IGNORED

What current stuff is the highly desirable collectable of tomorrow?

dumpster

I'm haunted by an old post of mine in the trading folder for a load of game stuff I wanted to get rid of.  I felt a bit rude asking £50 for my Castlevania Symphony of the Night but it had the art book and audio CD so I felt it was worth more.  Thank god that didn't sell - I still have it to this day. I'm also reminded of the day my store got a delivery of 10 MultiMega consoles to retail at £50 each, long after they were considered current. Should have bought the lot of those.  And also I was party to a Magic The Gathering group who told me about buying sealed boxes and I was like, yeah, whatever, keep your shitty card game and I see the articles about how a sealed box now sells for ludicrous money. 

And a complete set of the demo disks that only came with the demonstration pods for Gamecube.  Fucking hell..  three quid?  Was I poor or something?

So what do you regret getting rid of, and what should be be wrapping in bubble wrap and putting in the loft today?

Suggested browsing: https://www.pricecharting.com/

I'm not sitting on any gold but I was pretty surprised by its guideline for PAL Persona 3 FES ($92 loose) - it's on my shelf at the moment with its box and manual, sharing company with vanilla P3 and Portable.

I did give away a bunch of old PS2 and 360 stuff years ago, but nothing that really has value. God Hand maybe? 🤔

I got rid of my whole retro collection 4 or 5 years ago now. Got a good wedge of cash for it and don't regret getting rid of anything. I was stuck in the cupboards not getting played and for me games and consoles should be played not squirrelled away!

Not sure about todays consoles/games. What with dependency on digital downloads etc and online servers being up guessing the future value is questionable? Same with mainstream consoles to be honest when they are selling in the huge numbers they do are probably of negligible value.

I think there maybe some things when kept in boxes etc might be worth something in years to come... like the Mini NES/SNES type things or others that have a fairly limited run.  I've got these that are signed on the bottom by the hardware designer (Masayuki Uemura)  when he visited the National Gaming Museaum in Sheffield a few years back. Those I will never part with! :) Thankfully they don't take up much space!

Yeah, I think the mini-consoles might be worth a few quid as they're stand-alone units with appeal in their own right. I think toy collectors and retro tech collectors may be interested in them as well as retro gamers.

As for games - maybe the Limited Run stuff that doesn't get physical editions otherwise?

Other than that, I think Nintendo will always have a collector base. I think the Wii U is where it's at for Nintendo stuff. Fairly small print runs, a console that's still fairly convenient to use (as it's HD) and some of the collectors editions, bundled with Amiibos, are quite large and impressive shelf pieces.

For the record, here's the post from 2006

PS1:

Castlevania, symphony of the night £50

Guitar Freeks (Japanese with Spine Card) £10

3rd Party Guitar Controller £10

Metal Gear Solid USA version. £5

Net Yaroze compilation CD from Magazine, including the excellent Rocks 'n Gems Boulderdash clone. £5

Total Drivin (Promo - full game in Case) £5

Command and Conquer (not in original Box, but in a case with manual and colour inlays) £2

One £4

Resident Evil Directors Cut £4

Parodius £15

Time Crisis (no gun) £5

Ridge Racer £4

Um Jammer Lammy (blockbuster box, full artwork, but instructions on back of case) £7

R-Type Delta Promo in proper promo box. £7

Point Blank 2 Promo in proper promo box £6

Gran Turismo 2 Promo £3

Everybody's Golf promo in proper promo box £4

Jungle Book Groove Party promo in proper promo box £3

No-one Can stop Mr Domino £25

Tetris Plus promo in proper promo box £5

PS2:

