GamePass - How much do you value it?

MattyP

Quick Poll - How many pay full asking price for GamePass on a monthly basis?  

165 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Do you currently use GamePass because its cheap? (gold trick) or do you genuinely value it (Ie: would you pay full RRP for it).

Just be interesting to see if people are just using it because of the offers and its pretty cheap with the Gold conversion trick.

I'd pay for it full price when the new big game comes out for it (Halo Infinite, Bethesda's new games etc) but probably cancel in fallow months. I mean theres usually something worth playing every month but I don't get the time to play all of them.

1 minute ago, dizogg said:

I'd pay for it full price when the new big game comes out for it (Halo Infinite, Bethesda's new games etc) but probably cancel in fallow months. I mean theres usually something worth playing every month but I don't get the time to play all of them.

Totally, if you are paying full price then I'd probably do every other month or every 3. No reason not to. If there is a game that I want to play continuously then I'd buy it regardless.

I used to subscribe, dipped in for a month when Turtles Shredders Revenge went on there but ultimately cancelled again. I always paid full price for it. I found there wasn’t all that much on there for me, and the lack of new releases meant it wasn’t worth it to me. I can certainly see the value for others, but I’m also a collector so end up buying stuff anyway.

I'm using the Gold trick which expires in March next year.

Generally think its great and on par would get the value at full RRP. However guess I'll see next year - there are rumours of it increasing in price. I think around £10 a month is the sweet spot for me. If it goes up to say £15 then I would probably think twice. Because I currently have a Series S I will be at the mercy of digital store prices! :D To be fair there are plenty of sales and places to get codes for games anyway.

I'm not overly fussed about the big AAA games so much as the indie titles. Handy to try the big releases though as part of the package. 

14 minutes ago, dizogg said:

I do the gold trick, and I think I'm covered until 2025, but we should normalize this with any subscription. They can up prices on a whim, we should cancel on a whim.

I answered that I'm currently on El Cheapo Gold Trick but I'd pay full price if that wasn't available. I think the only wrinkle then would be I'd treat it like any TV streaming sub and dip in and out at different times depending on what was currently on there that I wanted to play. In practice that might end up meaning I'd still be subbed all the time, but I wouldn't do it for a three year chunk (or even one year) all in advance - it would be a monthly payment and only when I was planning to use it.

Edit: yeah, what they said ⬆️

2 minutes ago, Darren said:

it would be a monthly payment and only when I was planning to use it.

Absolutely. And as I'm knee-deep in Cyberpunk at the moment, and gaming as fallen out of fashion at Chez Stu with the kids, it makes no sense to keep that going. Meanwhile, I'd just cash out of rewards and probably no longer bother as anything other than occasional DLC money.

Gamepass at full price is good value. Its not good value for me though beyond the discounted rate. I don't use it enough to justify it but since its so cheap I don't mind having a sub to pick up the odd game on there. 

Like others at full price I have no reason for an ongoing sub and would only subscribe when a big game came out I wanted to blitz through in a month. 

17 minutes ago, phillv85 said:

I used to subscribe, dipped in for a month when Turtles Shredders Revenge went on there but ultimately cancelled again. I always paid full price for it. I found there wasn’t all that much on there for me, and the lack of new releases meant it wasn’t worth it to me. I can certainly see the value for others, but I’m also a collector so end up buying stuff anyway.

Yeah... I have a cheap subscription until 2024 or so and hardly use it at all.

I am currently on the Gold conversion trick but that runs out in February. I'm praying they don't close the trick before then.

That said, I would happily pay full price for Gamepass. But if the option is still there to stack 3 years for cheap of course I'm going to do that instead.

Gamepass has fundamentally changed the way I consume and how much I spend on games now. I will still buy big games I'm really hyped for at launch - it's not stopping me from buying the new Zelda or Resi 4 Remake day one, for example. But it means that in between the big new releases, I always have a stream of interesting stuff to play. Rather than having to spend money to take a punt on something I'm not sure about, I can just try some games on Gamepass instead. 

Some months I don't always get the most out of Gamepass. I doubt I'll touch it for a month when the new Zelda comes out. But other months I use it all the time. Just like streaming services I guess, I can't be arsed constantly cancelling and resubbing. In general, I get more than enough value out of it to just let it be an ever present thing.

I struggle to get value from it with the Gold conversion so the full whack is a definite no-no. 

The Steam Deck has probably killed my interest in the subscription services for good tbh. Between the emulators and the Steam sales I can spend as little as I would on Game Pass but on an indie/old games library that’s specifically tailored to me, on a machine that’s better suited to play it. Vampire Survivors is great on a portable but I’m never going to play it on my living room TV.

As for the blockbusters, PS5 covers that base and even if Microsoft ever do get up to speed with their exclusives I still won’t have the free time to get the most out of the subscription.

It took me best part of five months to play through Elden Ring, if Starfield is good then it will be at least the same. If that’s at full price for Game Pass it’s  essentially more than £50-60, I’d be better off buying it. 

I have it until the end of next year, but only because at the time it was the only way I could buy a Series X. I can absolutely see why people love it, but I just don't use it much. It's good to try out a few odds and sods, but by and large I buy the games I want. 

