinema going public.

Yet, for all that was wrong with Robocop 3, I still have great fondness for it. It may be because it was the only Robocop film I've ever seen in the cinema, but I maintain a lot of people neglect to give the story the credit it deserved. Seeing Robocop side with the Rebels and fight against OCP was a logical progression of the series. Robert Burke did a damn fine job at stepping into Wellers shoes, the Basil Poledouris's score is as solid as the first, and the level of acing from CCH Pounder, Rip Torn and John Castle is greatly suited to the characters they represent (Burtha, The Old Man and Mc Daggat respectively).

So yeah, the Robocop franchise has been dragged through the mud over the years. The only recent productions have been a four part TV film series: Prime Directives. Not bad, suffered from a terrible D-list cast, (aside from the five main characters) a crippling budget (15 million will not get you 8 hours of sizzling high tech action) and a story which poaches nearly every good idea from the original TV series, and then adds a darker twist. Again it has it's moments, it certainly returns Robocop to his darker roots, but he is shown to be so weak throughout all four films, it begins to strip away his hero persona, and thusly, you begin to care less and less about the character. The action is well directed though, Page Fletcher does a good job of Robocop, the Murphy/Cable (his first partner), back story is well told, and the general flow of the film is up-beat enough to keep you interested.

There have been mumblings and flat out statements from Verhoeven et al, that the original team would love to work on a new Robocop film. Now that would be brilliant, it's one thing to have inevitable sequels come out for a successful franchise, but it's quite another for the original team to come back, specifically to rectify the damage done to the character in recent years. Who knows, they may actually give them a budget which doesn't disappear once they've paid for the rental of the Robo- suit :blink:

Shame the game turned out to be pish, though to be fair, it is authentic, and for a fan, quite enjoyable pish :blink: I just wish the Robocop Motion Master Ride was running somewhere. I spent an entire day at Granada Studios on that B)

and of course Irvin Kirshner as director, who was so taken aback by the critical venom which was spat at him from all directions upon the films release, he vowed to never direct another film

Which was a damned shame as he directed the best Star Wars movie ever made.

I prefer the first film just for the way they viewed 1992 as still being a yuppie orientated society, when in fact the world recession was in full effect in 1992 and most of those OCP yuppies would have chucked themselves out of the top floor of their building when their stocks crashed.

I prefer the first film just for the way they viewed 1992 as still being a yuppie orientated society, when in fact the world recession was in full effect in 1992 and most of those OCP yuppies would have chucked themselves out of the top floor of their building when their stocks crashed.

Actually, there is a scene in Robocop 3 which shows OCP execs leaping from windows and shooting themselves. I'd certainly say 3 had the better story over 2.

They should finally do Robocop Vs Terminator. But how would that work in the realms of film? Anyway, as has been rightfully said many times before, Robo would open a can of whoopass on the T-800's candy ass.

I doubt it. RoboCop can't even RUN.

Robocop is one of the best sci-fi films ever made. It brilliantly mixes characterization, acting and back-story with action and drama.

But I do wish I could watch the ITV censored version they made to make it “kid friendly”. I saw it on TV years ago and it was just so funny, even then. Today (with a more cynical mind) I’d probably giggle myself silly: “Heck you, mother crusher!”

Robocop 2 is a... shame. I haven’t seen it in ages, but my housemate refused to watch the first movie, having been so emotionally scarred by the sequel it couldn’t even enter his mind it would be good. Thankfully he came out pleasantly surprised. :blink: