IGNORED

Beyond Good and Evil

Mercury

For £20 it's very good value. Great start to the game, lovely graphics and paced well enough. Only problem I had with the PS2 version was the controls were slightly too unresponsive for me. But, you learn to live with it.

I notice GAME will be selling this on the XBOX for £19.99 from Friday. Is it worth picking up?

I personally paid $20 for it (note the change in currency) for the Gamecube and it was worth every penny. Blasted through it in about 11 hours but enjoyed every minute of it. It's a quality title.

I personally paid $20 for it (note the change in currency) for the Gamecube and it was worth every penny. Blasted through it in about 11 hours but enjoyed every minute of it. It's a quality title.

11 hours??

I'm a little over 9 hours in and I haven't even taken the first photo on the Slaughterhouse mission. (I'm close to it though.)

Am I on the last mission, or have I just been playing the game oh so incredibly slowly?

This one gets my highest recommendation, I played it solidly (US GC version) from Sunday and finished it Monday night. I have to say a real joy from start to finish, and real emotional attachment to the characters as well.

It's a steal at £20 (though if you want it cheaper, then it's about £14 after postage from videogamesplus in canada on the GC)

11 hours??

I'm a little over 9 hours in and I haven't even taken the first photo on the Slaughterhouse mission. (I'm close to it though.)

Am I on the last mission, or have I just been playing the game oh so incredibly slowly?

IIRC you're pretty close to the final part of the game once you finish that mission.

Oh yea, for £20 it's great value, and a staunchly enjoyable and endearing game. Like JPickford says, some gameplay elements are a bit passe and boring (the combat mostly), but it's got a great deal of other things for you to do and places to explore to offset that. Taking piccies is surprisingly enjoyable, too.

Mine has just been dispatched so that should be here tomorrow, good ol' Gameplay.

Mine has been dispatched too. But I chose second class delivery so I would not expect to receive it until Friday. Which is probably a good thing as I have far too much work to do anyway.

11 hours??

i did it in around 9h 30-40mins.

disapointed that it's such a short game but it's still great <_<

11 hours??

You're probably just playing it slowly. which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I finished it in about 8 hours and didn't find it that great a game. Well worth £20 though, just not as awesome as everyone else seems to think it is. People have been going on about the exploration being what they liked about it so it sounds like you're on the right track - I found it too small for proper exploration, especially since you get turned back by robots a lot, earlier in the game. Once you finished it though, you can't go back to finish off your pictures, so don't neglect that, it's quite fun. Didn't find the stealth bits very enjoyable either as often you HAVE to adopt stealth, you're not given an option. Discovery means instant death. I prefer the option, as in MGS.

You're probably just playing it slowly. which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I finished it in about 8 hours and didn't find it that great a game. Well worth £20 though, just not as awesome as everyone else seems to think it is. People have been going on about the exploration being what they liked about it so it sounds like you're on the right track - I found it too small for proper exploration, especially since you get turned back by robots a lot, earlier in the game. Once you finished it though, you can't go back to finish off your pictures, so don't neglect that, it's quite fun. Didn't find the stealth bits very enjoyable either as often you HAVE to adopt stealth, you're not given an option. Discovery means instant death. I prefer the option, as in MGS.

I can see why you might not have enjoyed it so much. The onus on stealth can be a bit much.

I haven't done a great deal of exploring. I explored one cave, and I have done some of the mini-missions to get pearls from the Polive type people (I forget thier name) but really, because of the stealth thing, I'm almost planning every room I go in, if you get me. I suppose everyone does that to an extent, but I seem to be formulating a plan, checking the plan, and then re-making the plan to check that the original IS in fact, the best way through the room.

**Slight Spoiler**

Being this slow, you can imagine how relieved I was to find that there wasn't a time limit on rescuing Pey'j.

I haven't done a great deal of exploring. I explored one cave, and I have done some of the mini-missions to get pearls from the Polive type people (I forget thier name) but really, because of the stealth thing, I'm almost planning every room I go in, if you get me. I suppose everyone does that to an extent, but I seem to be formulating a plan, checking the plan, and then re-making the plan to check that the original IS in fact, the best way through the room.

That is probably the best way to do it. To its credit, there are areas where you can charge in and neutralise the guards, or if you're handy with the glove you can take them out quickly, but those areas where I had to adopt stealth I just got annoyed and wanted to rush through it as quickly as possible. So instead of planning it I progressed by trial and error.

I also found the hovercraft controls to be horrendous, but that's probably just me.

Edit: I do want to add that the game does have some really nice touches, it is very atmospheric, and probably a lot better than most other games. The thing is, I never buy shit games, so I don't really have a point of reference. I never buy a game I haven't read about extensively, so in my whole collection there's never been a dud. So when I'm saying I didn't think BG & E was that great, I'm comparing it to Metroid Prime, GTA3, Halo etc, not to MoH: Rising Sun, and all the myriad of other average games out there, which I simply don't have the time or money to waste on.