GT3 Circuit Breaker cheat CD for Gran Turismo 3 £3

Primal Promo £3

Shox Promo £4

Ghosthunter £3

Mafia Promo in proper promo box £3

Redcard Promo in proper promo box £3

Britney's Dance Beat promo in proper promo box £3

Commando2 Promo in proper promo Box £3

Herdy Gerdy promo in proper promo box £3

This is football 2002 promo in proper promo box £3

Vampire Night Promo £3

Ridge Racer V £4

Virtua Fighter 4 Promo in proper DVD size case (with proper inlay) £4

Def Jam Vendetta Promo in proper DVD size case (with proper inlay) £4

Gran Turismo 3 Promo in proper DVD size case (with proper inlay) £4

Extermination Promo in proper DVD size case (with proper inlay) £4

Parappa The Rapper 2 Promo in proper DVD size case (with proper inlay) £10

Dreamcast:

Tony Hawkes Skateboarding (CD and Manual in slip case) £3

Soul Calibur £10

Bangai O £10

Resident Evil Code Veronica £10

House of the Dead 2 £10

Sonic Adventure £5

Mr Driller £10

Virtua Tennis 2 £10

Planet Ring £3

Confidential Mission £10

Shenmue £20

Shenmue 2 £25

Toy Commander £10

Jet Set Radio £10

Bass Fishing £5

Chu Chu Rocket £3

Hydro Thunder £10

Fur Fighters £15

Space Channel 5 £15

18 Wheeler £10

Daytona £15

Ferarri F355 £15

Sega Rally 2 £5

Dreamkey V3 £3

Dynamite Deka 2 (Die Hard Arcade 2 on Japanese - Dynamite Cop) £5

Gameboy Advance

Boulderdash EX £15

Metroid fusion £10

WarioWare Twisted USA £15

Saturn:

Sega Ages £5 (Outrun, Space Harrier and Afterburner)

Fighting Vipers (disk only) £2

Winter Heat (proper Sega Promo - totally blank looking silver disk) £3

N-Gage:

Rayman 3 £3

Philips CD-I: (*=movie)

*Penn and Teller Don't try this at home (Video CD Compatible) £3

*Addams Family Values £3

Crime Patrol £10

Dragons Lair £10

Dragons Lair 2 £10

*Star Trek 4 £3

2-Unlimited - Beyond Limits £3

Lemmings £10

*Patriot Games £3

Hulk Hogan - Thunder in Paradise £5

*Top Gun £3

Palm Springs Open Golf £5

*Black Rain £3

Mad Dog Mcree £10

Mad Dog McRee 2 £10

*Bon Jovi - an evening with £5

Space Ace £10

*Flavia The Heretic (VCD movie of crazy Nun Action!) £2

ALL THE CDI STUFF ABOVE - £70 all in!!!!!

3DO:

Demolition Man (Top game, with specially recoded footage from the actors for the game. loved this!) £5

Stuff that I have previously sold on this forum:

Ace Combat Promo in proper DVD size case £5

Rez £10 (SOLD)

Flashback £10 (SOLD)

The 7th Guest £5 (SOLD)

Chaos Control £5 (SOLD)

Kurushi Final (Promo - full game in case) £6 SOLD

Parappa the Rapper Promo in proper promo box £10

Sam and Max Hit The Road and Day of the Tentacle Double Pack £5 (SOLD)

Frequency Promo in proper DVD size case £7 (SOLD)

Skullmonkeys £6

Space Channel 5 promo £5

I-Ninja Promo £5

Time Crisis 2 Promo in proper DVD size case £5

Gamesmaster Gore Special - uncut (20 mins longer than TV version ) Video CD £5 SOLD

Big pile of Gamecube demo disks.

Virtua Fighter 2 PS2 Promo limited edition.

Burn Cycle £10 (SOLD)

Smackdown (signed by someone called Lita - OPSM prize) £10

The 3DS and Wii U eShops are closing in March. 3DS games in particular are going to absolutely fucking sky-rocket in price on the second hand market. 

the Wii U might rise in price for collectors, but I'd argue the most desirible stuff has been ported over to Switch. But the 3DS! A still popular system, and the stupid closure of it's online shop is going to feed FOMO massively. 

