Jump to content

World Cup Qatar 2022 - Desert Strike


Boothjan
 Share

Recommended Posts

I'd take a fairly certain guess that Bergkamp's goal, with the Dutch commentary, is the goal I've watched the most (although Alisson's header at West Brom runs it close)

 

Watched the game home alone in '98, with the Beeb obvs, and vividly remember celebrating like a man man because it was just so extraordinary. Had been a good game prior to that, the usual tense knockout affair, but the brilliance of Bergkamp's goal, at that stage of a match, is something rarified. Last-minute winners happen but not in a way that leaves you both open-mouthed and dizzy with the skill on display. Add in the celebration on the pitch and in the stands, and later the Dutch comms, and it is such a magical, pure moment of sporting virtuosity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

He did score another almost as nice during that season against Leicester too, which is a few goals into this compilation. I seem to remember that hat trick placed 1,2 and 3 in goal of the month. It's just unreal. This was maybe the second or third season my dad was taking us regularly to Highbury and with the exception of Messi I've honestly never seen anything like it in person since. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well I think I have very exciting world cup news but so far my son and other half have just shrugged.

 

I saw Ossie Ardiles, and Mrs Ossie, in my Sainsbury this morning whilst doing my shop. I know a lot of the old Spurs & Arsenal players from that era live round here.

 

He had a very disappointing trolly, it didn't look appealing and was a bit basic looking. They also didn't use self scan and queued at the tills.

 

It looks like him and Mrs Ardiles will be having roast chicken tonight for the big game, possibly with a pannetone for snacks if that is for today and not xmas prep.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Art Vandelay said:

He did score another almost as nice during that season against Leicester too, which is a few goals into this compilation. I seem to remember that hat trick placed 1,2 and 3 in goal of the month. It's just unreal. This was maybe the second or third season my dad was taking us regularly to Highbury and with the exception of Messi I've honestly never seen anything like it in person since. 

 

 

 

I'd not seen that second goal before! It's wild, flicking the ball past a player then everything stopping as they have a tussle, before he recommenses to blast the ball in. No one covering, the other defender just stares at the free ball and only moves as Bergkamp goes to shoot. I love how highlights can show a player in moments at their most determined, it gives an impression they were an unstoppable force of nature, unrealistic every minute of every game. Great choice of music. I had to check. BadBadNotGood - "DMZ". Never heard of them. 'No one above the age of 21 was involved in the making of this album. This album was recorded in one 10 hour session. Thanks to our friends, family, loved ones and anyone who fucks with us.'

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Naysonymous said:

If we are reporting sightings of footballers in the wild then I spotted Danny Ings outside the Tesco on Carrs Lane in Birmingham a couple of weeks ago.  I didn’t think to look at what he’d bought.  

 

I once met Fitz Hall outside Loftus Road after a QPR game. Nothing particular interesting in that I admit. However, when I was introduced to him, I had a moment of supreme self-consciousness and instead of saying, "hello mate, good game today," or something equally anodyne, I blurted out, "Alright Peds?" as some form of freestyle greeting.

 

No idea where "Peds" came from, but me and a few mates now use it as a term of endearment when greeting each other. I'd like to think he does the same...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think Perisic might be the footballer I dislike most in the world, at least in terms of what they do on the pitch.  He's a winger, so he should have some modicum of flair and imagination, but he's completely robotic. He runs in straight lines. He can finish, but even his best goals are efficient rather than beautiful. He's also a dirty player who sets out to hurt his opponent in every tackle. He leaves a foot in on every challenge.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, glb said:

 

I once met Fitz Hall outside Loftus Road after a QPR game. Nothing particular interesting in that I admit. However, when I was introduced to him, I had a moment of supreme self-consciousness and instead of saying, "hello mate, good game today," or something equally anodyne, I blurted out, "Alright Peds?" as some form of freestyle greeting.

 

No idea where "Peds" came from, but me and a few mates now use it as a term of endearment when greeting each other. I'd like to think he does the same...

Fitz Hall has my 2nd favourite footballing nickname. ‘One Size’. 
 

In first place is Kiki Musampa, who was nicknamed Chris. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Stopharage said:

Fitz Hall has my 2nd favourite footballing nickname. ‘One Size’. 
 

In first place is Kiki Musampa, who was nicknamed Chris. 

 

I always hoped a wily Mexican centre-half called Juan Seyes would be discovered and paired with Fitz. Alas, not even Harry Redknapp could discover such a player.

 

As much as I'd like a Brazil Argentina semi-final for the narrative, it would be hilarious if the old men of Croatia shaft that dream. With added Neymar tears for a welcome bonus.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

Brazil don't look as good when they have to play against a decent team. Vinicius nearly conjured something, but Croatia have been the better team.

 

Brazil don't have good full backs and the Casemiro/Paqueta midfield isn't the most creative either (why Bruno doesn't start I will never know). Also their forwards don't even try to press, it's quite weird and must be deliberate.

 

Croatia are getting a lot of joy on their right flank.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, The Fox said:

 

Brazil don't have good full backs and the Casemiro/Paqueta midfield isn't the most creative either (why Bruno doesn't start I will never know). Also their forwards don't even try to press, it's quite weird and must be deliberate.

 

Croatia are getting a lot of joy on their right flank.

 

Yeah, agreed. I love the fact that they need more control in midfield, so the conversation is all about bringing Fred on!  Fred gives you a lot of things, but control is absolutely not one of them.

 

Croatia's problem is a lack of penetration. It feels like a long-range banger is their most likely way of scoring, but the problem there is that Brazil have Alisson in goal. Their right wing-back has been excellent, although the fact that Vinicius is just letting him run is helping him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, The Fox said:

Fred is better than Paqueta tbf, that guy just doesn't have it.

 

It's a shame Croatia don't have better forwards to cause Brazil more problems.

 

It makes you appreciate the quality of Casemiro. With Paqueta next to him and Neymar at number 10, he's almost playing as Brazil's midfield on his own. Like you, I can't understand why they don't play Guimaraes. He's one of the best midfielders in the world at the moment.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.