Pentiment - medieval murder mystery from Obsidian - Xbox, PC, Game Pass

BadgerFarmer

1 hour ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

The game I'm most hyped for this year. I love the concept, it's totally my thing. I love the unique artstyle, it's totally my thing. And I usually love Obsidian RPGs, they are totally my thing.

For example, I absolutely love New Vegas - the best polygonal Fallout by far. I love Alpha Protocol despite its flaws, one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. KotOR2 is the best KotOR. And Pillars of Eternity 2 Deadfire is objectively the best classical style cRPG ever made but people overlooked it because Pillars 1 was mediocre.

While everyone keeps asking for the new Elder Scrolls and getting hype about Starfield, all I can think about is Avowed. And while everyone is debating whether GoW Ragnarok or Sonic Frontiers is GotY, I'll be loving Pentiment long time.

Obsidian :wub:

49 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Are you reviewing this one, @BadgerFarmer? Got any rllmuk-exclusive 🔥hot takes🔥 for us if so?

I am, yes. And while I can't say anything yet of course, the fact that I thought it was worth creating a thread might tell you something.

I also did the preview piece for Edge recently, and one thing that came up there was that the devs are big fans of Umberto Eco and The Name of the Rose. And even in the demo I played there was a definite Eco vibe to it.  

Yeah, this has been at the top of my wantlist since it was announced; I'm always excited for Obsidian's games, particularly those led by Josh Sawyer, and this is clearly a labour of love.

(also, it's technically not a a medieval murder mystery; per SaintAnselm's note, it's set during the reformation, so is more properly an early modern murder mystery)

7 minutes ago, SaintAnselm said:

The Medieval period ended the moment Martin Luther pinned his 95 Theses to the door of All-Saints church in Wittenberg.

I realise no-one really cares about this but as a holder of an MA in Medieval history who now spends his days doing peoples grocery shopping, it’s just nice to use my ridiculously expensive education once in a while.

This is true but the whole thing being wrapped up around manuscript culture makes it culturally medieval as the early modern is often closely connected to the printing press... 😜 That's from my own expensive educational perspective :)

33 minutes ago, Wiper said:

Yeah, I'm just being pedantic (classicist has sympathy for later period historians' era categorisations)!

As a practicing early modernist scholar I'm increasingly ambivalent about periodisations as there was a lot of 'early modern' thought and culture in the 'Medieval' period :)

22 minutes ago, earlymodernsteve said:

As a practicing early modernist scholar I'm increasingly ambivalent about periodisations as there was a lot of 'early modern' thought and culture in the 'Medieval' period :)

I think we can both agree on to never dare call the Medieval period the “dark ages”.

I've no real idea what the fuck this game actually is but I'm still interested. If it wasn't on Gamepass I might search out a few previews and such to understand it more but my plan for now is go in blond.

Fake Edit: Go in blind clearly. Going in blond made me giggle so I'm leaving it there. 

18 hours ago, Gavin said:

🙄 *feels interest in Pentiment, as a game, rapidly dwindling* 

😋

17 hours ago, BadgerFarmer said:

I thought I'd made it sound enticing, now the history are nerds are scaring people away.

Well, *raspberries* to you both 😜 Tbf, though, if you don't have the patience to scroll past a few heartfelt history nerd comments then Pentiment may not be the game for you anyway ;)

Looking forward to hearing people's reactions to the game, whether from an 'over-educated' or layperson perspective. It's longer than I was  expecting too with more going on than the quick synopsis suggests. I'm still mostly spending ages zooming out and enjoying the marginal animal illustrations.

17 minutes ago, earlymodernsteve said:

That and pottage don't travel so well :)

Here's my thoughts: https://www.thesixthaxis.com/2022/11/14/pentiment-review/

Love that writeup @BadgerFarmer jealous of the word count you were allowed :) Had to cut loads from my musings to fit the house style.

Thanks. Enjoyed reading yours too.

I still had to cut mine down quite a bit because there's so much to talk about with this game. But it was good to have some room and freedom to get into the themes a little.