IF Nintendo are stupid enough, and in however many years from now, the Switch successor is NOT backwards compatible, and they shutter the Switch eShop, expect the same thing there. Nintendo locking away it's massive legacy once again. 

Definitely have a few regrets. Picked up loads of Pal Saturn games around early  00’s from gamestation retro. Some for as little as  20p, nothing cost more than a tenner, burning rangers, panzer dragoon saga,  KOF 95, Megaman etc. Traded in for a PS2. Same with my Japanese Saturn around 2010, had the likes of SF alpha 3, Steam hearts and Prikura Daisakusen on it which are worth a few quid these days. Only recently got back into the Saturn and now realise there’s lots of games I did own or could have owned that are way beyond my means now. Actually Saturn collecting seems to be a minefield these days with a handful of eBay  sellers inflating the market with BINs that are many times what the actual game is worth or would fetch on auction. 

Regarding current consoles I think the Switch will become the most collectible in the future with some of its releases. The 3D Mario all stars and a number of its shmups will be worth a few quid in years to come. 

I think that there's a good chance that the idea of collecting might well change. Perhaps not older people, like people here, but younger people coming up, I wonder if there'll be as much value placed upon owning stuff full stop, let alone collecting plastic boxes that hold what could regularly become an instruction to download something from a digital storefront.  Younger people are -I think- much more likely to pay for a music subscription than to buy an album, or to pay for netflix rather than buy a Blu Ray - Gamepass might not be as ubiquitous as Spotify, but in general, I think ideas about ownership could be very different in future generations.

The price of Conker's Bad Fur Day on the N64 seems to have held firm for a while now whenever I occasionally check on it, which I think is probably the only valuable gaming thing I own. If you broke that down for parts and sold all the bits individually apparently some mad bastard would be willing to part with the guts of £400 for it. I guess what I'm saying is there must be a huge element of alchemy to this sort of thing as it was an absolute shiter. 

26 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

the Wii U might rise in price for collectors, but I'd argue the most desirible stuff has been ported over to Switch.

I doubt that'll make a difference to collectability. The Wii U is Nintendo's worst selling console and there is only 205 physical games released on it. I think it's all going to be really sought after, particularly those games with WiiU specific gameplay features.

2 minutes ago, MW_Jimmy said:

I doubt that'll make a difference to collectability. The Wii U is Nintendo's worst selling console and there is only 205 physical games released on it. I think it's all going to be really sought after, particularly those games with WiiU specific gameplay features.

Yeah, the Wii U has hallmarks of being collectable, due both to relative scarcity, and the fact that the hardware offers benefits that can not be easily replicated by ports and emulation. NintendoLand, for example, enhances its gameplay with stuff that can not feasibly be done on another console.

It also is a really nice bit of kit to look at - sleek, simplistic, and quite minimalist for what it is.

Some of those Armored Core games fetch a pretty penny online since the ACVI announcement.

ACV is un-emulatable currently also.

As far as current stuff goes, everything is so digital now I can hardly think of anything. I think the most 'modern' generation to have some sort of scarcity about it is PS3/360/Wii, but starting with PS4 on you can usually buy it digital.

edit of course digital stores get shutdown also, but the silver lining is that usually happens when emulation capabilities catch up. Tho I don't know how much of an impact that has on collector value.

A highly specific thing that comes to mind is a physical edition of The Last Guardian, which if I recall has an unlocked framerate in its unpatched form, making 60fps gaming on PS5 a reality but only with the physical version. Maybe if you have that, try and hold onto it?

Anything licensed that's out of print - look at Godzilla / Transformers / Turtles in Manhattan on PS4 

Certain companies like Inin's 2D re-releases. Ninja Saviours / Wild Guns etc. Reminds me I gotta pick up Pocky and Rocky before that goes OOP

The Yakuza games in the original / non classics seem to be creeping up as well. Which is good because getting a whole set of plastic case versions was a real pain in the ass.