I know the concepts of ownership when it comes to digital stuff is a bit moot, but in all honesty I like having having all this stuff on my big fuck off external hard-drive waiting for me when I want to use it, without wondering if its going to go off game-pass (or any other service like this). It certainly does represent good value for money, just not for the way I like to consume my media.

I got 10 months with the Gold conversion trick about 3 years ago and I've been topping it up with Reward points since then and still have over a year left on my sub (and enough reward points to stack another year if I wanted to). I had to put I got GamePass with the Gold Conversion trick as there is no option to say that I am currently paying for it with reward points.

Having said that I'd definitely pay the full price for it if that was the only way as for me as there is an awful lot that I play on there, as does my son.

I did the conversion trick back when it was new and now I just top it up with rewards points (have 2 years stacked).

A couple of years ago I would have totally answered that I would pay full price, but now I wouldn't. I'm sick of the same styles of games over and over (Rogue likes, survival games and walking simulators) and I'm not finding a whole lot that floats my boat nowadays. To be fair the Assassin's Creed additions thud year have been very good, but I own them both already. 

What I would personally like to see is a greater variety of games  and a bit more quality control when it comes to a lot of the indies. Happy to keep going with rewards paying for it for the meantime. 

Subbed via Gold conversion trick until next June. I earn enough MS Reward points that I won't have to pay for it using "real money" for a while.

As others have said, if I had to pay full RRP for it, I'd subscribe for a month when a big AAA was released and then cancel afterwards.

I started off the year finishing a fair few games through GP but as the Sony titles have been released I've spent less time on the Xbox and more on the PS5.

It's the best. It has so much variety on there. There are new games all the time and stuff I would never buy normally and love like vampire hunters and dragon quest 

Also helps me identify steaming piles of shit that in the past I'd have dropped forty quid on to test out.

€120 for the 3 years is excellent value for me to pay and "forget" about.

At €12 / month or more I'd probably cancel to be honest. It's great on paper but like Netflix and all the other subscription stuff I'm not interested in paying more than I need to for them, if at all

56 minutes ago, Flanders said:

The Steam Deck has probably killed my interest in the subscription services for good tbh. Between the emulators and the Steam sales I can spend as little as I would on Game Pass but on an indie/old games library that’s specifically tailored to me, on a machine that’s better suited to play it. Vampire Survivors is great on a portable but I’m never going to play it on my living room TV.

The one exception to this is Humble Choice. You get steam keys (95 percent of the time) every month you get to keep forever unless the console sub services. At the moment they have a deal for a 12 month package for £77 which works out to less than £6.50 a month for 8 game keys many of which will be playable on deck

I don't think I would have subbed in the first place if it wasn't for the trick. I love it and there's plenty on there I want to play - a bit too much to be honest. I guess I'm a completionist so I'm not getting through everything I want to do before more new games come on. That's on me, though.

I also somehow feel obliged more to play Game Pass games because I'm paying for it on an ongoing basis (technically not given the up-front conversion payment but it feels that way), which means games I've gotten elsewhere in my back catalogue don't get a look in so much these days.

What I'm saying is that if it went up in price I might reconsider to just focus on playing through my extensive pile of shame and come back at a later date. I'd miss the thrill of the new but I'm not too fussed. On the other hand, the kids love it, too, and use it as well so I'd probably keep it for them if prices aren't too ridiculous. In the end, a game's a game to me, regardless of the platform.

48 minutes ago, Flanders said:

I struggle to get value from it with the Gold conversion so the full whack is a definite no-no. 

As for the blockbusters, PS5 covers that base and even if Microsoft ever do get up to speed with their exclusives I still won’t have the free time to get the most out of the subscription.

It took me best part of five months to play through Elden Ring, if Starfield is good then it will be at least the same. If that’s at full price for Game Pass it’s  essentially more than £50-60, I’d be better off buying it. 

Yeah I get this totally. 

As I'm someone who like to roll credits and only plays a couple of games to completion then moves onto something new, Gamepass is not really working out for me. 
I keep installing stuff and basically not launching it then deleting it when it leaves, also yes! I spend around 5 months playing Elden Ring and Platinumed the sucker and would have it no other way. 

I'm not a dipper, I do not like to bin stuff at the smallest moment of friction and basically Gamepass this year has cost me around £40 to basically play As Dusk Falls and Immortality and that's it. At least I didn't have to pay full whack for something like Scorn, but early impressions alerted to it being a dull regardless. 

If I wasn't doing the conversion trick, I would probably still pay full price - I'd probably only subscribe when there's a game I definitely want to play, mind. I'm happy doing that for lesser services like EA Play back when Anthem was a thing I had to try out for a laugh, so Gamepass looks like a massive bargain compared to that and the heady days of renting games for the week at a fiver a pop.

I don’t own an Xbox anymore and I can’t see me ever owning a Series X, so there’s no way I’d pay full price as I only stream, and only occasionally. The cheap Gold trick just about makes it worthwhile for me.

If they offered a cheaper, streaming-only version I’d go for that instead, but the odd thing is that would cost the most for MS to provide, but is worth the least to the consumer, so it’ll probably never happen.