Condiment war! Fridge or Cupboard?

Orion

Ketchup and mustard are fridge in my eyes. Brown sauce is cupboard. Mayo and salad cream has to be fridge. Surely no wrong uns here put those in the cupboard after opening.

Hot sauces I put thicker ones like Sriracha in the fridge, thinner ones like Franks or chilli oil go in the cupboard. 

This was inspired by a heated debate at work about where Branston Pickle and Worcester sauce should live. Obviously fridge and cupboard respectfully. 

Ketchup is cupboard definitely, it keeps just fine. Mustard I'm no expert on, and haven't had for ages. Being a veggie I rarely use the stuff. Thinking about it, it doesn't last well out of the the fridge, so maybe in. Mayo in the fridge absolutely, salad cream is cupboard though - it will not go off (within reasonable parameters). All chilli sauces go in the fridge. (unless large oil content) They probably don't need to, it's just where I like them. Any oils go in the cupboard. Oily stuff can set and go weird in the fridge.

Branston is fine in the cupboard. It will live there happily for months, and is better at room temperature than cold. Worcester sauce would definitely live in the cupboard if it was veggie.

Beyond that pickles like pickled onions and gherkins go in the fridge. They don't need to - they're pickled FFS - they'll keep for ages. I just prefer a crisp chilled pickled onion to a warm one.

4 hours ago, Gotters said:

it's not that odd when the side of most sauce bottles says 'once open refrigerate and consume within .... weeks'

They're playing it safe on the bottle. The acidity in the tomatoes and the vinegar in the product mean it's totally fine outside the fridge.

Most people put fresh tomatoes in the fridge too - most people are animals.

people always quote a Which review when they like it, when not they're a bunch of shills.

anyway it's not just about food safety with sauces, whilst a vinegar sauce may not go off outside the fridge it will oxidise and degrade at a faster rate, which will impact on taste.

depending on how quickly you consume a bottle then the fridge will keep it tasting at it's best for longer.

remember the words of Nicole Kulwicki, director of brand building for Heinz Ketchup, who says the product doesn’t need refrigeration until after you open it. “Because of its natural acidity, Heinz Ketchup is shelf-stable. However, its stability after opening can be affected by storage conditions. We recommend that this product be refrigerated after opening to maintain the best product quality.”

20 minutes ago, Gotters said:

people always quote a Which review when they like it, when not they're a bunch of shills.

anyway it's not just about food safety with sauces, whilst a vinegar sauce may not go off outside the fridge it will oxidise and degrade at a faster rate, which will impact on taste.

depending on how quickly you consume a bottle then the fridge will keep it tasting at it's best for longer.

remember the words of Nicole Kulwicki, director of brand building for Heinz Ketchup, who says the product doesn’t need refrigeration until after you open it. “Because of its natural acidity, Heinz Ketchup is shelf-stable. However, its stability after opening can be affected by storage conditions. We recommend that this product be refrigerated after opening to maintain the best product quality.”

I've never kept ketchup in a fridge (always in a cool, dark place) and never noticed a decline in quality, at all. 

What's more, cold ketchup is grim, it ruins hot food. Keeping it in the fridge would mean you'd have to take it out and get it to room temp every time, what a faff.

I'm also (although it's not relevant in this particular case) extremely wary of putting tomatoes in the fridge as fridges completely ruin them, so by extension to me ketchup in the fridge feels really, really wrong.

If it's something I use fast enough (ketchup or salad cream) it stays out. It won't last long enough for me to notice a deterioration. If it's something that is gonna hang around (chutneys and the like) it goes in. (Branston still stays out - it has never gone off in all the time I've used the stuff).

Erm, they all have to go in the fridge. Except pickles. Since they started reducing the amount of salt and removed artificial preservatives, the manufacturers recommend storing the majority of condiments in the fridge. Unless you’re tanking through a bottle of sauce every two weeks.

Sure, this is from the Mail (in 2014), but you don’t have to read the Mail.. thankfully. It goes through what should be stored in the cupboard or fridge. 