I'd agree 3DS is definitely going to be a good shout. When the eShop goes down even not-so-sought-after boxed games will probably begin to go up in price (although not by much) as collectors want to get hold of them to complete a collection. It's strange how Switch physical games are snapped up immediately yet CEs on other consoles usually aren't worth it. But yeah just look at the Vita, even though it's less than a decade old you'd have a job getting in on that without spending some read dough. 

Let's face it though, most people are content to mod a system and play games like that, or emulate. It lessens demand yet it doesn't take that many people wanting something to drive the price up. 

Personally I have been looking at my spare room full of boxes and just wanting to get shot of the lot because I'm not a collector and find the idea of competing for games tiring. Oh for the 2000s when you could pick all this stuff up for relatively little money! 

360/PS3 onwards, forget it. Too reliant on online patching, DLC and other internet stuff to make it worthwhile. It'll be the pirates who make those systems keep going when things get fully shut down. 

Switch copies of the Final Fantasy pixel remakes. Produced in a limited quantity for some bizarre reason and sold out immediately. Nintendo hardware plus a limited quantity produced means profit in the future.

8 hours ago, Qazimod said:

Suggested browsing: https://www.pricecharting.com/

I'm not sitting on any gold but I was pretty surprised by its guideline for PAL Persona 3 FES ($92 loose) - it's on my shelf at the moment with its box and manual, sharing company with vanilla P3 and Portable.

I did give away a bunch of old PS2 and 360 stuff years ago, but nothing that really has value. God Hand maybe? 🤔

I also have FES. The PAL copy was pushing £200 on ebay before the port of P3P to modern systems but I think it has dropped somewhat, despite it containing exclusive content that Atlus couldn't be bothered to try and somehow fit into the modern port (I was hoping they'd somehow merge the exclusive elements of both FES and Portable for one big definitive edition but no dice it would seem...).

Amusingly enough, my FES still has the receipt in the box from when I ordered it on release from Play.com (remember them?) for...£17.99!!!! This was the PS2 twilight era when even full-fat, quality games were £20 or less. Yakuza 2, Baroque, Ar Tonelico 2, Mana Khemia...all sub-£20 new releases (Mana Khemia was £25 iirc because it only came in a LE package).

I've got rid of most of my stuff and just play it from the HDD now as I don't want tons of physical stuff anymore, regardless of whether it will go up down the line. There's a small stack of stuff that I will be listing for sale once I've ripped the discs including stuff like Metal Slug Anthology, SNK Arcade Classics, Yakuza 2, Rogue Galaxy, Marvel Vs Capcom 2 and more and then that's it. Keeping a small handful of around 10 personal favourites that I'm sentimental for such as FES, God Hand, Valkyrie Profile 2, Silent Hill 2 Directors Cut etc. but the rest can go.

5 hours ago, Down by Law said:

Certain companies like Inin's 2D re-releases. Ninja Saviours / Wild Guns etc. Reminds me I gotta pick up Pocky and Rocky before that goes OOP

Been meaning to pick that up for ages, definitely one that will shoot up in price once it’s no longer in retail. Switch version is £18 on Amazon, so picked it up, isn’t going to get any cheaper than that. 

4 hours ago, ScoobyDoom said:

Anything that's done by Limited Run Games I'd have thought and small print run niche games

I’d have said that a few years ago but the market for limited run releases is so over saturated right now that I doubt it’s a given. Maybe some of the releases of cult and much loved series but those mass buying them up planning to bank it in a few years time will end up disappointed. 

