IGNORED

The last Ridge Racer Full Scale arcade cabinet in the UK

aeroflott

2 hours ago, dumpster said:

Yeah, back then there was the R360 which had its own attendant. It was a quid for 5 minutes so that equates to £20 an hour. Surely requiring an attendant to safely strap you in removes half that profit immediately.

I had a quick check to find out what the minimum wage was in 1995, and there wasn't one!

When the minimum wage was introduced in 1999, it was £3 an hour for 18-21 year olds, and £3.60 for people aged 22 or above. Those attendants in 1995 were probably paid less.

4 minutes ago, chris on the moon said:

I had a quick check to find out what the minimum wage was in 1995, and there wasn't one!

When the minimum wage was introduced in 1999, it was £3 an hour for 18-21 year olds, and £3.60 for people aged 22 or above. Those attendants in 1995 were probably paid less.

Oh I'm sure the machines were attended by a bored 15 year old on £20 a day, but it's all extra expense isn't it? 

Going back to the 80s, you'd have an eclectic mix of video game cabinets, fruit machines, Tipping Point style penny falls and so on.  But when arcade machines started to be elaborate simulator cabinets like Full Scale or R360, it seems unlikely to me that they turn a profit in and of themselves.  I'd assume the arcade makes more money overall by installing them, as people come for the 360 then play other machines while they are there, but it seems no surprise that today it's all ticket redemption machines and gambling.   I guess the video game industry priced itself out of the market to some extent.  

Or maybe, someone buys an Outrun 2 machine for £68,000 then it gets played for a couple of years before they sell it on for £60,000.  Is that how it works?

It seems mad to me that, for example, you can buy a Quest 2 and play that roller coaster simulator, total spend about £300.  Or you can have it built into an arcade cabinet and suddenly it's thousands and thousands of pounds.

4 hours ago, ScouserInExile said:

It's been a while since I played it, but I had it in my head the basic structure was you had to win all races to progress, then if you won all of them you'd have a single race against the white / angel car, then if you beat that, you'd have another single race against the black / devil car.

I'm probably wrong, though, it's 27 years since I played it last, I reckon. The PAL version was the first game I tested for Sony and I don't think I've played it since.

I was playing it just the other week and it's play a race, win/lose, game over, back to the title screen.

If you come first in everything you unlock the bonus tracks - those being the original tracks in reverse. If you beat those, again all in first, you get the devil car.

But it's always* Game Over, back to the title screen, at the end of a race.

Related: Ridge Racer's still really good fun.

*apart from when you 'complete' it and get a credits roll

17 hours ago, dumpster said:

I wonder about the way the arcade industry works.  Like, I was at Arcade Club the other day and I was fucking LOVING Daytona, the recent remake with the cameras pointing at you and the Widescreens and when I came home I googled it and found one for sale, you know, to go in the garage.  And it was £35,000.  I remember when Outrun 2 came out it was £68,000 for a 2 player and you have to wonder don't you... 

So if that Ridge Racer FullScale was £250,000 how the hell do they expect to make their money back? I guess the machines become a draw - come for the Ridge Racer and stay for everything else.  But there are so many business ventures you could go into that offer a much better return.  Imagine being the arcade owner waiting for 68,000 people to have played Outrun 2 so you can finally start turning a profit. It's almost a loss leader.

That £250,000 is nigh-on £500,000 in today's money as well.

Sadly this tale isn't the first time, I've seen arcade games sitting outside to the British elements. I doubt very much it is the last Ridge Racer Full Scale in operation, suspect there many be a few others left over the world. Last one in the UK? well maybe, I know there was one of these beasts in the Skegness arcades in the 90s.

Whoever bought it clearly didn't have the space and likely wanted the kudos for owning it, said a lot about people who want to archive this stuff. Not impressed with these museums as well, if you really cared about this stuff, you would have wanted the arcade to sell it to you. If I had the money I would happy pay to set up a proper archive for this stuff. Most of the archives website and projects I've not been that impressed with with as they often fall apart after a few years. The poor state of Amiga disk archiving is one such example.

Reading the article makes me glad that I got to play on the Blackpool one at least once. Must have been 15/16 years ago now.

The 13-year-old me wasn't too impressed because it was an old game with a low play time but now as an adult who spent a good hour playing the sit down at arcade club this summer, I can appreciate the craziness of this thing's existence so much more.

55 minutes ago, Gregory Wolfe said:

I'm half doubting myself but my memory suggests there was one in the arcade at Alton Towers. I'm confident that most people don't even recall there being an Arcade at Alton Towers...

au contraire! That’s where I played space harrier deluxe. Which I think was next to outrun deluxe and super hang-on and operation wolf

image.jpeg.380e15b6bcca9b6de4f381d334ad5871.jpeg

I go to a bowling alley regularly which has a few modern arcade machines. Most of them are just glorified phone games but they have a couple of bangers, Cruisin Blast, and the most recent Mario Kart arcade.

Both steering wheels on mario kart are fucked, no FFB and the sensitivity is messed up. I notice it immediately because there's another cabinet in town which works perfect and makes the game far better. Never gets fixed. That's a really expensive machine! 16k for a single cabinet and I have always seen it in two cabinet configuration.

It amazes me complex arcades from 30+ years ago like the Ridge Racer one could survive more than a few months!

On 23/11/2022 at 23:29, SeanR said:

au contraire! That’s where I played space harrier deluxe. Which I think was next to outrun deluxe and super hang-on and operation wolf

I grew up playing this at Eastbourne Pier.

Had a go on one relatively recently at Play Expo too - got off when I saw there was someone standing nearby looking like he was waiting to have a go. It was Matt Smith of Manic Miner/JSW fame. He said he wasn't going to get on it because he would break it!

On 23/11/2022 at 23:29, SeanR said:

I would not have thought Space Harrier deluxe was that rare, that was the version which appeared in my local arcade. I have no idea if there is still an arcade at Alton Towers and I don't recall the last time I went there. I shall remedy this situation, early next year.