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/daily-mail/20140807/282342562988633

15 hours ago, gone fishin said:

Erm, they all have to go in the fridge. Except pickles. Since they started reducing the amount of salt and removed artificial preservatives, the manufacturers recommend storing the majority of condiments in the fridge. Unless you’re tanking through a bottle of sauce every two weeks.

Sure, this is from the Mail (in 2014), but you don’t have to read the Mail.. thankfully. It goes through what should be stored in the cupboard or fridge. 

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/daily-mail/20140807/282342562988633

Much of that is what I'd do. Over cautious on  a couple (IMO), but still good advice

The only one that goes in the fridge is mayo. 

I have never kept ketchup, salad cream, HP sauce, Branston, chili sauces, mustard, horse radish, mint sauce, etc, etc in a fridge and have never noticed a degradation in any of them even with  most lasting for many, many  months before getting used up. I don't want cold condiments at all and keeping them in a fridge is obviously a sign of madness and deep depravity.

I make batches of my own hot mango and pineapple sauces which I do keep in the fridge but that's really because it tends to thicken more and, given that I've made it myself, I'm unsure of how it will keep (it lasts forever in the fridge and suspect it'd not be too harmful if kept in the cupboard as there is a dose of vinegar and citric acid in there to preserve).

I'm going to try to remember to do an experiment. The next time I run out of ketchup and salad cream, I'm going to put the bottles aside (in a cupboard) and keep them for six months, maybe a year. Then I'll try eating the dregs. I am absolutely certain they will be fine. I will report back (assuming I'm not dead from condiment poisoning).

41 minutes ago, MarkN said:

I'm going to try to remember to do an experiment. The next time I run out of ketchup and salad cream, I'm going to put the bottles aside (in a cupboard) and keep them for six months, maybe a year. Then I'll try eating the dregs. I am absolutely certain they will be fine. I will report back (assuming I'm not dead from condiment poisoning).

I support this initiative but you need to do a test with both at the same time. So one in the fridge and one in the cupboard.

On 02/01/2023 at 20:10, Orion said:

Ketchup and mustard are fridge in my eyes. Brown sauce is cupboard. Mayo and salad cream has to be fridge. Surely no wrong uns here put those in the cupboard after opening.

Hot sauces I put thicker ones like Sriracha in the fridge, thinner ones like Franks or chilli oil go in the cupboard. 

This was inspired by a heated debate at work about where Branston Pickle and Worcester sauce should live. Obviously fridge and cupboard respectfully. 

It's so rare in these sort of discussions that someone aligns so perfectly with my – i.e. the correct – world view of condiment storage, Let's not risk spoiling this perfect moment by mentioning piccalilli. 

I have a tomato ketchup squeeze bottle in the cupboard, I only ever use it on chippers or a fish finger sandwich (with Tabasco), so it’s easily been in there for a year now. It’s fine.

The only thing that really upsets me with Tommy K is when it hasn’t been shaken up properly and has that vile vinegary discharge that soaks your lovely chips. Whether the bottle being in the fridge or cupboard effects this phenomenon remains unclear. Come on boffins, get on the case.

I can't get my head around the idea of keeping Tabasco in the fridge or that it has to used inside six months even then. 

I'm not even sure how you would create a scenario where it could go bad. Maybe leave it on a windowsill for weeks?  

21 hours ago, Art Vandelay said:

It does eventually lose its vibrancy and turns an upsetting shade of brown. That seems inevitable though for a product you use a pipettes worth every few months.

What? We go through a bottle every three weeks! Mind you, I love tabasco with everything. For breakfast on a Saturday I always have veggie chorizo sausages, baked beans cooked with butter and lots of tabasco, and scrambled eggs which I cover in Tabasco sauce. I call it my cowboy breakfast.

Let's just accept that the camera on my phone is shockingly piss-poor. These go in the cupboard today and will not be touched for at least six months (I may leave it the year just to be ornery(such a good word)). They are not premium brands. It will make no difference. I will try to remember to add photographic evidence of what they look like when I taste them, but then you'll be comparing it with pics that look this bad.

But tastewise I'll compare them both with freshly opened bottles of the same stuff.

IMG_20230110_191447.jpg.38cff95e3cbe4bcbf952aa496d7fafef.jpg