5 hours ago, Down by Law said:

Anything licensed that's out of print - look at Godzilla / Transformers / Turtles in Manhattan on PS4 

The Yakuza games in the original / non classics seem to be creeping up as well. Which is good because getting a whole set of plastic case versions was a real pain in the ass.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pocky-Rocky-Reshrined-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B09SQPKWDY/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2FPKLD2083YC8&keywords=pocky%2Band%2Brocky%2Bswitch&qid=1672866107&sprefix=pocky%2Band%2Brocky%2Caps%2C162&sr=8-1&th=1

UNder £19 atm, your post reminded me to go buy it 😛

6 hours ago, ScoobyDoom said:

Anything that's done by Limited Run Games I'd have thought and small print run niche games

Came here to mention these. I keep a weather eye on Mega Drive releases, plus Kickstarters for that and other old consoles. Although much less often for KS these days, as its a minefield. See example below.... 

But yeah, the market for these is incredibly small, yet likely still at least double or triple what's produced. So niche that unless you're constantly looking out for them, you'll miss them and have to go to the secondary market. 

I bought the Demons of Astebourg limited edition on release, knowing that even if I wanted to sell (which I don't) I'd easily get double. Lo and behold... 

Screenshot_20230104-213325_1672868018913_1672868398397_1672868549523.thumb.jpg.f480a90ed53d9851c9a5bd0c6a721885.jpg

A few years back there was a KS for a game called Paprium. It was funded but the developer guy was (reputedly) an arsehole. Failed to ship to most of the backers and blanked them when they complained.

It can't even be properly emulated due to the way its coded. Copies go for about £500 when they occasionally appear on ebay. 

Screenshot_20230104-213024_1672867840568.thumb.jpg.999ca65893e066b452eeffe720f1f629.jpg

Even guys who ship retail and intend to keep sales going for as long as possible will eventually have stock no longer available or viable. Like this guy who creates and sells big box Amiga games on physical floppy. I expect getting a copy or two of these would increase multiple times in value over the next 20 years. Providing the disks don't rot :D

https://www.geezergames.co.uk/

Screenshot_20230104-220117_1672869700345.thumb.jpg.0f9a4cc00835fcca441d00b814e73f95.jpg

35 minutes ago, Treble said:

Came here to mention these. I keep a weather eye on Mega Drive releases, plus Kickstarters for that and other old consoles. Although much less often for KS these days, as its a minefield. See example below.... 

But yeah, the market for these is incredibly small, yet likely still at least double or triple what's produced. So niche that unless you're constantly looking out for them, you'll miss them and have to go to the secondary market. 

I bought the Demons of Astebourg limited edition on release, knowing that even if I wanted to sell (which I don't) I'd easily get double. Lo and behold... 

Screenshot_20230104-213325_1672868018913_1672868398397_1672868549523.thumb.jpg.f480a90ed53d9851c9a5bd0c6a721885.jpg

A few years back there was a KS for a game called Paprium. It was funded but the developer guy was (reputedly) an arsehole. Failed to ship to most of the backers and blanked them when they complained.

It can't even be properly emulated due to the way its coded. Copies go for about £500 when they occasionally appear on ebay. 

Screenshot_20230104-213024_1672867840568.thumb.jpg.999ca65893e066b452eeffe720f1f629.jpg

Even guys who ship retail and intend to keep sales going for as long as possible will eventually have stock no longer available or viable. Like this guy who creates and sells big box Amiga games on physical floppy. I expect getting a copy or two of these would increase multiple times in value over the next 20 years. Providing the disks don't rot :D

https://www.geezergames.co.uk/

Screenshot_20230104-220117_1672869700345.thumb.jpg.0f9a4cc00835fcca441d00b814e73f95.jpg

Demons of Asteborg is a banger :) preordered their next game Astebros a while back. I like to keep my eye on new MD releases not due to collector syndrome, although I know I have to bite early if I want a copy as I’m not paying three figures for any game, but because I’m a massive Sega geek and love new games on these systems. Many pish homebrew releases so need a discerning eye but a new banger on the Megadrive is a real treasure for me. Just got an email that Life on Mars has been dispatched, psyched to play it.